ECV and crowds

To share the one scary ECV story... We were over by the Aladdin magic carpets and grandma was letting the little 2-3 year old grandchild drive the ECV from her lap. She had it on top speed and I swear it was almost on 2 wheels coming around the corner straight at me. I was able to jump out of the way (barely) - I was missed by like 2 feet. Thankfully my Mom was in her ECV and on my other side so she was safe. I would have been very hurt the way that woman/child(?) was driving. My mom was shouting to slow down and look out next time and to get the kid off the ECV. The child's mom was running way behind pushing the stroller and my Mom gave her a peace of her mind to about how unsafe the speed was and that they child should absolutely not have been on the ECV much less driving it. It was just a matter of time the way she was driving before someone got seriously hurt.
This is why CM’s are starting to crack down on people letting their kids/grandkids sit on their laps while on the scooter. Last week coming out of Epcot after the fireworks I saw the same exact thing with the user letting a little kid have a joyride on the scooter. Her excuse “C’mon, it’s Disney! I’m letting him live out his NASCAR dreams!” Security was promptly called after that…

Does anyone else feel invisible when maneuvering your ECV or wheelchair?
So many people walk with their face in their phone or looking off in some other direction than the way they are headed.
I’ve had to stop, dodge, swerve and out maneuver so many people that it leads me to believe they cannot see me!
Kids I get and I’m wary of them but adults? I don’t get it. Put your flipping phone away and enjoy the parks!
Yesterday I accidentally clipped a woman with the exit gate after she randomly stopped as I was exiting a ride with a swing gate.
It’s been quite a challenge getting around this week due to the crowds.
I’ve not been on a new bus yet. The drivers for the most part have been helpful on the busses and monorail. The boat not so much. Yesterday I had a trainee bus driver and he was way more careful than any of the seasoned ones! Until he strapped me in I didn’t even know that there was a seatbelt!
Since then I have requested it.
So what are your experiences?
Totally can relate to feeling invisible! I attempt to keep to the far right along pathways but I frequently trail groups (in the middle, behind them) moving at a good walking speed. Usually this keeps me in a buffered zone. I've had several experiences where people literally walk right past me to go ahead in a line! I don't know if they wanted to pretend to be with me or what... but OMG.. I have to say that lately (my Dec & March visits) I did notice lots of people actually stopping to allow me to go - and I mean LOTS of times.
However, the non pay attentioners were definitely represented.
As far as seatbelts on the bus - in all the years I've used an ECV I recall exactly 1 time that the driver didn't require a seatbelt. This is at least 10 years ago. I've had drivers that make me put the key in my pocket -(one actually TOOK my key)- occasionally (but rarely) make me sit off my ECV - and transfer to a seat.

@snowwite - Although the doors are not “automatic” (I get it, sis, I really do!) remember that Companion Restrooms are our friend; it makes dealing with a device much easier.

Oh - last but not least, I ask for my food at QS to “go”, even if I am going to eat there, so they will pack it into a bag or box. Usually I don’t have to explain why… 😉 But that does make carrying it to the table in my lap much easier and safer. And if I CM offers to help, I say let them! It’s easy to get into that mindset of “I can do it all by myself” but it’s really OK to let someone help every now and again. There’s a difference between someone who really wants to just help you get to a table vs. that person who is clearly seeking to make you their good deed of the day.

I hope overall you have had a great week! 🙂
The companion restroom idea helped me on this last trip. Being solo, I felt uneasy leaving my ECV outside the restroom, and I couldn't really maneuver it into the restroom. Then a restroom CM opened the door to the companion restroom and motioned me in there. At first I felt strange-"I don't have a companion, I'm solo!"-but after that I looked for companion restrooms. I only felt uncomfortable once-when a man offered to go in and help. Then I noticed his mother, in a wheelchair, coming out and when he said to me "do you need help?" I think he meant that his wife would come help. At least that's what I want to think.
And the tip about getting food "to go" at QS is so helpful. Driving with one hand, while carrying a tray with the other hand, is difficult. Occasionally I have had someone come out from behind the counter and carry my tray-I figure it gives them a break so I always let them. But from now on, I'll ask for my food to go, so I can transport more easily to a table. Thanks!

So many people walk with their face in their phone or looking off in some other direction than the way they are headed.
I’ve had to stop, dodge, swerve and out maneuver so many people that it leads me to believe they cannot see me!
Kids I get and I’m wary of them but adults? I don’t get it. Put your flipping phone away and enjoy the parks!
Yesterday I accidentally clipped a woman with the exit gate after she randomly stopped as I was exiting a ride with a swing gate.
I’ve not been on a new bus yet. The drivers for the most part have been helpful on the busses and monorail. The boat not so much. Yesterday I had a trainee bus driver and he was way more careful than any of the seasoned ones! Until he strapped me in I didn’t even know that there was a seatbelt!
Yes, Yes, you hit the nail on the head. The few times I have had to use an ECV, I had to stop (or try to) when someone just walked in front of me not even looking where he was going. It's like you are invisible.
I think everyone who thinks riding an ECV is wonderful and an advantage to getting on rides should do it for one day and see what a pain in the butt it is! It's not easy at all. No one sees you and you spend all your time trying not to hit people who walk in front of you or stop in front of you. You don't get to see the attractions or windows as you go by. You are at bottom level and that's all you see when you are not trying to avoid people. I am so glad I don't have to use one now.

@snowwite - Although the doors are not “automatic” (I get it, sis, I really do!) remember that Companion Restrooms are our friend; it makes dealing with a device much easier.

IF you have a small group with you, remember our “bubble” strategy - keep as far to the right as you can, even in wider places like World Showcase at Epcot. Then try to keep someone on one side, ideally one in front and one in the rear as well to help act as “bubbles” to help fend off the phone zombies. If you only have 1 person, I would say try to keep them either on your side, or in front (probably have to be in front in squeezy-er places) because they will have better visibility to help give you some protection. The best part about the bubble is that with 3 other folks, you only have to really guard the right side, so it gives you a little breather of sorts.

I agree with you, and everyone else; we *do* become invisible. In part, because we are seated, so we tend to visually disappear. And in part because everyone is distracted - Disney is literally designed that way - and so when you add in the additional distraction of our phones, it can become dangerous to be… us.

There are little things you can try to help combat the invisibility, like wear a big crazy hat, and/or wear REALLY bright clothing. As I move through crowds, I just very cheerfully holler “Thank you! Excuse me! Coming through!” Over and over and over again. Does it become repetitive and awful? Yes. Does it help keep people from bashing into me? Mostly.

At night, lights are your friend - but not high, obnoxious LED headlights that blind oncomers (remember the little stroller babies - they are captive, and we especially don’t want to hurt their eyes) but “underglow” lighting actually seems to help the most. It doesn’t have to be fancy - just plain white undercarriage lighting helps so much. I personally believe it’s because if someone is looking down at their phone it catches their eye. Pretty little twinkly lights on your basket are fun, but you want something that will light up the ground under your mobility device to really make it visible.

Oh - last but not least, I ask for my food at QS to “go”, even if I am going to eat there, so they will pack it into a bag or box. Usually I don’t have to explain why… 😉 But that does make carrying it to the table in my lap much easier and safer. And if I CM offers to help, I say let them! It’s easy to get into that mindset of “I can do it all by myself” but it’s really OK to let someone help every now and again. There’s a difference between someone who really wants to just help you get to a table vs. that person who is clearly seeking to make you their good deed of the day.

I hope overall you have had a great week! 🙂
Thank you! I used the light last eve. Most nights I’ve been in the room or at DD house.
I am catching on slowly asking for packaged to go. I also started treating it like when I used to ski. ON YOUR RIGHT! As I pass. Twice though some numpty parked their butt where I need to exit. Example I unlocked bathroom door and since I can’t steer and hold the door and I’m alone I hit reverse and the door opens. This time, nothing! So I did it with more speed and discovered someone had been leaning on it. He angrily told me I had frightened him. I said I was sorry then under my breath far enough away I added sorry that you are so stupid. I mean hello? It’s a door!
The scooter has been collected and I’m packed. It flew by!

Totally can relate to feeling invisible! I attempt to keep to the far right along pathways but I frequently trail groups (in the middle, behind them) moving at a good walking speed. Usually this keeps me in a buffered zone. I've had several experiences where people literally walk right past me to go ahead in a line! I don't know if they wanted to pretend to be with me or what... but OMG.. I have to say that lately (my Dec & March visits) I did notice lots of people actually stopping to allow me to go - and I mean LOTS of times.
However, the non pay attentioners were definitely represented.
As far as seatbelts on the bus - in all the years I've used an ECV I recall exactly 1 time that the driver didn't require a seatbelt. This is at least 10 years ago. I've had drivers that make me put the key in my pocket -(one actually TOOK my key)- occasionally (but rarely) make me sit off my ECV - and transfer to a seat.
One woman made me transfer and also told me she had to maneuver it with the key out of the ignition. No other drivers said or did that at all.

Yes, Yes, you hit the nail on the head. The few times I have had to use an ECV, I had to stop (or try to) when someone just walked in front of me not even looking where he was going. It's like you are invisible.
I think everyone who thinks riding an ECV is wonderful and an advantage to getting on rides should do it for one day and see what a pain in the butt it is! It's not easy at all. No one sees you and you spend all your time trying not to hit people who walk in front of you or stop in front of you. You don't get to see the attractions or windows as you go by. You are at bottom level and that's all you see when you are not trying to avoid people. I am so glad I don't have to use one now.
I’ve seen a lot of bums. Lol

How do you manage a drink? We tend to bring a bottle of soda into the parks. I mean $14 for a hamburger and fries is one thing, but $4.50 or so for a soda is crazy.

I have a cupholder on each of my devices, and I keep a refillable water bottle in my wheelchair bag as well. At Disney, I bring a refillable Resort mug into the parks and keep it full of ice and water; they are insulated, so they last a long time, and if it's activated at the Resort, I can use it when I get back to the hotel for the evening.

Hey, at least I get bragging rights-whenever we go anywhere at home with either the store's ECV or my own, if someone makes some comment about staying out of my way so they don't get bumped, DH always says "Don't worry, she can even manage at Disney World-and those crowds are NUTS!"

As a temporary EVC user at WDW, my biggest issue is some of the tight turns in the queues. Toy Story Midway Mania springs to mind. There is one horrible turn that just fills me with dread as I approach it. And I willing wait in line over and over for this ride, so I am hitting that turn at least four times, and it never gets easier!

As a temporary EVC user at WDW, my biggest issue is some of the tight turns in the queues. Toy Story Midway Mania springs to mind. There is one horrible turn that just fills me with dread as I approach it. And I willing wait in line over and over for this ride, so I am hitting that turn at least four times, and it never gets easier!

If you can rent a 3-wheel device, those tend to have a tighter turning radius. That’s a generalization, but overall experience here bears out that advice.

For me, right hand turns are always easier than left hand turns! Don’t know why, they just are! LOL I think it’s because I’m right handed? Who knows… 😂

If you are renting off-site, and can take even 5 to 10 minutes to practice outside the Parks, it will help you get settled faster with your new-to-you temporary mobility device. Practice hard u-turns and tight corners especially, and if you have time, backing up is always a good skill to brush up on. Every single device is different - even 2 of the exact same model from the same manufacturer can drive and handle differently, just like a car.

If you are using Parks rental scooters, still try to find a spot to do some quick practicing; if you are more confident, it will make everything easier.

And BTW - they have yet to invent the corner that I won’t turn for Midway Mania! It’s a must-do for me every trip!

If you can rent a 3-wheel device, those tend to have a tighter turning radius. That’s a generalization, but overall experience here bears out that advice.

For me, right hand turns are always easier than left hand turns! Don’t know why, they just are! LOL I think it’s because I’m right handed? Who knows… 😂

If you are renting off-site, and can take even 5 to 10 minutes to practice outside the Parks, it will help you get settled faster with your new-to-you temporary mobility device. Practice hard u-turns and tight corners especially, and if you have time, backing up is always a good skill to brush up on. Every single device is different - even 2 of the exact same model from the same manufacturer can drive and handle differently, just like a car.

If you are using Parks rental scooters, still try to find a spot to do some quick practicing; if you are more confident, it will make everything easier.

And BTW - they have yet to invent the corner that I won’t turn for Midway Mania! It’s a must-do for me every trip!
The turns I can manage but the backing up into the smaller space on a bus is a struggle. The larger one no problem.

The turns I can manage but the backing up into the smaller space on a bus is a struggle. The larger one no problem.

I genuinely believe that backing up in a mobility device can be one of the very hardest things we have to do.

When I was still able to use my TravelScoot at Disney, it was easy then; As long as I held the tiller exactly straight, I knew I was going to go in a straight line backwards. One I learned how much - or how little - to turn to get the desired effect when backing, it became much easier.

Having said all that, with a power wheelchair that kind of changes the geometry for me, and I am still not as confident backing it up as I want to be. I’m an Elder Nerd, and a gamer geek as well, and so I have been using joysticks since… my first home Atari 2600 video game console (may she rest in peace). And before that, we had a KNOB, because life was just that primitive in the 70s!

1711967840442.jpeg

1711967861136.jpeg

We were the envy of every kid in town - and they all wound up, sprawled out in front of the TV, waiting for their turn to play Pong Squash!

But, back to backing the scooter - practice will still, and always make better; the skills we learn from one device will transfer to another. The trick is to not get rusty!

Maybe what I need is an oil can… 😉

Another thing to be careful in a EVC … curbs
I was at DL after fireworks and person driving did not see a curb and completely knocked over her cart with her on it . I think that is the reason Disney is removing so many curbs ,etc.

I had teens jumping over my grandchild in a stroller on Main Street after fireworks !
It’s worse than crazy driving in Orlando . I am starting to see very creative but dangerous maneuvering on the roads !
Be really careful everywhere. Please

I couldn't imagine navigating queue lines in a 4-wheel scooter. 3-wheels seem to make many things easier to navigate, from the bus, to queue lines, to dealing with crowds. Only danger I've had was crossing the trolley tracks at an angle (wasn't paying attention) and almost tumbling out.

I've also had no problem asking at a QS location if someone could help carry my tray out for me. Had one lovely CM show me a nice quiet area at Flame Tree BBQ that doesn't get a lot of traffic and has a great view of Everest.

Totally invisible, and it's anxiety-inducing. here's my mom's story:

We went a few years ago for my daughter's first trip and, like many who need ECV's, my mom can walk for stints, but a 10+ mile avg over a day is well out of the question. So we rented an ECV for her. She was nervous learning to drive it but became a pro on the first day! People would constantly be walking in front of her, and she told us it was incredibly stressful because she felt like she always had to be on "high-alert". It was more stressful than driving because it's not normal for people to just walk out in front of your car, but people walked in front of her ECV every few minutes. My mom has pretty severe anxiety, so we really needed to figure out how to accommodate her. She was having mini panic attacks!

We actually decided to walk in triangle/diamond formation, lol. Sister in front pushing my daughter's stroller, mom behind her a few feet, and me on the left in between them (and my daughter on the right whenever she was walking) so nobody would "cut through" between them and in front of mom. We'd then try to hug the wall/sidewalk on the right, esp when daughter was in the stroller. My daughter loved it, she said she felt like she was on "Meme security detail"🤣. It worked so well! Until...

Mickey's Christmas Party. There was literally NO room to actually do this down Main St. We tried it and it didn't really work, and movement was so slow people were just coming from both sides cutting her off from the street and from stores, and she said it was so packed she had no idea who might pop out in front of her next (at least when it's open you can see someone coming). Driving was a constant start and stop, and we could see her frustration growing every minute.

The last straw for my mother was when we had gotten into a more open but still busy area and some mom rushing to somewhere cut between our formation so close she shoulder-checked my sister and literally dragged her 3 year old right in front of my mom's ECV, and of course my mom hit this poor little kid (he was weirdly unfazed btw, lol). She then had the nerve to start SCREAMING at my mom at the top of her lungs "watch where you're going you old B, what the F!". Straight screaming swears in front of tons of kids. My mom was SO EMBARRASSED, and she started tearing up and having a huge panic attack. My sister was about to jump in (she has a mouth and isn't afraid to use it🤣), but a completely unrelated family all came to my mom's defense and started yelling at the woman all at the same time, so we just stepped back and took care of mom, and my daughter, who has now started crying seeing my mom upset and was trying to literally run away from the crowd (daughter is autistic and hyper-empathetic). It was a mess. I was able to walk my daughter just a few feet away and sit down. Many people came up to them and asked if they were ok, offering them water bottles, snacks, etc, even a 2 year old tried to give my daughter her Rapunzel baby doll 🥰 (that one made me cry, I couldn't handle it anymore). They were all very kind. But mom wasn't ok unfortunately, and she decided she just couldn't do it anymore, she was done for the night. It all happened so fast, we were only there for a short time (we had to go late, daughter needed a mid-day rest), and I don't have to tell you what those tickets cost. I felt so bad for her. A CM showed up out of nowhere with a wheelchair and walked her to the buses. She told us in no uncertain terms that we were not to leave unless my daughter wanted to, she'll be fine, we NEED to stay (again, expensive tickets, and you better listen to momma🤣). Sister asked another CM who had shown up to help us get the scooter to the front and store it until we left. He had security with him and the woman was escorted off to who knows where (again -- that poor little kid!). A totally different CM showed up with a balloon for my daughter. So many CM's, lol. I was honestly surprised, I figured they'd all be busy and overwhelmed. Excellent treatment from CM's and other guests.

It was tough getting her out of the room the next day, but we had to remind her how well our formation works when it's not insane crowds. We had a few more incidents, but nothing as big. We've decided we can't really do any parties anymore, and can't go during busy times either. It's tough because mom is like many here: lifelong Disney fan/kid at heart, and just thinking of returning now makes her incredibly anxious.😔

As for my daughter, she already wasn't handling the walk down Main St too well but she was determined and getting thru it with her coping mechanisms (she insisted we go, she wanted to go on Thunder Mountain for the umpteenth time). After this, she can't handle medium/heavy crowds at all.😢

I'm disabled and am now also in need of an ECV to get through a park day. I'm dreading it, TBH, and not sure what we're gonna do when mom comes down as well and we've got two of us. Maybe we'll be more noticeable as a "scooter gang"? 🤣

We went a few years ago for my daughter's first trip and, like many who need ECV's, my mom can walk for stints, but a 10+ mile avg over a day is well out of the question. So we rented an ECV for her. She was nervous learning to drive it but became a pro on the first day! People would constantly be walking in front of her, and she told us it was incredibly stressful because she felt like she always had to be on "high-alert". It was more stressful than driving because it's not normal for people to just walk out in front of your car, but people walked in front of her ECV every few minutes. My mom has pretty severe anxiety, so we really needed to figure out how to accommodate her. She was having mini panic attacks!

We actually decided to walk in triangle/diamond formation, lol. Sister in front pushing my daughter's stroller, mom behind her a few feet, and me on the left in between them (and my daughter on the right whenever she was walking) so nobody would "cut through" between them and in front of mom. We'd then try to hug the wall/sidewalk on the right, esp when daughter was in the stroller. My daughter loved it, she said she felt like she was on "Meme security detail"🤣. It worked so well! Until...

Mickey's Christmas Party. There was literally NO room to actually do this down Main St. We tried it and it didn't really work, and movement was so slow people were just coming from both sides cutting her off from the street and from stores, and she said it was so packed she had no idea who might pop out in front of her next (at least when it's open you can see someone coming). Driving was a constant start and stop, and we could see her frustration growing every minute.

The last straw for my mother was when we had gotten into a more open but still busy area and some mom rushing to somewhere cut between our formation so close she shoulder-checked my sister and literally dragged her 3 year old right in front of my mom's ECV, and of course my mom hit this poor little kid (he was weirdly unfazed btw, lol). She then had the nerve to start SCREAMING at my mom at the top of her lungs "watch where you're going you old B, what the F!". Straight screaming swears in front of tons of kids. My mom was SO EMBARRASSED, and she started tearing up and having a huge panic attack. My sister was about to jump in (she has a mouth and isn't afraid to use it🤣), but a completely unrelated family all came to my mom's defense and started yelling at the woman all at the same time, so we just stepped back and took care of mom, and my daughter, who has now started crying seeing my mom upset and was trying to literally run away from the crowd (daughter is autistic and hyper-empathetic). It was a mess. I was able to walk my daughter just a few feet away and sit down. Many people came up to them and asked if they were ok, offering them water bottles, snacks, etc, even a 2 year old tried to give my daughter her Rapunzel baby doll 🥰 (that one made me cry, I couldn't handle it anymore). They were all very kind. But mom wasn't ok unfortunately, and she decided she just couldn't do it anymore, she was done for the night. It all happened so fast, we were only there for a short time (we had to go late, daughter needed a mid-day rest), and I don't have to tell you what those tickets cost. I felt so bad for her. A CM showed up out of nowhere with a wheelchair and walked her to the buses. She told us in no uncertain terms that we were not to leave unless my daughter wanted to, she'll be fine, we NEED to stay (again, expensive tickets, and you better listen to momma🤣). Sister asked another CM who had shown up to help us get the scooter to the front and store it until we left. He had security with him and the woman was escorted off to who knows where (again -- that poor little kid!). A totally different CM showed up with a balloon for my daughter. So many CM's, lol. I was honestly surprised, I figured they'd all be busy and overwhelmed. Excellent treatment from CM's and other guests.

It was tough getting her out of the room the next day, but we had to remind her how well our formation works when it's not insane crowds. We had a few more incidents, but nothing as big. We've decided we can't really do any parties anymore, and can't go during busy times either. It's tough because mom is like many here: lifelong Disney fan/kid at heart, and just thinking of returning now makes her incredibly anxious.😔

As for my daughter, she already wasn't handling the walk down Main St too well but she was determined and getting thru it with her coping mechanisms (she insisted we go, she wanted to go on Thunder Mountain for the umpteenth time). After this, she can't handle medium/heavy crowds at all.😢

I'm disabled and am now also in need of an ECV to get through a park day. I'm dreading it, TBH, and not sure what we're gonna do when mom comes down as well and we've got two of us. Maybe we'll be more noticeable as a "scooter gang"? 🤣
Your story brings me to tears for your whole family and especially your mom. My sister is very much like your mom so I feel your pain. We don’t do parties with her and wait a LONG time after fireworks before attempting to leave MK even when the crowds are light. I don’t even think I could do a Christmas party crowd such as you describe and I’m a well-seasoned ECV user. I was going to suggest a wheelchair for your mom instead (until I read that you also will need an ECV). Best wishes with your planning to find a quieter time to visit.

Just here to say that I hope your Mom finds a way to come back. I have been coming to WDW since the very first summer (July 1972) and I know how much it can mean to feel cut off from the very place that brings you joy.

Just like there are all kinds of people, there are also all kinds of mobility devices. Some do stop faster than others - and often there is no way to know without driving one, as they all handle just a bit differently (like cars). I would also say maybe take some time outside the Park to practice a bit, and get used to how that rental handles turns, and how quickly it can stop.

I know this was probably also scary for your daughter, but seeing everyone be calm about it in the future might help her feel better too. So often our kiddos take their cues directly from us; if we are OK with something, they will just accept it and go on.

And I love the use of your “wedge” theory! It’s a lot like my personal favorite, the “bubble”! Bubble breakers can be stinky, but try not to let them ruin your day - so often there is way more happening with them than just what they are screaming at you about.

Thanks for sharing your Mom’s story - I hope she has the most uneventful Disney trips in her future! 😂

I've also had no problem asking at a QS location if someone could help carry my tray out for me. Had one lovely CM show me a nice quiet area at Flame Tree BBQ that doesn't get a lot of traffic and has a great view of Everest.

Thanks for mentioning that. I've thought of it, as a solo, but wondered how it would be received if I asked. But thinking back, they'd probably welcome it. The few times someone's noticed and come out to help me, I get the impression that we're both doing each other a favor. I've had young workers who stay and chat, telling me that they don't want me to eat alone.

IMG_4504.jpegTotally invisible, and it's anxiety-inducing. here's my mom's story:

I’m so sorry that you guys went through that. I was on my phone a so no way to block. I hurt my leg because I keep getting flustered and there is no brakes. So I squeezed like on a bike. Stuck my leg out to try and stop like Fred Flintstone and still hit something. But scooter gang? LOVE IT!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter