Embarrassing Story

J. Thornhill

Watermouse Captain
Considering the people involved and the discussions on this board, I thought it might be appropriate to post this story here.

A week ago last Tuesday, my girlfriend and I spent the afternoon at MGM. I was eager to check out the BAH and the “One Man’s Dream” exhibit I’d heard so much about. The crowds were extremely light at that time, and as we passed the entrance to the exhibit, an eager CM ushered us in. We were both deeply impressed with the depth and complexity of the exhibit, and spent several minutes loitering around. As we got to the last room (just before the film), the room emptied out and the theatre doors closed, forcing us to wait the seven or eight minutes until the next showing.

When I turned around from the theater doors, whom do I see but Marty Sklar! He was leading a group of casually dressed CM’s (who I assumed to be Imagineers) around the exhibit, explaining things and listening to their comments. I followed closely enough to listen, enjoying my little bit of espionage. They really didn’t discuss much but some small changes that they intended to make to the exhibit. After a few minutes, their little group broke up, and I returned to my girlfriend who was looking at the model of Grizzly River Run.

When I joined her she said

“Where’s this ride?”

“Disney’s California Adventure” I responded.

At this point Marty Sklar walks up to the glass case.

“Isn’t that the one you said really sucks with no rides?” she asks.

I knew I shouldn’t have looked him in the face, but I honestly couldn’t help myself. He looked like if he’d had a rifle he’d have shot me.

I wanted to blend into the carpet, dry up and blow away. But what could I do? Luckily the theatre doors opened, and Mr. Sklar followed the other CM’s through a doorway to the right of the theater entrance.

In a pathetic attempt to pacify myself, I hoped that perhaps I’d made a mistake, and that this man was really someone else. I walked up and asked an attraction CM, and he excitedly confirmed it, surprised that I recognized Marty Sklar even when his fellow CM’s didn’t. He told me that Mr. Pressler had been through earlier in the day. I found some small solace in the fact that we’d come later in the day. Just think of the humiliation I could have brought upon myself if I’d been there with Paul!

Anyway, I hope you found some humor in my abject mortification.

LOL!! That's too funny. I bet he gets that a lot from people. :p It's cool that you saw him, you should have asked him about new attractions, of the cuts!

Don't feel bad, I'd probably make a similar horse's patootey of myself.

He was probably just mad, because he knows.

I feel your pain, but don't you think he needs to hear the painful truth?

Actually, I think he knows that. He's an Imagineer, and they had much better things in mind...and then the bean-counters ruined it all. :mad:

I agree with these others...he's gotta know that its not up to par...but it probably still doesn't feel good to hear it stated so baldly. Just like my mother's comments on my housekeeping...no its not always perfect, but it still angers me to have it thrown in my face!

If it was me, and my "good luck", it probably be Esiner, the stock holders, Pressler, Tony Baxter, Regis, Drew Carry, and many other famous people and people who run the compony. I could see Esiner pick me up by the shirt and throw me out of the park!

I understand how you feel but my horror story is just plain humilating. Last November my partner and I were enjoing a day at Epcot. As we were waiting to go in 'Honey We.....' I felt quite ill.i tried toget out togo to the bathroom but people blocked my path. Just as I was about to get outside it happened. I not only threw up but projected it 10ft. I then was sick in the flower bed just outside the building. My partner Nic went very red as people young people video taped me and took photo!!!. Screams of urgh sick haunt my nightmares to this day. Disney were great offering to take me the hospital etc( I imagined Snow White and the 7 dwarfs helping me). But I was perfectly fine once I'd be sick and was dutifully pointed at and referred to as the girl who puked at Honey we shrunk....

Make you feel any better?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter