Eerrrrrrkkkkkk!!!!!!

Not saying they don't matter and not saying they shouldn't be allowed to make ADRs or anything. Just that Disney should concentrate on their own resorts guests when designing the system.

Haven't they already? Only Disney resort guests can make 10 days worth of reservations at 180 days. Doesn't make that big a difference for most restaurants, but Le Cellier is generally full of Disney resort guests. Locals and offsite guests have to wait for cancellations, or take their chances walking up.

Disney changed back to 180 days after numerous complaints that 90 days wasn't enough time for people to get the restaurants they wanted. I don't see them going back.

Generally "I want the reservation system to be fair" means "I want to be able to get the reservations I want, when I want to make them, without them being unavailable to me." Unfortunately if you want the popular places, they're too popular for that. If CRT were made walk-up only, there'd be a long line outside, and the people who didn't get in (because not everyone can get in) would complain that it wasn't fair. You have to know what to do in order to get what you want, because everyone else wants it, too.

I wish WDW would institute a dining cancellation option on their phone line. It is easy to cancel online, however when not by a computer it is a pain in the neck to cancel by phone.

We were in the MK and had a reservation for CM. One of my sons didn't feel well so we decided to skip it and head back to the hotel. I was on the phone waiting for over 20 minutes so I could cancel the reservation. I'm sure many people would have just hung up - I was tempted to also.

An automated cancellation system could bypass long phone waits and all the silly prompts.

Haven't they already? Only Disney resort guests can make 10 days worth of reservations at 180 days. Doesn't make that big a difference for most restaurants, but Le Cellier is generally full of Disney resort guests. Locals and offsite guests have to wait for cancellations, or take their chances walking up.

Disney changed back to 180 days after numerous complaints that 90 days wasn't enough time for people to get the restaurants they wanted. I don't see them going back.

Generally "I want the reservation system to be fair" means "I want to be able to get the reservations I want, when I want to make them, without them being unavailable to me." Unfortunately if you want the popular places, they're too popular for that. If CRT were made walk-up only, there'd be a long line outside, and the people who didn't get in (because not everyone can get in) would complain that it wasn't fair. You have to know what to do in order to get what you want, because everyone else wants it, too.

On my just-completed trip, I booked my package less than 90 days out. With persistance, I was still able to get everything I ws looking for: Le Celleir, 'Ohana, Chef Mickey's, Coral Reef, and breakfasts at CP, Akersus, and Tusker House - all very close to the times I wanted. So this isn't coming from someone with "sour grapes". I am looking at it objectively and logically and suggesting what I think is the most fair for everyone (not just what works best for me - which is only what most defenders of the 180 days are doing) and what I feel is the best way to reduce abuses of the system. Some people would be negatively impacted by it, yes. Others will be impacted in a positive way.

Look, even with the current system, I believe that if you want certain reservations badly enough, more often than not you can get them. I believe I have proved that first-hand. It's just a lot more work than it should be. And there's a lot of people who probably do not have the time or resources to put in that much work.

They will certainly try. but their ability to do so would be greatly diminished.

I'm not convinced that many are trying to scam the system.:rolleyes: I believe, the bigger issue is free dining. More folks are using TS restaurants, thus it's more difficult to book ressies.

It sounds like you want the system changed for a few. Forget the locals, those who stay offsite or plan months in advance.

It's just a lot more work than it should be. And there's a lot of people who probably do not have the time or resources to put in that much work.
Can you imagine, how time consuming it would be.. if all guests were crammed into 45 or 90 day window? What a nightmare!

I'm not convinced that many are trying to scam the system.:rolleyes: I believe, the bigger issue is free dining. More folks are using TS restaurants, thus it's more difficult to book ressies.

It sounds like you want the system changed for a few. Forget the locals, those who stay offsite or plan months in advance.

Can you imagine, how time consuming it would be.. if all guests were crammed into 45 or 90 day window? What a nightmare!

I wouldn't call making multiple ressies for the same meal scamming the system, per se. The system allows it, so it's not a scam. An abuse, yes...but not a scam. And maybe it's because I'm a cynical NYer...but I do think a lot of people do it. I agree the DDP (free or not) is a factor. But what's happened is, the demand for ADRs is greater than the demand for meals.

One of my sons didn't feel well so we decided to skip it and head back to the hotel. I was on the phone waiting for over 20 minutes so I could cancel the reservation. I'm sure many people would have just hung up - I was tempted to also.

For future reference, you can have a CM at any restaurant kiosk cancel any reservation. Also at the Guest Services window at any park or at the Concierge desk at your hotel. It's very easy.

During our last trip we ran into the same problem.... :confused3

I'm not sure if it's the reservation system or what it is. We were trying to get in to Chef Mickey's for dinner for like 100 days in advance on every time we could possibly find and couldn't do it. They were completely booked!! So each day of our stay we kept checking at the reservations desk... still nothing :rotfl: at the end of our vacation I'd had it and decided to just go there on a whim, asked the ladies at the front desk and whoosh they called us in within 15 mins. :scared1: Talk about LUCK....

Want my advice? If there's a place you really want to eat at... just go and ask when you're ready to eat. It cannot hurt. The worst they can say is No. :rolleyes1:

Good Luck to you and have a fantastic trip!!

During our last trip we ran into the same problem.... :confused3

I'm not sure if it's the reservation system or what it is. We were trying to get in to Chef Mickey's for dinner for like 100 days in advance on every time we could possibly find and couldn't do it. They were completely booked!! ...

...on a whim, asked the ladies at the front desk and whoosh they called us in within 15 mins. :scared1: Talk about LUCK....

Chef Mickey's is one of the most "hard to get" ressies in WDW. I'm not surprised, you found nothing at the 100 day mark. You VERY LUCKY to get a walk up.

For future reference, you can have a CM at any restaurant kiosk cancel any reservation. Also at the Guest Services window at any park or at the Concierge desk at your hotel. It's very easy.

Yes, you are correct. Thanks for making that point. In our case we were already on our way out and the line for Guest Relations was pretty long.

My point was more general in nature. I think an automated cancellation option on the phone system would make it easier for people to cancel and maybe more likely to do so.

I guess it's the theoretical nature of the discussion that is keeping this thread alive, but I wonder if a practical solution might be for the ADR window to open at the same time as park hour information is released? I don't know when that is, and it could be 180 days, which would make me look a bit silly.

Alternatively, is there any reason why they can't extend the ADR window to exactly one year (or 365 days, if the year would play havoc with their coding)?

I guess it's the theoretical nature of the discussion that is keeping this thread alive, but I wonder if a practical solution might be for the ADR window to open at the same time as park hour information is released? I don't know when that is, and it could be 180 days, which would make me look a bit silly.

Alternatively, is there any reason why they can't extend the ADR window to exactly one year (or 365 days, if the year would play havoc with their coding)?

Park hours and dining reservations are both released 180 days in advance. That way, people know what park hours are before they make their reservations. EMH might affect when people eat.

I wonder if a practical solution might be for the ADR window to open at the same time as park hour information is released?

I agree, it is practical solution. Ability to book ADR's and park hours are released on the same day . This is reasonable and why it is done.

Well, if you think having dinner plans 180 days in advance is ridiculous, like I do, obviously 365 days would be even worse in your eyes. Although, if I were a betting man, I would bet that it will happen at some point in the future.

Theoretically speaking, there is some logic to tying the number to when park schedules are finalized. At least you can plan out where you'll be and when a little better. However, I don't believe there is any set timeframe for park/entertainment schedules to be finalized though, and it is probably less than 180 days - although they may have "tentative" schedules (subject to change) available sooner. But if they do end up changing park hours and/or parade or fireworks schedules...it could throw off your whole ADR plan. That is less likely to happen the closer you get to whatever dates one may be looking at. So going the other way and decreasing the number makes much more sense to me.

I miss the trips when you could be walking into one of the Parks and call Disney Dining and make an ADR for within that hour at pretty much any restaurant you wanted.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter