Every Mile is a Miracle

Monday 9/3
  • Running - None
    • While it was a rest day, Bay wanted to go "run a mile on the track", so we got the whole family up and to the track. She ended up run/walking .75 mi with us. We let her delegate when to walk and when to run. She wants to do it again but not on the track next time.
  • Steps - 6,146
  • Cross Training - None
  • Life - Day off!
    • I know we spent some time on the couch.
    • I know we played some Mario Kart.
    • I know we didn't do much else.
    • Overall Stress Level - 9/100

Tuesday 9/4
  • Running - Plan: 5 mi @ EA (11:45) / Actual: 5 mi @ 11:28
    • Despite the naps that I took all weekend and going to bed on time, I still slept in, missing my morning run time.
    • Which means, I had to run after work.
    • It was 104* in minimal shade with so much humidity.
    • Yuck.
    • Splits: 11:58, 11:22, 11:14, 11:56, 10:55 (WOW I was all over the place.)
  • Steps - 11,948
  • Cross Training - None
  • Life - When Tuesday is disguised as a Monday *thumbs down emoji*
    • We have two people out from work this week, so that's cool.
    • I had some friend drama happen over the weekend that I am hiding from.
    • Bay had her first Swim Practice today on our local swim team!! While I was never on this specific team, this was the pool that I competed in for 4 years during high school. She is excited for her first swim meet in a few weeks. Should be fun!
    • Overall Stress Level - 8/100

Sounds like a perfect Labor Day!!

Boo to friend drama. Sometimes friends as adults is weird and hard and confusing.

Yay Bay!! I was a swimmer too! I hope she loves it! Please tell me how her meet goes. :)

Total jealous that you are heading to DL for Halloween. Also I am sure you will crush your race. I am hoping for cooler temps for you here on the East Coast for race day.

Awesome that Bay wanted to go for a run! I love when my daughter wants to run with us. It's not very often, unfortunately, as we get up so early to run, but it's fun when she goes with us.

Hope your friend drama works out okay. That stuff is exhausting.

Oh yeah. I know. But one day maybe that pace won't be my T Pace..... you know?

::yes::

Not meant as a brag, but I get the thinking of "could this current pace become that other distance pace?"

First 5k (7:35 min/mile) *2.5 years after starting running -> Best 5k (6:16 min/mile)
First 10k (8:19 min/mile) *2.5 years after starting running -> Best 10k (6:25 min/mile)
First HM (9:09 min/mile) -> Best HM (6:55 min/mile)
First M (11:05 min/mile) -> Best M (7:24 min/mile)

Training Paces for First Run vs 2:00 HM vs 1:30 HM vs 2:58 M

Screen Shot 2018-09-06 at 12.20.38 PM.png

Something that could be held for 60 min (Daniels T) in April 2014 has become a theoretical ~100k pace or 9 hours (per McMillan a R value of 1.07 race equivalency).

It's coming for you, I just know it.

Wednesday 9/5
  • Running - Plan: 5 mi @ EB (10:58) / Actual: 5.05 mi @ 13:15
    • My shin was giving me some grief so I walked more than I care to admit.
    • Better safe than sorry.
  • Steps - 14,361
  • Cross Training - None
  • Life - 11 days until the Navy Half!
    • This week has been off because of the holiday on Monday.
    • I'm ready for it to be over.
    • Overall Stress Level - 12/100
Thursday 9/6
  • Running - Plan: .5 mi @ WU + 5 mi @ HM Tempo (9:24) + .5 mi @ CD (BLIND) / Actual: .5 mi @ 11:35 + 5 mi @ 9:25 + .5 mi @ 11:45
    • This was my last hard workout of my training plan AND it was a BLIND run!
    • At first my legs were not having it, but at about the 1 mile mark they were finally warmed up.
    • I did really good not looking at my watch and truly focusing on my effort and pace. I felt like I had to work for my pace but not struggle to keep it.
    • The weather was perfect.
    • Splits: 9:38, 9:29, 9:15, 9:22, 9:15 (BOOM)
  • Steps - 14,059
  • Cross Training - None
  • Life - 10 days until the Navy Half!
    • How many books can you read at one time? I am currently listening to 2 audiobooks and reading 2 other books. I am almost done with one of the audiobooks, and it was due today. OOPS. I am going to drop it off later and pay my late fee immediately.
    • I ate a cupcake for lunch and I regret nothing.
    • Taper starts now. WOO! I made it!
    • Overall Stress Level - 23/100

Thanks!!! :)

Also, every time you comment, I see your counter in your signature and get so nervous/excited.

tenor.gif

Running - Plan: .5 mi @ WU + 5 mi @ HM Tempo (9:24) + .5 mi @ CD (BLIND) / Actual: .5 mi @ 11:35 + 5 mi @ 9:25 + .5 mi @ 11:45
  • This was my last hard workout of my training plan AND it was a BLIND run!
  • At first my legs were not having it, but at about the 1 mile mark they were finally warmed up.
  • I did really good not looking at my watch and truly focusing on my effort and pace. I felt like I had to work for my pace but not struggle to keep it.
  • The weather was perfect.
  • Splits: 9:38, 9:29, 9:15, 9:22, 9:15 (BOOM)

We've gone over this, but you crushed this run. Well done! For as much as you may beat yourself up about missed runs and training lapses, don't. You are right where I'd hoped you be and then some. You've got this! Trust yourself, stay motivated, and above all else - smile! It's the victory lap after all. Welcome to the taper!

Running - Plan: .5 mi @ WU + 5 mi @ HM Tempo (9:24) + .5 mi @ CD (BLIND) / Actual: .5 mi @ 11:35 + 5 mi @ 9:25 + .5 mi @ 11:45

Girl! This run is amazing! I'm so impressed - you killed it! Time to enjoy your taper :)
I really want to come cheer for you in person, but ... September sucks. I will be tracking and cheering from afar - I'm excited for you to crush this race!

Major bonus points for using Rhino the Hamster. Because as he reminds us, "the impossible can be possible, if you're AWESOME!!!!!" Also, I almost have to stop for a photo with Rhino along the course if he somehow magically appears. Because he's beawesome.

Navy Air Force Half Marathon, Sunday 9/16, Washington, D.C.
I am 9 days away from the race so I guess I will just analyze everything from now until I am on the plane flying across the country to run this race alone. This is so weird to me. I have no issue flying to Orlando to run a WDW race, but for some reason, I understand how weird it sounds to fly across the country just for a race. Which is what all of my friends have said to me when they ask me what I have been training for. But I also get to see some old friends and I get to have lunch with @FredtheDuck at the place where my water broke when I was pregnant with Bay. I am pretty excited for this trip.

The Course
Y’ALL! I finally picked a FLAT course! I don’t even know how to feel about it. It’s gonna be weird not running up a mountain. Haha. The course goes all around DC and I love this city so I am pretty pumped about it.
course.JPG

elevation.JPG

The Weather
So the universe was like “Oh, ideal course? Hold my beer. How about this weather?!”
Humidity will be the death of me. How do I even stay cool in 84% humidity? Send me all your tips!
temp.JPG

Oh man, in the matter of hours of me typing this out at work the weather has already changed. I could run in some rain for sure.
temp2.JPG

The Medal
This medal is gonna be my favorite one of the year! Not only does it look cool, but the jet on it MOVES. I love it!!
40129767_1024001777774549_1567765141527724032_o.jpg

The Outfit/Gear
If there is one thing that I am the absolute worst at, it is time management. My brain just cannot ever fully calculate how long things take. Examples: getting ready, driving anywhere, ordering things online… SoOoOoOo, I just ordered my shirt that I want to wear for my race this afternoon. Even though I found this shirt over a month ago. Let’s cross our fingers it gets here by Thursday.
shirt.JPG

I am going to pair it with a yellow sparkle athletic skirt. I don’t have any matching compression socks, so I might either go black with those or wear short socks. I am definitely wearing my Tie Dye Brooks. As for my phone… I tried to get some new compression shorts to wear under my skirt that had a pocket for my phone but Old Navy kept cancelling my order. I really don’t want to hold my phone like I usually do, so I am going to give my phone holder a few tries this week during my taper. It usually annoys me and sucks so I only wear it on my hydration belt where it stays put. I don’t really want to wear my belt during the race. Shoot, do I just not run with my phone??... Hmmm.. I was actually planning on making a play list this week and running to music which I usually never do during a race… Hmmmmm…. So much to think about.

The Goals
I decided to come up with a list of goals so that as long as I hit at least one I will feel okay with myself.

1. Leave everything out there on the course. Seriously feel on empty when I cross that finish line.

2. Sub 2 hour

3. 1:53:30

4. New PR, which would be anything under 2:22:22

Tracking
YES – you will be able to track me! All you have to do is download the NAF Half App for your phone. Once I get my bib on Saturday I will post it here, or you can search my name, and then you can enjoy your morning watching me run around DC. Please post pictures of you drinking coffee and or booze for me. It would be much appreciated. ;)

I have no issue flying to Orlando to run a WDW race, but for some reason, I understand how weird it sounds to fly across the country just for a race.
You get to run in Washington, DC. That's reason enough to fly cross country for a race. If others don't see the appeal of running by some of those landmarks that's on them. That said, I prefer to not tell people I'm training for Dopey. Training for a marathon is enough.

This medal is gonna be my favorite one of the year! Not only does it look cool, but the jet on it MOVES. I love it!!
That's a sweet medal. One of my favorite features of the Star Wars virtual medal this year is the X-Wing that flies on the medal. But the X-Wing is made of plastic. That jet looks sweet.

I decided to come up with a list of goals so that as long as I hit at least one I will feel okay with myself.
I love this kind of approach. It acknowledges that circumstances beyond our control may prevent achieving a worthy goal, but still allows us to see the result of the hard work that's gone into this moment.

But I also get to see some old friends and I get to have lunch with @FredtheDuck at the place where my water broke when I was pregnant with Bay. I am pretty excited for this trip.

SO pumped for this!!

I love that tank and am obsessed with the medal.

Don’t stress too much about the weather here. It changes so fast and now we have a weather system coming in midweek that’ll probably help, too.

That course looks awesome! How amazing to get to run a race through DC! That medal is beautiful. They really put a lot of thought into it. Even the shade of blue for the ribbon is perfect.

Don’t stress too much about the weather just yet.

I hope your shirt gets to you in time. Amazon has some compression shorts with pockets that have some good reviews.

I just downloaded the app to track you so I can virtually cheer you on :cheer2:

Y’ALL! I finally picked a FLAT course! I don’t even know how to feel about it. It’s gonna be weird not running up a mountain. Haha. The course goes all around DC and I love this city so I am pretty pumped about it.

I just pulled up a map of DC on Google Maps (because I don't actually know where anything is in DC) and it looks like there's some fun stuff to look at along the course. Nice!

The jet moves? What?? That is awesome!! I am super jealous of that medal!

Hmmm.. I was actually planning on making a play list this week and running to music which I usually never do during a race…

So ... you know I'm all about the race playlist. But if it's not what you normally do, I don't know that now is the time to start racing to music. Nothing new on race day. (Although really, if you make the playlist far enough in advance to practice with it, then it's not something new, even if it's not what you normally do for races...)
One of the hardest parts of running is figuring out what to do with your phone. Seriously. I've run in a denim skirt just because I needed a pocket for my phone and I didn't have anything else. So I get the struggle.

1. Leave everything out there on the course. Seriously feel on empty when I cross that finish line.

2. Sub 2 hour

3. 1:53:30

4. New PR, which would be anything under 2:22:22

I love all of these goals and I'm excited to see you crush one or more of them!!!

YES – you will be able to track me! All you have to do is download the NAF Half App for your phone. Once I get my bib on Saturday I will post it here, or you can search my name, and then you can enjoy your morning watching me run around DC. Please post pictures of you drinking coffee and or booze for me. It would be much appreciated. ;)

App is downloaded. I cannot promise any pictures of me drinking coffee or booze, because I don't ever remember to take pictures like that, but if you do end up running with your phone, I can promise some encouraging text messages (well...maybe)!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter