DVC Resort Occupancy

dis@dills

Mouseketeer
I have been reading on the Boards about DVC resort occupancy rates being very high.
Does anyone have the room/villa counts (number of studios, 1 Bdrm, etc..) for the DVC properties including VB and HHI?
I know that it's impossible to predict occupancy rates throughout the year but any info will help.

Thanks in advance.

Matt

I've never seen any actual occupancy statistics, and DVC and Disney are pretty strict about keeping that kind of information confidential.

That said, since DVC is a timehsare, it is designed to run at basically full occupancy year round. In other words, the number of points sold, when fully used, would have every unit occupied all year. However, as units will need to go down for maintenance, DVC does retain a small percentage of units that are referred to as 'breakage'. This appears to be somewhere around 3% or so of a resorts' villas. When available, 'breakage' units are available for cash reservations. Thus the design 'occupancy' is probably pushing the 97% figure.

But a number of other factors affect occupancy rates. Since members can bank/borrow points and use them in other than their regular year, or use them for other options separate from a DVC resort reservation, the total point balance of rooms can vary full occupancy up or down. If someone uses 1000 points to take the whole family on a cruise, that's 1000 points worth of DVC villas that are not used. DVC attempts to rent rooms for that equivalent number of points, thus occupancy rates would vary due to the number of members who use points outside of DVC and DVC's success in renting those equivalent rooms.

High seasons pretty much are full occupancy as reflected by the number of posts we see regarding wait lists. Also resorts that are not fully sold out will have lower occupancy until all points are sold.

Just some thoughts.

I've never seen any actual occupancy statistics, and DVC and Disney are pretty strict about keeping that kind of information confidential.

That said, since DVC is a timehsare, it is designed to run at basically full occupancy year round. In other words, the number of points sold, when fully used, would have every unit occupied all year. However, as units will need to go down for maintenance, DVC does retain a small percentage of units that are referred to as 'breakage'. This appears to be somewhere around 3% or so of a resorts' villas. When available, 'breakage' units are available for cash reservations. Thus the design 'occupancy' is probably pushing the 97% figure.

But a number of other factors affect occupancy rates. Since members can bank/borrow points and use them in other than their regular year, or use them for other options separate from a DVC resort reservation, the total point balance of rooms can vary full occupancy up or down. If someone uses 1000 points to take the whole family on a cruise, that's 1000 points worth of DVC villas that are not used. DVC attempts to rent rooms for that equivalent number of points, thus occupancy rates would vary due to the number of members who use points outside of DVC and DVC's success in renting those equivalent rooms.

High seasons pretty much are full occupancy as reflected by the number of posts we see regarding wait lists. Also resorts that are not fully sold out will have lower occupancy until all points are sold.

Just some thoughts.

Right on spot... but since you referenced HHI and VB... it might be helpful to know that VB is probably the easiest to acquire year round and HHI is pretty easy to acquire outside the June to October months.

If it has a beach... it is my favorite destination. :beach:

All I know is that the last couple times I've called, I have have so much trouble getting a room- ANYWHERE! And when we first joined almost 10 years ago, it seemed like I could call even a month or two out (in the value, through dream seasons) and there'd be a room available somewhere, maybe not my first choice but at least on my preferred dates. Not the case anymore even in the "value" (what I thought to be the lest busy) season- guess I'll have to be more prepared! So IMO, the occupancy numbers are higher than they used to be.

Until the last 90's timeshare in FL were required to furnish the occupancy numbers and actually publish a report that indcluded that info. Too bad that state law changed.

I have seen the occupancy rates of the YC/BC/BCV's. The BCV's run from 95-100% capacity year round.

I don't have a clue about the other Disney properties.

MsA

GREAT info as always from all "Board" members in regards to occupancy. I am speechless when it comes to the knoweldge and experience of all who post!!!

I didn't word my second question properly.

Does anyone have the number or rooms at each DVC, including VB and HHI, with the breakdown of each type? (ie. VB , 35 Studios, 50 1 Bdrm, 50 2 Bdrm, etc..)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter