DVC temporary policy rooms now between 4pm and 6pm?

If DVD would put a 3 day minimum stay, you will see this problem disappear, and a big drop in dues. Housekeeping is the largest cost.
That’s so very true, and other TS systems do charge extra housekeeping fees for stays of fewer than 7 nights.

But can you imagine the furor? Many owners love split stays, and I’ve seen more proud reports of multi resort split stays than I can count.

If DVD would put a 3 day minimum stay, you will see this problem disappear, and a big drop in dues. Housekeeping is the largest cost.

They can never mandate more than 5. But, I hope they never do that. I am here for one night to do the preview and what makes it great Is that I could.

That’s so very true, and other TS systems do charge extra housekeeping fees for stays of fewer than 7 nights.

But can you imagine the furor? Many owners love split stays, and I’ve seen more proud reports of multi resort split stays than I can count.
Just imagine the wrench that would throw into the works! Even a 3 day minimum would make it impossible for some owners to use their points, at their respective home resort, when you consider there ARE some 25 point contracts out there. If that is the only contract some people have for a particular resort, Disney would be basically forced to buy back all those contracts, as the only home resorts that have ANY studios under 27 points for 3 nights in 2023 are Hilton Head and AKL.

Just imagine the wrench that would throw into the works! Even a 3 day minimum would make it impossible for some owners to use their points, at their respective home resort, when you consider there ARE some 25 point contracts out there. If that is the only contract some people have for a particular resort, Disney would be basically forced to buy back all those contracts, as the only home resorts that have ANY studios under 27 points for 3 nights in 2023 are Hilton Head and AKL.

How would that even work? MANY resorts only HAVE 1-2 nights available. It's often that if I try to get in with less than 5 months, resorts will only have a day here or a day there. You can often make a split stay work by finding 2 days here and then 2 days over there - but that's your only option.

If there was a 3 day minimum, what would happen to those rooms that are between reservations and have only a day or two open? If they go as unused inventory and fall into breakage, that thrashes a system that is built on 100% occupancy and there would be a flood of unusable points - not just smaller contracts, but bigger ones too which have points and resorts with availability, but you are unable to use them because of a new rule, which would surely generate a lawsuit.

How would that even work? MANY resorts only HAVE 1-2 nights available. It's often that if I try to get in with less than 5 months, resorts will only have a day here or a day there. You can often make a split stay work by finding 2 days here and then 2 days over there - but that's your only option.

If there was a 3 day minimum, what would happen to those rooms that are between reservations and have only a day or two open? If they go as unused inventory and fall into breakage, that thrashes a system that is built on 100% occupancy and there would be a flood of unusable points - not just smaller contracts, but bigger ones too which have points and resorts with availability, but you are unable to use them because of a new rule, which would surely generate a lawsuit.

The contract does state they can institute a minimum and to recognize that when buying.

However, people complain about breakage now. Can you imagine what that would do?

I just spent 44 points for last night to coMe do the GOTG preview. That night might have ended up not booked with a minimum.

Got to RIV at noon and they found me a room ready. They then called me around 4 pm to ask if I’d like an upgrade since they needed the 1 bedroom I had been given…so little ole me is in a 2 bedroom!

I am glad you got that awesome upgrade, but unfortunately SOMEONE is going to read this and ask how they can get Pixie Dusted and use this as an example that it happens..... Danged entitlement.

The contract does state they can institute a minimum and to recognize that when buying.

However, people complain about breakage now. Can you imagine what that would do?

I just spent 44 points for last night to coMe do the GOTG preview. That night might have ended up not booked with a minimum.

What a contract SAYS and what they are legally allowed to DO are different things. If they tried to institute that rule, I would expect that the courts will have to decide, since somebody is going to make a point that Disney is still using those rooms - and making a profit off of them - at our expense (breakage).

In any event, I do not think they will do it. But if they did, they would certainly use the rooms for cash guests, and I am fairly certain it would be short lived before they would have to repeal it or compromise with DVC in some way.

I am not sure if the contract allows for it, but they might get farther if they tried to include a premium charge for a short stay.

But as I said, I think this is largely academic as I would be shocked if they ever tried it. However, I have been wrong before (famous last words, right?)

What a contract SAYS and what they are legally allowed to DO are different things. If they tried to institute that rule, I would expect that the courts will have to decide, since somebody is going to make a point that Disney is still using those rooms - and making a profit off of them - at our expense (breakage).

In any event, I do not think they will do it. But if they did, they would certainly use the rooms for cash guests, and I am fairly certain it would be short lived before they would have to repeal it or compromise with DVC in some way.

I am not sure if the contract allows for it, but they might get farther if they tried to include a premium charge for a short stay.

But as I said, I think this is largely academic as I would be shocked if they ever tried it. However, I have been wrong before (famous last words, right?)

I get that about contracts but you still then need to prove they don’t have a valid reason to implement it..which would be an uphill battle. My point was more it is something you know can happen.

But, in the end, it makes no sense to do as such because we pay for the housekeeping based on what it is and I would venture more DVC owners want the ability to book like it is not and not have a minimum and pay whatever extra costs it takes to turn over the rooms.

I get that about contracts but you still then need to prove they don’t have a valid reason to implement it..which would be an uphill battle. My point was more it is something you know can happen.

But, in the end, it makes no sense to do as such because we pay for the housekeeping based on what it is and I would venture more DVC owners want the ability to book like it is not and not have a minimum and pay whatever extra costs it takes to turn over the rooms.

I am just trying to imagine the exceptions that you KNOW are going to come up. For example, there were only rooms with 1-2 nights, so you could not make a reservation. Then someone cancels, and 3 days are open, but a cash room grabs it when a DVC member could have.

I can probably invent a dozen such scenarios where it starts to get ugly, right? And as you say, at the end of the day, they really need to give us the option to say "we are okay with the housekeeping charge"

Well if it is in the contract that Disney does have the ability to enforce a minimum night stay, then yes they can do it. But do they really have that many 1-3 night(s) stays booked that much?

Well if it is in the contract that Disney does have the ability to enforce a minimum night stay, then yes they can do it. But do they really have that many 1-3 night(s) stays booked that much?
It’s weekends. Looking at the availability tool lately for summer, some even tough to get rooms have availability since the VGF resort rooms dropped, but Fri through Mon gets hit first.

Absolutely they do. Quite a few. I am only basing that on empirical evidence, but if you watch room availability a few months out, you will see a lot of 1-2 night availability, and then those go down to very few open spaces by a month out when they go to the quick plan board.

I wonder how many people have a contract of 25 points at their non-home resort as an add on? That would be a fly in the opintment to minimum stays, as they couldn't use those points in their home resort 11 month timeframe, and I'm thinking legally, Disney would need to buy back those contracts if they ever did put in 3 day or longer minimum stays.

It’s weekends. Looking at the availability tool lately for summer, some even tough to get rooms have availability since the VGF resort rooms dropped, but Fri through Mon gets hit first.
Ok that makes sense with weekends. Seems like Disney doing this would be nothing but a win-win for them. They might consider it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter