Electric Scooter in the Rain??

Forevryoung

DIS Veteran
Ok, I am double checking something before I start an argument with my favorite people :rolleyes:

An electric scooter cant get wet?? So if it's raining, which it will be because we are going in June, we cant go to the parks or we will have to take her stroller?

Is this true? I thought that the rain would have no effect on the electric stuff just like the rain doesnt effect a car but I was told otherwise tonight- :sunny:

The controls of an electric scooter needs to be kept dry. I use a shower cap to cover mine but still drive in the rain if it is not really pouring.

If we didn't use DD's power wheelchair in the rain or snow, she would never get outside the house with it (MN is pretty wet).
A few sprinkles probably won't hurt, but anything more, you need protection. We use either an umbrella held by someone walking next to her or a ponch that covers her and he wheelchair.
Also to think about, in the rain some of the walkways are more slick, so traction can sometimes be a problem. Not as much for a power wheelchair, which tend to have more "knobby" tires, but some scooters have very smooth tires and might have a little more trouble with hydroplaning.

Talking Hands, using a shower cap is a wonderful idea! Thank you.

We have two bad experiences with power chairs and rain. Last summer, our DD was using a rental power chair at WDW. One morning it was drizzling and we used a poncho as well as an umbrella. We did MK in the am and really didn't think the chair got wet at all. We went to GFC for lunch. Our DD was trying to adjust her chair at the table and put it in reverse. It took off and would not stop. My husband ran after her and was able to act as a "wall." It was very scary. It could have happened on a dock or by a street.

She also had her own power chair just stop after she was out in some rain this school year. Luckily, she was back at the dorm when it quit.

I'm calling her this am to tell her about the shower cap. Thanks again, Talking Hands! :sunny:

Ok well we will have her stroller with us too and I will bring along a shower cap for the controls.

I hate sticking her in the stroller and I feel selfish but I refuse to miss a day in the parks because it is raining. :umbrella:

BCV23 said:
I'm calling her this am to tell her about the shower cap. Thanks again, Talking Hands! :sunny:
If she can't find a shower cap, I have also seen some covers for bowls (I think they are made by Glad). You will find them in the section of the store where they carry ziplock food storage bags.
The advantage of those is that you get a box of them instead of one shower cap that might get mislaid.

Great idea, Sue. I just added those to my shopping list.

And I have to laugh at myself. When I read your post, I was picturing Tupperware type plastic lids. :rotfl2: I was wondering how that could possibly work! LOL

Barb

BCV23 said:
Great idea, Sue. I just added those to my shopping list.
And I have to laugh at myself. When I read your post, I was picturing
Tupperware type plastic lids. :rotfl2: I was wondering how that could possibly work! LOL
Barb

Barb,
I am a Tupperware consultant and believe me if I could foind a way to use Tupperware to cover my controller with Tupperware I would.

When Walker rents out an ECV they have a small plastic bag with a shower cap in in attached to the bar that is used to lower the tiller. They say it should be used if the ECV is out in the rain. There is no problem with any other part (except the seat) getting wet.

Talking Hands said:
Barb,
I am a Tupperware consultant and believe me if I could foind a way to use Tupperware to cover my controller with Tupperware I would.
I was thinking that.
Maybe you could figure out a way to slit the bottom;)

Your Tupperware comment made me laugh, Barb.
:rotfl:

i use those 99 cents ponchos from walmart,kmart etc... i put one over the seat and it drapes down over the battery and power train area. on the tiller/controls i use a disney shopping large bag to put over which also drapes down almost to the floorboard. fortunately the controls are so simple i can control from outside of bag. but i also really like the shower cap thingie too. yet i know on my scooter which is a travel one i have to cover the entire tiller/wires/connections.

then of course i put a poncho on me, ya know could melt if got wet <G>

those cheap ponchos are great for so many things, and if doesn't "hurt" to throw away if gets torn, or just yucky.

just a note- when i rented from Randy's in jan of 2005 they made be sign that i would NOT use the ecv in the rain...hard to avoid rain in Florida! on a previous rental, Walker just gave us the shower cap.

Remember to drape the poncho over the back of the seat and not to sit on it or the rain will run right down and soak the seat. :umbrella: The shower cap over the controls works great. As someone said Walker's has them on the scooter so they expect you to be in the rain sometimes. What does Randy's expect you to do if you are caught in a shower? :confused3

Nanajo1 said:
What does Randy's expect you to do if you are caught in a shower? :confused3

the person dropping it off told me i was expected to head indoors (restaurant, etc.) and wait it out.

That's funny. I did the same thing. I took a bunch of those Glad sure fit plastic covers with the elastic edge to put over my controls. I usually carry a cheap wallet size disposable poncho to wear when it rains, but for the scooter, I found some wallet size disposable, plastic tarps that I was going to put over the scooter if it looked like it was going to rain and I parked my scooter while dining at a restaurant. That poncho suggestion about putting the back of the ponch over the back of the seat is really important if you want to keep your seat dry.

But if it was pouring outside, I think that I would wait it out or not go out.

Any other suggestions?

Ray

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter