Everything Genie, Genie+ and Individual Lightning Lane - Please Read Posts 1-7

I'm honestly not sure if they disappear as I haven't allowed any of mine to expire since I know I could not get that attraction again. In cases where something happened and I wasn't going to arrive in time I modified either to a later time or, a different attraction at a later time.
According to this answer on planDisney, they should expire, disappear, and no longer be able to be used. The answer indicates that there is only a 5 minute grace period on either end of the reservation time.

https://plandisney.disney.go.com/qu...ations-genie-grace-period-window-time-528720/

Personally, I think the main thing to keep in mind is the idea of "what if everyone did this?". What would the result be if every person who booked a LL showed up an hour late? Or showed up whenever they wanted?

Wow...I didn't realize if you didn't use your scheduled LL for an attraction and let it expire that you couldn't rebook it..I've never let mine expire anyhow or shown up more than 5 minutes late but I'm glad to know to pay attention just in case and rebook or cancel.

Did the light turn blue first? I was over an hour late for Jungle Cruise 2 months ago and it turned green immediately when I scanned.
The light turns blue when you are late (or early) instead of green.

I guess I was still remembering the "fast passes never expire" rule of years ago (and that definitely was the rule back then you could go in your hour, or any time after that) and I though Genie+ was the same. They did let us ride both times this happened.

my wife and I will be there in March along with my daughters school band group. We will be resort guests and the band group will actually also be resort guests but since the Travel Company made the reservation it won’t be linked to the students account, so I’m thinking Disney won’t recognize them as resort guests.
If the students don’t show up as resort guests will I be able to purchase them ILL at 7am since I am?
I wasn’t sure if resort guests could purchase non resort guests, linked as friends and family, ILL at 7.

my wife and I will be there in March along with my daughters school band group. We will be resort guests and the band group will actually also be resort guests but since the Travel Company made the reservation it won’t be linked to the students account, so I’m thinking Disney won’t recognize them as resort guests.
If the students don’t show up as resort guests will I be able to purchase them ILL at 7am since I am?
I wasn’t sure if resort guests could purchase non resort guests, linked as friends and family, ILL at 7.
7AM ILLs are for resort guests, so they'd have to be listed/recognized as on-site resort guests. Seems like there should be a way to recognize their stay and the privileges that come with it.

A guest needs to be identified as staying at a Disney resort in order to be eligible to purchase ILL$ at 7AM. If your daughter is not showing as a Disney resort guest, she will not be eligible for an ILL$ until park opening.

we have annual passes, is it possible to make LL’s for MK if the park is out of reservations for the day? We have a park ressie for Epcot but would like to go to MK at night.

we have annual passes, is it possible to make LL’s for MK if the park is out of reservations for the day? We have a park ressie for Epcot but would like to go to MK at night.
Is the park full for reservations or, are you asking a hypothetical question?

Only asking as we have not had any reports of parks filling for reservations for APs since everything changed last month.

Is the park full for reservations or, are you asking a hypothetical question?

Only asking as we have not had any reports of parks filling for reservations for APs since everything changed last month.
Unfortunately I wanted to go to MK on Friday and it’s the only park with no availability. But I keep checking! Lol

Unfortunately I wanted to go to MK on Friday and it’s the only park with no availability. But I keep checking! Lol
This is a first since the changes in Jan.

What we do know is in the past, even though a park was full for park reservations, park hopping was not stopped (except in one extremely rare situation that does not apply here.)

Based on history I would anticipate you’ll be fine to book LL in MK and hop but we won’t truly know until you or someone else tries.

Hope it all works out.

My kids marched in MK last year the week of Easter. My son was able to link with his friends and with us. I was able to get him a Tron VQ and on the last day him and friends got Genie +. They showed as being resort guests. My daughter had no desire to learn any of this. They all had a great time. I hope your daughters have a great time.

If they are marching in MK, you can watch them in Frontierland and then if you move fast, you can make to the front of the park to be able to watch them their too. This is what we did.

I noticed something this past weekend. I stacked rides at HS for mid-afternoon to evening and shortly after our ToT ride I immediately checked the App and saw ToT still listed as unused. It showed that way for only a few minutes. I actually clicked to modify time and choices popped up for later times in the evening. Not sure it would even go thru and was afraid it would take away one of the other stacked rides (I had SDD for early evening). Just thought it was strange.

One thing I did not like this past trip was having to pay top price for ‘mutilple park Genie+’ AFTER already paying extra to Park hop.

Last edited:
We have complimentary park hopper tickets linked to our account for an upcoming stay. These still require park pass reservations. How will this affect my ability to book G+ and ILL? Will I only be able to book in the morning for the park we have reservations for? I think for virtual que we have to have park reservations, but not sure about G+ and ILL.
Thank you!!

We have complimentary park hopper tickets linked to our account for an upcoming stay. These still require park pass reservations. How will this affect my ability to book G+ and ILL? Will I only be able to book in the morning for the park we have reservations for? I think for virtual que we have to have park reservations, but not sure about G+ and ILL.
Thank you!!
Yes, to book a VQ at 7AM you need to have a park reservation for that park.

If you purchase G+ with the multiple park option you will be eligible to book a LL at any park at 7AM.

You willl also be eligible to book 2 ILL$ at any parks. If staying onsite you may do this at 7AM. If staying offsite you may do this when the park opens, if any remain.

I think I'm finally got a good understanding of Genie Plus and reserving Lightning Lanes. Although I had two questions if someone would be able to explain for me...

Question 1
If I start my day at Animal Kingdom and the park opens at 8am, I'll be able to reserve my first Lightning Lane at 7am. Since park opens at 8am, I should be able to reserve my second LL two hours after park opening at 10am. Although if I have Park Hopper and planning to spend the afternoon at Magic Kingdom which opens an hour later at 9am. Would I be able to reserve my second LL at 10am for an attraction at Magic Kingdom? Or is that 2 hour wait after park opening at 10am only good for Animal Kingdom attractions and I'd have to wait till 11am to reserve a LL for Magic Kingdom?

Question 2
I start my day at Animal Kingdom but will park hop to Magic Kingdom in the afternoon. If I reserve a Lightning Lane at 7am for Jungle Cruise and the return time if for 12:30pm. I then at 11am I'll reserve my second LL for Peter Pan. My third LL would not be available for another 2 hours till 1pm. In this scenario, if I'm near Jungle Cruise at 12:30pm, I know if I use my Lightning Lane at 12:30pm, I'll be able to reserve my 3rd LL right after scanning in for Jungle Cruise.

Question I have, in that scenario, since I'm only 30 minutes from hitting the 2 hour mark to reserve my 3rd LL at 1pm. Would I be able to get a bite to eat, wait 30 minutes and then reserve my 3rd LL at 1pm. Then at 1:05pm, if I scan into my reserved 12:30am to 1:30pm LL for Jungle Cruise. Would Genie Plus allow me to reserve my 4th LL right after scanning into Jungle Cruise? Or would I have to wait a bit more time, since I already picked up a LL at 1pm?

I think I'm finally got a good understanding of Genie Plus and reserving Lightning Lanes. Although I had two questions if someone would be able to explain for me...

Question 1
If I start my day at Animal Kingdom and the park opens at 8am, I'll be able to reserve my first Lightning Lane at 7am. Since park opens at 8am, I should be able to reserve my second LL two hours after park opening at 10am. Although if I have Park Hopper and planning to spend the afternoon at Magic Kingdom which opens an hour later at 9am. Would I be able to reserve my second LL at 10am for an attraction at Magic Kingdom? Or is that 2 hour wait after park opening at 10am only good for Animal Kingdom attractions and I'd have to wait till 11am to reserve a LL for Magic Kingdom?

Question 2
I start my day at Animal Kingdom but will park hop to Magic Kingdom in the afternoon. If I reserve a Lightning Lane at 7am for Jungle Cruise and the return time if for 12:30pm. I then at 11am I'll reserve my second LL for Peter Pan. My third LL would not be available for another 2 hours till 1pm. In this scenario, if I'm near Jungle Cruise at 12:30pm, I know if I use my Lightning Lane at 12:30pm, I'll be able to reserve my 3rd LL right after scanning in for Jungle Cruise.

Question I have, in that scenario, since I'm only 30 minutes from hitting the 2 hour mark to reserve my 3rd LL at 1pm. Would I be able to get a bite to eat, wait 30 minutes and then reserve my 3rd LL at 1pm. Then at 1:05pm, if I scan into my reserved 12:30am to 1:30pm LL for Jungle Cruise. Would Genie Plus allow me to reserve my 4th LL right after scanning into Jungle Cruise? Or would I have to wait a bit more time, since I already picked up a LL at 1pm?
1. As I understand it, whether it is two hours after AK opens or two hours after MK opens is dependent on where you book your first LL, not the park you enter first or the park where your second LL will be. If your first LL is a 12:30 Navi River Journey, you can book your next one at 10:00, two hours after AK opens. If your first LL is a 12:30 Jungle Cruise, you can book your next one at 11:00, two hours after MK opens.

2. Once you book Peter Pan, tapping in to the earlier-booked Jungle Cruise does nothing with regard to when you can next book a LL. If you book Peter Pan at 11:00, you cannot book another LL after tapping in to Jungle Cruise at 12:30 (or 1:05 or any other time). When you can book your next LL is dependent on your most-recently-booked LL, not on earlier-booked ones. They changed this in November 2021. Before then, there as a loophole that would have let you book a new one at the 2-hour mark and after tapping in to the earlier-booked Jungle Cruise. But that loophole was closed.

The rule now is that you are eligible to make a new Genie+ LL reservation whenever one of the following four things occur (special rules apply if the ride goes "down"):

1. You tap into your most-recent G+ LL reservation
2. You cancel your most-recent G+ LL reservation
3. Your most-recent G+ LL reservation expires
4. Two park hours (i.e. hours the park is open) pass since making your most-recent G+ LL reservation

Last edited:
Question 2

To answer this question, I am going to invoke some imagery using a common phrase used to describe the 2-hour period of time you are describing which is a cool down period. So if we think about it this way, when you book a HOT ATTRACTION with a return time greater than 2-hours from the current time, that triggers a 2-hour cool down period. After the 2-hour cool down period, you can book another LL.

In the hypothetical scenario you provide....
Book
JUNGLE CRUISE and trigger a cool down period that ends at 11am.
Book
PETER PAN and trigger a cool down period that ends at 1pm.
When you use the Jungle Cruise LL, you will still be within the
cool down period for PETER PAN and won't be able to book another LL until you either use the Peter Pan LL or are no longer within a cool down period.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter