DVC Vero Cancelled

Sammie, I travel A LOT. I have been to nearly every state in the US and many international destinations including every Disney park in the world. I just sent in a renewal for my 3rd passport for a planned trip to Amsterdam and France. You do need to be flexible and "go with the flow" when traveling. However, I do not consider canceling someone's beach vacation and walking them over 100 miles to be "small stuff". People are allowed to be upset and they are allowed to "make a fuss" and they are allowed to negotiate the best compensation they can for their inconvenience. It appears that most people are OK with being moved so I guess it's working out for them to their satisfaction.
I think this is a medium level issue. Certainly not more than that. I still think it's interesting and strange that the original poster has only one post and that this was their first Disney trip and that to Vero Beach. For someone in that situation who really wanted a Disney trip that chose Vero Beach because of the cost, might come out ahead in the situation.

Once again Disney IT screws up. This really is unacceptable. I am surprised that this "glitch" is only affecting VB. I would have thought it would have hit some of the other DVC properties.

I was one of the people who was affected several years ago with AKV concierge mess up. I was pretty darn upset about how that fiasco was handled. This one would have made me even madder.

I was one of the people who was affected several years ago with AKV concierge mess up. I was pretty darn upset about how that fiasco was handled. This one would have made me even madder.
Really, that surprises me. Were you one of the few that actually received compensation/replacement or were you just moved to SSR and refunded the points difference like most were? This is part of the issue, Disney is VERY inconsistent and they did handle that one and the other a few months later also involving AKV, particularly poorly. It looked at the time that they left it up to AKL to deal with most of the issues and they dropped the ball. The reality is things happen with reservations, computers, etc. I'm not sure that Disney's is any worse than most of the others I deal with.

I remember showing up in at a Hampton Inn in OK City about 12 years with a confirmed reservation but the hotel was still closed for remodeling and had been for around a year (I believe) after a bout of tornado's. I don't think they ever figured out how a reservation was made at a closed location that wasn't set to open for a couple of more months.

I think this is a medium level issue. Certainly not more than that. I still think it's interesting and strange that the original poster has only one post and that this was their first Disney trip and that to Vero Beach. For someone in that situation who really wanted a Disney trip that chose Vero Beach because of the cost, might come out ahead in the situation.

I again agree, hopefully the OP will come back and make an additional comment until then I find it odd.

However, I do not consider canceling someone's beach vacation and walking them over 100 miles to be "small stuff".
Except that's not really what is happening. Reading between the lines, they are working hard to find people who *can* or *will* move---presumably, that will free up enough inventory for people who would more strongly prefer not to.

Really, that surprises me. Were you one of the few that actually received compensation/replacement or were you just moved to SSR and refunded the points difference like most were? This is part of the issue, Disney is VERY inconsistent and they did handle that one and the other a few months later also involving AKV, particularly poorly. It looked at the time that they left it up to AKL to deal with most of the issues and they dropped the ball. The reality is things happen with reservations, computers, etc. I'm not sure that Disney's is any worse than most of the others I deal with.

I remember showing up in at a Hampton Inn in OK City about 12 years with a confirmed reservation but the hotel was still closed for remodeling and had been for around a year (I believe) after a bout of tornado's. I don't think they ever figured out how a reservation was made at a closed location that wasn't set to open for a couple of more months.

Oh, I had quite a few go 'rounds with them about this. I found out about it on these boards and called to see if I was affected. Sure enough I was, and they hadn't even contacted me. Their solution was to move me to SSR and refund the difference in points. Um, no, not acceptable. After several days of back and forths, they finally found me a savannah view studio and gave me access to the lounge. I was fine with how it was resolved, but I didn't like how inconsistently everyone was treated and how they seemed to have no plan on how to address it .

I again agree, hopefully the OP will come back and make an additional comment until then I find it odd.

With the way the OP was attacked, I would be surprised if they ever come back to this board.

Oh, I had quite a few go 'rounds with them about this. I found out about it on these boards and called to see if I was affected. Sure enough I was, and they hadn't even contacted me. Their solution was to move me to SSR and refund the difference in points. Um, no, not acceptable. After several days of back and forths, they finally found me a savannah view studio and gave me access to the lounge. I was fine with how it was resolved, but I didn't like how inconsistently everyone was treated and how they seemed to have no plan on how to address it .
Thanks for the additional info. That's c/w what I recall about it and seems like an equitable settlement though it's a shame you even had to push them for it. I said then and I say now, they handled it EXTREMELY poorly at the time, quite uncharacteristic of Disney in my experiences over the years both personally and vicariously.

With the way the OP was attacked, I would be surprised if they ever come back to this board.
I reviewed the thread, I don't see attacks, only questions that still remain. I would not call the references to Shenanigans or Trolls as attacks in this case. The OP could have easily dispelled any issue with a simple explanation.

I reviewed the thread, I don't see attacks, only questions that still remain. I would not call the references to Shenanigans or Trolls as attacks in this case. The OP could have easily dispelled any issue with a simple explanation.

I agree. There was no need for the OP to throw a fire alarm with no explanation.

Laura

I agree. There was no need for the OP to throw a fire alarm with no explanation.

Laura

What did the OP do wrong? I thought it has been confirmed by several on here, including OhioDVC that there were overbookings..........

Just confused as to what some of you feel that the OP needs to come back with some sort of explanation? Did I miss something?

What did the OP do wrong? I thought it has been confirmed by several on here, including OhioDVC that there were overbookings..........

Just confused as to what some of you feel that the OP needs to come back with some sort of explanation? Did I miss something?

Typically if someone comes on here to complain and ask advice, it is common courtesy to let people know what the resolution to the matter was.

Typically if someone comes on here to complain and ask advice, it is common courtesy to let people know what the resolution to the matter was.

Not to get too defensive of another poster, but actually he/she just asked if it happened to anyone else. And there were multiple postings saying it did and these people offered up what they experienced including "compensation" from Disney. So it's probably likely he/she received some similar sort of offer. I never saw where the OP asked for any advice.

Between those answers and the attacks the OP has been receiving, what should he/she show courtesy when it doesn't appear much was shown to him/her (from my 3rd party view?)

Not to get too defensive of another poster, but actually he/she just asked if it happened to anyone else. And there were multiple postings saying it did and these people offered up what they experienced including "compensation" from Disney. So it's probably likely he/she received some similar sort of offer. I never saw where the OP asked for any advice.

Between those answers and the attacks the OP has been receiving, what should he/she show courtesy when it doesn't appear much was shown to him/her (from my 3rd party view?)

You asked a question and I provided an answer. I apologize that it was not to your liking, but please don't use that as a reason to start an argument. Thanks.

No one was "attacked" on this forum. For one thing if they had a moderator would have stepped in and commented.

If some feel attacks were made they had best thicken up their skin or they will not be happy on Net forums.

Believe me, most all of us that might question something, if found out to be wrong will admit and apologize. I know I do, Dean will and others. So the OP has no reason to stay away unless they did pull an alarm and run.

Other than sign up just to post this issue and not follow up (possibly as an alias to an existing account), nothing. However, no one else did anything wrong either from what I can tell and I reviewed the entire thread again before making that statement yesterday.

Other than sign up just to post this issue and not follow up (possibly as an alias to an existing account), nothing. However, no one else did anything wrong either from what I can tell and I reviewed the entire thread again before making that statement yesterday.

If you read the entire thread there are NUMEROUS posts that IMPLY that the OP is lying. Without any justification all too many people accused this person solely based on the fact that they had only one post.

As for a follow-up, none was needed or implied from the OP. Maybe they actually have a life and friends and neighbors and work. Maybe they don't spend their life hunched over a computer.

For me, I'm deleting my subscription to this post and heading out to the beach at Vero. It is beautiful. The sun is shining with a little breeze blowing. The ocean is calm and the water is inviting! pirate: I'm staying until Saturday and then off to Hilton Head Island for two more weeks of fun in the sun. I hope everyone has a fun and enjoyable summer.

OP - you have been vindicated!!! Your post was 100% correct and the naysayers, as always, will be naysayers.

Thanks for the insight. That's interesting about the airfare. In this case, VB is only 2 hours from WDW, so the option to fly into VB and then procure some other form of transport to WDW is definitely possible. Plus, if what others are saying is accurate, free dining plus free park tickets are worth $100 per person per day. I think this would more than compensate for the cost of a rental car.

Yes and no. Definitely the dining piece. But you weren't planning on laying out $$ for theme park tickets if you were at VB. While it's a great perk to convince you to switch to Orlando...it's not really offsetting any expenses (either paying to modify your plane tickets or the cost of a rental car).

I'm not sure what the usual food costs are like around VB...but THAT savings (and not the actual cost of the Dining plan) would be what you'd use to "figure" the offset.

All that being said: I'd bet most people are either flying into MCO...or maybe Palm Beach. Either way, they were probably renting a car to get to VB. If they were coming into MCO..they can ditch the rental and use DME (another potential savings).

If they're flying into Palm Beach...then MAYBE there's some offset to be looking for, depending on how you were getting to VB.

If you read the entire thread there are NUMEROUS posts that IMPLY that the OP is lying. Without any justification all too many people accused this person solely based on the fact that they had only one post.

As for a follow-up, none was needed or implied from the OP. Maybe they actually have a life and friends and neighbors and work. Maybe they don't spend their life hunched over a computer.

For me, I'm deleting my subscription to this post and heading out to the beach at Vero. It is beautiful. The sun is shining with a little breeze blowing. The ocean is calm and the water is inviting! pirate: I'm staying until Saturday and then off to Hilton Head Island for two more weeks of fun in the sun. I hope everyone has a fun and enjoyable summer.

OP - you have been vindicated!!! Your post was 100% correct and the naysayers, as always, will be naysayers.
I see no personal attacks, only questions, which still remain in part. I'm still wondering if this was an exchange or even rental of an exchange. If you review the thread, the question of validity was reasonable at the time. If one is thin skinned enough to take the questioning as a personal attack, they shouldn't be on a BBS or email list at all IMO. Enjoy the beach, I'll return the favor from HI later this summer.

However, I do not consider canceling someone's beach vacation and walking them over 100 miles to be "small stuff". People are allowed to be upset and they are allowed to "make a fuss" and they are allowed to negotiate the best compensation they can for their inconvenience. It appears that most people are OK with being moved so I guess it's working out for them to their satisfaction.
I totally agree with your thoughts---I have been to WDW many times (as I'm sure most people on this board have been) and if I have made the decision to schedule a vacation at Vero Beach, substituting another trip to WDW would not be acceptable. I also travel a bit, and have had issues with hotels, or airlines, or rental car companies--but I've never had the experience of having my entire vacation torpedoed. That would not go over well.

I reviewed the thread, I don't see attacks, only questions that still remain.

I don't believe the questions were the issues--but the questioning of someone as only having posted once certainly set a tone that was not welcoming. As a later poster (who was also affected by the issue at Vero Beach) indicated, that was their first time posting here as well, but since his/her story had already been validated by OhioDVC his posting of his experience was not questioned. Not everyone has the years of experience that some of us have on forums/bulletin boards, etc. They may not always express themselves as well as some of us might be able to. Perhaps we should give people the benefit of the doubt that their story is true until it's proven otherwise. (Innocent until proven guilty!) I could totally see how someone who is not experienced in forum/bulletin board postings would have been scared off. Hopefully they WILL come back and let us know the resolution of their particular issue.

The thing I would really like to know--and probably never will--is how Disney/hotel chains--make the decision of who gets bumped and who doesn't? I saw Dean's post about how it works at some timeshare companies, but I am curious about how it works in general at other types of facilities.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter