Early July VS mid August

SeaSpray

Disney World fan since 1976
Hi everyone!

We are considering changing the dates of our cruise for next summer. Currently our dates are July 4th, 2004 on the 4 night Wonder, which I planned because DH's company usually has vacation during that week. Now DH is saying that we can plan the cruise for ANY week next summer because he doesn't think they will be shut down for July 4th week next year.
I realize we can save a few $$ if we book in mid-August, as opposed to early July. Are there are any pros or cons that you can think of for each time period, such as crowds (we're adding on a few nights at WDW after the cruise), weather, is it hurricane season in August???? We'd probably pick the August 15th sailing of the Wonder. Also, I imagine that airfare would be cheaper in mid-August as compared to the holiday weekend of July 4th.

Thanks for any comments and opinions on this! :)

I would think that the parks would be only slightly less crowded in August, but there's a fair chance that the cruise would be both cheaper and less crowded. I think you're right about the airfare.

It's hurricane season in August, but then it's hurricane season in July, too. This really isn't a big deal, and you can't predict when and where a hurricane will form, anyway, so I would not let this affect my decision.

One word of (unsolicited) advice, you may want to consider doing the parks first and then the cruise. I like the relaxation of the cruise after the hustle and bustle of the parks.

Thanks for your opinion, Lloyd :)

You basically confirmed what I was already thinking, regarding crowds and chance of a hurricane. :)

As for going to WDW before or after the cruise, we tend to take it easy when at the parks, and we thought that going to WDW AFTER the cruise would be a good way to ease back into the "real world" so to speak, before coming back home from the cruise. DH and I just got off a Royal Caribbean cruise a few weeks ago and boy was it hard to walk off that ship and immediately back into reality. :p

I don't know about other areas, but here in NE FL, school is back in session the beginning of August. It might make a difference if enough other school districts go back early.

Thats a good point, too. My DSs don't go back to school until after Labor Day, so I have the full month of August free to plan when to go. I just noticed how low the rates are for the cruises for the week before Labor Day. We could upgrade from a Cat 9 to a Cat 6 and STILL save about $400 over what we'd pay for the July 4th sailing. Either way, I think we will change from the July 4th sailing to a date in August. Since DH's work schedule is no longer an issue, we have no reason to have to sail that week. How bad is it to fly out of MCO on the Saturday of Labor Day weekend?? LOL If it's a pain, then maybe we're better off with mid-August.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter