• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Eat your vegtables?

Just off the Fantasy and my daughter (she's a vegetarian) and I (restrictive diet) had a difficult time getting enough veggies. There were limited choices at Cabana's at lunch - actually the same broccoli/carrot/cauliflower dish EVERY single day (a few more dishes if you wanted fried/something in a sauce) and we had an even tougher time in the MDR. The veggie dishes (2 a night) in the MDR were horrible...inedible actually. With so many vegetarians and people just trying to eat healthier I wish they'd spend more time/thought on good food for them/us.

You can also ask them to bring a platter of fruit or vegetables to be served family style.

Um.....I've always seen/been able to get apples, oranges, bananas and grapes on cruises.

[View attachment 267606 View attachment 267607

I'm sorry I was confusing with what I said. I didn't mean to say those items weren't available, more that you have to make due with items that are available and those items tend to be what stores easily and keeps longer. It isn't a dig at the cruise line, we do the same while traveling on land even though those items are not typically things we eat at home.

I totally get you, OP. I found myself scavenging garnishes, etc. There are vegetarian options, though they were sometimes uninspired. Salads were generally OK, but not fabulous. Side veggies were usually your standard broccoli, carrots, etc. I understand they have to serve what is easy to store and prep, but as a veggie lover, it wasn't a fantastic selection. That said, restaurants rarely are.

All told, I'd say it was a marginally better selection than your average restaurant (mostly because there was a vegetarian option at every meal), but no where near what a Central Market/Whole Foods food counter might offer.

On our Wonder cruise last August our tablemates asked for a larger serving of vegetables with dinner on the first night. The next 13 nights we received huge bowls of varied vegetables, always steamed. It became a running joke with our servers asking each night if we needed more veggies.They seemed to have fun trying to find different ones for us each night.

On our Wonder cruise last August our tablemates asked for a larger serving of vegetables with dinner on the first night. The next 13 nights we received huge bowls of varied vegetables, always steamed. It became a running joke with our servers asking each night if we needed more veggies.They seemed to have fun trying to find different ones for us each night.
That's why I suggested giving the chef a free hand in the veggies. They seem to like the challenge of going off menu.

I've found it challenging to get enough veggies with my meal on DCL as well, especially since I like mine plain and lightly steamed, not dripping with sauces or drenched in butter or oil. I've found that the kids menu is the worst for skimpy vegetable portions and limited selection. However, I've always found that if you ask for a plate of steamed vegetables they will bring it. On our last cruise I was surprised to find out that my 8 year old loves steamed zucchini. Her dad hates it so I just never serve it at home. It's always good to ask and make your wishes clear; it's interesting to see what "lots" of veggies means for different people!

True, but as someone who really likes veggies, I find DCL to be lacking.

Many find success in simply asking their servers for what they want.

each night i ordered two salads from the soup/salad list...

Did they bring the two out at once? I tried to do this a couple years ago and he said he'd bring one and I was to ask for the second. I have food issues emotionally, and asking for what I need can be difficult at times. So I didn't.

...Or take me and you can have my vegetables.
LOL!
(OP: I've never had trouble eating all the veggies and fruit I'd like on a cruise - seated or at buffet - but at seated meals you do sometimes have to ask for off-menu. My brother ate fruit for dinner every night in the MDR (an assortment, cut up - wasn't on menu, but was clearly a common enough request as he didn't have to explain at all what he wanted.)

Did they bring the two out at once? I tried to do this a couple years ago and he said he'd bring one and I was to ask for the second. I have food issues emotionally, and asking for what I need can be difficult at times. So I didn't.
I've had 2 brought out at same time. (If you are dining with someone, just have that person order the 2nd if it seems there's pushback.)

I just want to point out that the OP asked about vegetables and not fruit. It seems like many people are associating fruit with vegetables. I don't know about the OP, but fruit acts on me exactly like any other simple carb. Fruit and cake have the exact same effect on my body. Vegetables are not a simple carbohydrate and don't wreck havoc on my blood sugar like fruit does.

I'm a vegetarian too and can confirm that there are plenty of veggies to be had. My only complaint about DCL dining is that sometimes the only veg appetizers are salads. My typical dinner order is a veggie based soup, a salad and the veg main (which is either veggies or has them on the side).

For breakfast and lunch, I always get a full plate of fruit or salad along with whatever else I grab. So plenty of veggies and fruits to be had.

I know that this is not a thread about vegetarianism, but I wanted to chime in that I did not find the veg options to be mainly pasta. Over the course of a week, I had things like tofu, bean cakes and veg curry. I did also have pasta, but that's because I wanted it.

You can visit the Disney Cruise Line blog to look at menus in advance if you're curious about MDR options.

I just want to point out that the OP asked about vegetables and not fruit. It seems like many people are associating fruit with vegetables. I don't know about the OP, but fruit acts on me exactly like any other simple carb. Fruit and cake have the exact same effect on my body. Vegetables are not a simple carbohydrate and don't wreck havoc on my blood sugar like fruit does.
I was specifically asking about vegetables, but the information about fruit is also helpful for DW and DD. Thank you everyone for all of the helpful information.

We did notice people eating asparagus with their eggs in the morning at Cabana's on the Wonder just this past July/August. I'm sure that the cruise line food staff keeps tracks of what gets eaten and what and how much gets thrown away. If there is more of a demand, then I would think that the supply would go up. But, to keep fresh vegetables fresh and stored for a week or two long cruise, and then not get used and thrown away, is a waste of space and money. We had a woman at one of our tables on one cruise just get a bowl of fresh fruit for dessert every evening at dinner. No problem. Just ask your server for what you want, and they will be more than willing and able to accommodate you and your family.

Suggestion: Maybe call the special services (don't know the exact name or #) and let them know that you need more veggies. Maybe they can accommodate you then.

My experience has been that the servers are more than happy to get you whatever you need. On one of my past cruises, I happened to mention to our assistant server (who was Filipino) how much I enjoyed the time I've spent in his homeland, and how good the food always is.

A couple of nights later I was surprised with Lumpia, Chicken Adobo, Philippine-syle fried rice, and an abundance of noodles.
AWESOME.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter