Editing software

RichNKatHolly

DIS Veteran
Hi there! I have another newbie question. I'm using my new D80 and would love to know which software is recommended for great editing, effects, etc. I really can't afford an $800 software package (although my dad is a teacher and I know there are significant teacher/student discounts).

What is everyone using that won't break the bank? I want to sharpen colors, convert to b&w, remove busy backgrounds - the basics really.

Thanks so much!!! Oh, I use a Dell Studio laptop for all my uploading/editing (if that matters at all).

I just downloaded the trial for Lightroom 2(which runs $299 I take it) I really like it but still use Paintshop Pro X2(about $50 if you watch for a sale otherwise $99 GREAT all purpose editing) for a lot of things too.

I'm really considering purchasing Lightroom for the RAW editing. I haven't really tried out and paintshop RAW extensions. But find Lightroom very easy to use.

Are you shooting RAW? If so, I'd recommend Capture NX (which is Nikon's software), Aperture or Lightroom for conversion. It's nice to have Photoshop Elements too for extra editing capability. It's really quite capable for its price-probably not necessary to break the bank with CS.

As a Nikon shooter (currently a D80), I'm happy with Capture NX2 and Photoshop ELements 5.

I've been using a trial version of Lightroom 2 as well as Capture NX2. I'm going to purchase Lightroom 2. It makes converting, editing, cropping very quick and easy, even when doing hundreds of photos at a time. Download the 30 day trial version and I bet you'll be hooked.

I've been using a trial version of Lightroom 2 as well as Capture NX2. I'm going to purchase Lightroom 2. It makes converting, editing, cropping very quick and easy, even when doing hundreds of photos at a time. Download the 30 day trial version and I bet you'll be hooked.

I should add: If you don't shoot raw and/or don't need to edit a high volume of photos, you can probably get away with less expensive software.

Thanks all. I'm not shooting RAW at the moment as I'm still learning. But I would probably do so as soon as I get some more experience under my belt.

Thanks for the recommendations. Really hlped narrow down my search!

Download the trial of Lightroom and try out RAW its really fun. :love: I didn't know what took me so long to try RAW but more I read I just went for it. I stopped for awhile because of harddrive space issues but cleared some room and have been shooting RAW lately especially with Lightroom.

Hi there! I have another newbie question. I'm using my new D80 and would love to know which software is recommended for great editing, effects, etc. I really can't afford an $800 software package (although my dad is a teacher and I know there are significant teacher/student discounts).

What is everyone using that won't break the bank? I want to sharpen colors, convert to b&w, remove busy backgrounds - the basics really.

Thanks so much!!! Oh, I use a Dell Studio laptop for all my uploading/editing (if that matters at all).
if you can get a student or teacher discount light room is $99 http://www.campustech.com/department.asp?NAV=01
it may be a little more than you need right now but if you are planning to eventually shoot in raw it's worth it. only thing i use photoshop elements for now is to convert to 8 bit and rgb ( which i probably just need to set in lightroom) and i have some plug ins there i don't think i can add to lightroom.
i also bought corel painter x there with the tablet, another great deal. still muddling my way thru to learn that ;) but it does do pretty much everything that photoshop does and more "artsy " stuff. i like it just getting used to the tablet and doing it is a challenge still.

I will go along with Jann, if you can get the educational discount you might as well go with Lightroom for $100. Photoshop CS4 can be as low as $200, at that price I would (and did) get the full package instead of Elements.

I will go along with Jann, if you can get the educational discount you might as well go with Lightroom for $100. Photoshop CS4 can be as low as $200, at that price I would (and did) get the full package instead of Elements.
Was just going to post this, too. With the educational discount, Lightroom is very value oriented if you shoot in RAW. If not, Photoshop Elements might be a choice. Photoshop is the best, but it is pricey and has a steep learning curve (I almost typed "curse" instead of "curve" which wouldn't be too far off either).

Picked up a few weeks back when Amazon had it on sale for $189. If you are shooting RAW, it is great. I was using a combination of Nikon Transfer/ViewNX and Elements, but with Lightroom I can do almost everything in one place.

Picasa is also a great free option for basic organization and simple edits.

JD

Ok - sounds like Lightroom is the way to go! I am going to take a Photoshop class next week so I'll check that out too.

Thanks so much! Of course, if anyone has any more info it is always greatly appreciated! :goodvibes

I am having problems with the software that came with DH's camcorder when trying to transfer the files to DVD. The DVD looks fine when I view it on the computer, but when we view it on TV using a DVD player, it's choppy and after about 15 minutes, gives a disk error and won't play anymore.

I can't get my photos to transfer over to DVD either. I have no problem putting them on a CD, but then we can't look at them on the TV.

What do you use?

Sounds more like a media (re: dvd-rs) issue than a software issue. Try another brand. Remember, not all dvds are made equally. Plus not every brand of player recognizes every brand of media.

It took me about a year of experimenting before I figured out the ideal match. Then, once I finally figured things out, we purchased a second player. The down stairs player could play dvd+rs 100% without any problem, but not dvd-rs ever. On the other hand, the upstairs' player could play dvd-rs 100% of the time, but dvd+rs only about 50%. So, after months of aggravation, I bought a second of the same brand as the upstairs, seeing as I had more movies on dvd-r and pitched the one downstairs.

I wondered that too, but DH uses this type and has no problems. I've also used 2 different brands and each one of them does the same thing. I have only tried them on one of the DVD players we have though. I'll try them out on a different player tonight and see what happens.

Older players would have more issues with burned media (even if they claimed to support it). Best best for old DVD players is DVD-R, and slow burning (2x).

I even found that the software used made a differnce. Now-a-days, none of that should matter anymore.

I just got the 40d after wanting it since it came out, the software loaded fine but when I plug the usb into the computer to load the pictures, the camera window box comes up and I chose the 40d and then I get the message, camera window uncompatible with conected camera,

It said 5d on the software, could I have the wrong software or is it something else,

I have no clue what is wrong, I also made a mistake of checking the box that said always use the 40d, not sure how I un do that either.

thanks for any opinions on whats happening

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter