Everything Virtual Queue - Please Read Posts 1 and 2

lovethattink

TPAS Moderator
Update:

Starting January 9,2024, Guests are able to join one attraction virtual queue at any theme park where they have valid admission. Guests may only hold one attraction virtual queue at a time.

AP Guests do not require a park reservation on a 'Good to Go' day so are eligible to join a VQ without a park reservation on those days.

Select admission types may also require a theme park reservation to join a virtual queue.

Guests do not need to be inside a theme park to request to join the virtual queue at 7:00 AM.

Guests must have tapped into the theme park an attraction is located in to request to join the virtual queue at 1:00 PM.

No Theme Park Reservation Required

Date-based 1-day ticket
Date-based multi-day ticket
Vacation package with date-based tickets

Theme Park Reservation Required

Student group tickets
Sport and Convention ticket
Disney Military Salute Ticket
Annual Pass
All other ticket types not mentioned above
——————————————————-

This thread is a work in progress please help me fill in what I've missed or correct any changes. If anyone has screen shots of the process, please post them.

The purpose of this thread is about how to get a Boarding Group for Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind and Tron Lightcycle Run. This is basically the same thread that was posted for RotR when that attraction used a Virtual Queue.

As of this posting, there are two attractions, Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind and the Tron Lightcycle Run
are using the purchased Individual Lightning Lane reservations and Virtual Queue options.

The Moana inspired attraction, Journey of Water is occasionally using VQ.

The intent of this thread is to discuss the Virtual Queue option.

Tron Lightcycle Run VQ info is in post 2.
**Please note that you must enter the attraction during your VQ return window or you may not be allowed to ride!** (Including DAS)
💫The VQ at both 7am and 1pm are filling up in seconds, and the 6pm is expected to fill quickly too.💫

No Spoilers.

Basic Acronym List
VQ - Virtual Queue
BG - Boarding Group
$ILL - Individual Lightning Lane
EEH - Extended Evening Hours
GotG - Guardians of the Galaxy
TRON - Tron Lightcycle Run
JoW - Journey of Water

The only way to ride this attraction is by having either a BG or an $ILL. You may hold both an $ILL AND and a BG.

Using a BG is free of charge.
Using an $ILL has a fee per person.

There is NO standby entry.

Steps to get a BG for both GotG and TRON:
-At 6am, 12pm, or 5pm you can choose who will be in your BG from MDE
-The 2 most popular methods of getting a BG
1. Tap the 3 lines in MDE
2. Choose Virtual Queue
3. Choose your party
4. A couple minutes before 7am, 1pm, or 6pm tap the refresh button at the bottom of the page repeatedly. It will change to join at exactly 7am, 1pm, or ?.
5. Click Join
OR
4. Use Time.gov on a separate device and at 6:59:59 or 12:59:59, or 5:59:59 and click the button at the bottom
5. Follow any prompts.

You may only get a BG on a day you have a Park Reservation for Epcot or during EEH. An additional eligibility for summer 2023 is a 4Day/4 Park ticket will also qualify a guest to be eligible to try for a VQ even though they don’t have an actual park reservation.

Or see exception.
(Please note, if you have a park reservation for a park other than Epcot the day of EEH, you need to tap into the first park at some point before entering Epcot assuming you have a hopper or AP. You cannot have a non-hopper ticket with a park reservation for MK, Studios, or AK and go to Epcot EEH.
Exception:
And if it is still available after 2:00, those who park hop from another park can get it. -thank you @subtchr for sharing your experience with this!

At 7am, you do not have to be in the park.
At 1pm, you would have had to tap into Epcot for GotG beforehand, or MK for Tron. But you don't have to physically be in Epcot at 1pm as long as you tapped into the park earlier.

For the 6pm VQ, you do not have to be in Epcot, and do not have to tap in for GotG according to @ZYX2008 who got a VQ while at the Poly without tapping into Epcot. All guests who are eligible for the 6PM drop (EEH night + deluxe resort stay + Epcot reservation or PH pass) May try for 6PM drop. Note: 6PM VQ guests may be called to ride prior to EEH hours officially beginning.

You may only hold one BG at either 7am or 1pm. However, you can have one of those BG AND at EEH BG!

Having a BG does not guarantee you'll get to ride.

The notification you receive will show your return window, it gives you an hour. However, to date, no one has reported being turned away for showing up late for a BG.

A few people have reported issues (using the same account, and one getting logged out) and others have had no problems with multiple people in your MDE friends and family group trying for a BG at the same time.

You need to be quick. BG fill up within a second or two. Though some days it has been longer. People ask if it's better to use WiFi or data? Whichever is fastest for your device is what you will want to use.

What if the attraction breaks down? The following is an account from @ocdb8r1
If you use the virtual queue and are evacuated from the line or the ride during a breakdown, you are given a multi-purpose ILL (like the old special Fastpass+ they would hand out for the same reasons). This is good for you to return to Guardians at any time it reopens during the day OR can be used on most other attractions with a LL in Epcot. Had this happen a couple of weeks ago and forgot to screenshot the ride options, but it included anything I could think even possibly useful (Frozen and Remy).

Last edited by a moderator:
TRON

Update:
Starting January 9, Guests will be able to join one attraction virtual queue at any theme park where they have valid admission. Guests may hold one attraction virtual queue at a time. Like today:

Select admission types may also require a theme park reservation to join a virtual queue.
Guests do not need to be inside a theme park to request to join the virtual queue at 7:00 AM.
Guests must be inside the theme park to request to join the virtual queue at 1:00 PM.

AP Guests do not require a park reservation on a 'Good to Go' day so are eligible to join a VQ without a park reservation on those days.

Tron Opening Day: April 4, 2023

*Please note that you need to return during your return window, or you may not be able to ride. (Including DAS). This has enforced since the soft opening for TRON*

Guests with an ADR during their return window may be allowed within a reasonable time after their window closes but it is at CM discretion and is not guaranteed.

Steps to get a BG for both GotG and TRON:
-At 6am, 12pm, or
5pm you can choose who will be in your BG from MDE
-The 2 most popular methods of getting a BG
1. Tap the 3 lines in MDE
2. Choose Virtual Queue
3. Choose your party
4. A couple minutes before 7am, 1pm, or 6pm tap the refresh button at the bottom of the page repeatedly. It will change to join at exactly 7am, 1pm, or ?.
5. Click Join
OR
4. Use Time.gov on a separate device and at 6:59:59 or 12:59:59, or 5:59:59 and click the button at the bottom
5. Follow any prompts.

—————————————————
**Tron for MNSSHP**
An opportunity to request to join the virtual queue will be available at 6:00 PM for Guests attending Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party. Guests will need to use the My Disney Experienceapp to enter this attraction. A standby queue for this attraction will not be available during the event. Each Guest can request to enter this virtual queue no more than once per event.

This is only available for Guests on the day of the event they are attending, and their specific event tickets must be linked to their My Disney Experience account in order to join the virtual queue. Guests attending this special ticketed event do not need to be in Magic Kingdom park to request to join at the time the queue becomes available.
—————————————————

From Disney’s Website
“Guests will need to use the My Disney Experience app to enter this attraction. A standby queue will not be available. Each Guest can request to enter this virtual queue no more than once per day during regular park hours.

Guests must have valid admission and a theme park reservation to join the virtual queue. An additional eligibility for summer 2023 is a 4Day/4 Park ticket will also qualify a guest to be eligible to try for a VQ even though they don’t have an actual park reservation.

There are 2 daily opportunities to request to join the virtual queue for TRON Lightcycle / Run:

• 7:00 AM (Guests do not need to be in the park when they join, but must have a theme park reservation for Magic Kingdom park)
  • 1:00 PM (Guests must be in Magic Kingdom park to join the virtual queue)
Extended Evening Theme Park Hours
An additional opportunity to request to join the virtual queue will be available at 6:00 PM on select dates during extended evening theme park hours––a benefit for registered Guests staying at a Disney Deluxe Resort, Disney Deluxe Villa Resort or other select hotels. Guests with this benefit do not need to be in Magic Kingdom park to request to join at that time.

These Guests will need valid admission and a theme park reservation for the same park on the same day to experience extended evening hours—or they may experience extended evening hours if they have a ticket or Annual Pass with the Park Hopper option and first enter the park for which they made their reservation.”

Note: 6PM VQ guests may be called to ride prior to EEH hours officially beginning.

Viewing VQ in MDE:
In the MDE app, in the 'Virtual Queue' area of the home page, guests can click 'Virtual Queue' and view which Boarding Groups are currently being called and from there, estimate when theirs might be called. At this time an anticipated return time is not being published.

While it changes daily, this screen shot can give an idea of possibly when you might anticipate being called. This is a 1 week snapshot in early June 2023 of when Tron VQ's were called.

1686164978079.png

Tron Soft Opening March 20 to April 2 used VQ:

9am to 3pm on April 2

*Please note: You MUST be ON TIME or you will not be permitted to ride!* (Including DAS)

Arriving on-time is expected to
continue to be enforced when TRON officially opens Apr 4, 2023.

💫VQ at both 7am and 1pm fills up in seconds💫

Access to the attraction will be via Virtual Queue.

VQ Drops will be at: (see steps to booking a VQ in post 1)
  • 7:00AM from anywhere. Guest must hold a MK park reservation for that day
  • 1:00PM for those who have tapped in to MK that day
Individual Lightning Lane (ILL$) will also be available to purchase: (Please the ILL$ thread for updates on price.)
  • 7:00AM for guests staying onsite
  • Park opening (if still available) for offsite guests.

Note: At this time Seven Dwarfs Mine Train will also be an ILL$ so MK will have 2 ILL$ available to purchase.

As with other VQ attractions, guests are able to get a VQ and ILL$ on the same day.

Thank you to @scrappinginontario for the information from your thread.

As of Jan 9, 2024:
1702938546684.png

Note the change that as of Jan 9, 2024 a guest may only hold one VQ at a time. While it's rare there have been times in the past when a guest was able to secure 2 VQs at the same time. That option is being removed.

ETA: Starting Jan 9, 2024

No Theme Park Reservation Required

Date-based 1-day ticket
Date-based multi-day ticket
Vacation package with date-based tickets

Theme Park Reservation Required

Student group tickets
Sport and Convention ticket
Disney Military Salute Ticket
Annual Pass
All other ticket types not mentioned above

Last edited by a moderator:
You may only get a BG on a day you have a Park Reservation for Epcot or during EEH.
(Please note, if you have a park reservation for a park other than Epcot the day of EEH, you need to tap into the first park at some point before entering Epcot.)
*With a hopper or AP if your starting park is not Epcot. You can't have a non-hopper ticket with a park reservation for MK, Studios, or AK and go to Epcot EEH.

You're welcome! I've seen some confusion about the EEH where some people didn't understand they had to be able to hop - that they couldn't do another park on a single-park ticket and show up at the gate with their Deluxe Hotel reservation and think that will get them in for EEH.
Do you know what time they can make their BG? Is it 6pm? I wasn’t sure so listed it with just a red question mark.

You may only get a BG on a day you have a Park Reservation for Epcot or during EEH.

Having a BG does not guarantee you'll get to ride.

The notification you receive will show your return window, it gives you an hour. However, to date, no one has reported being turned away for showing up late for a BG.

A few people have reported issues (using the same account, and one getting logged out) and others have had no problems with multiple people in your MDE friends and family group trying for a BG at the same time.

You need to be quick.
BG fill up within a second or two. Though some days it has been longer. People ask if it's better to use WiFi or data? Whichever is fastest for your device is what you will want to use.

There is an exception to the first red bolded line, and is related to the second.

The 7:00 BG drop does fill in seconds. The 1:00 drop generally does not. It pretty much always lasts minutes, and some days significantly more. And if it is still available after 2:00, those who park hop from another park can get it.

I was there 6/11, and had a park reservation for Animal Kingdom. I hopped to Epcot at 2:00, and BGs were still available. That day, they were available until 2:53. The next day, according to thrill-data, it was 3:41.

It isn't something anyone should count on, of course, because it doesn't happen every day. But the 1:00 drop is always much easier than the 7:00 one.

There is an exception to the first red bolded line, and is related to the second.

The 7:00 BG drop does fill in seconds. The 1:00 drop generally does not. It pretty much always lasts minutes, and some days significantly more. And if it is still available after 2:00, those who park hop from another park can get it.

I was there 6/11, and had a park reservation for Animal Kingdom. I hopped to Epcot at 2:00, and BGs were still available. That day, they were available until 2:53. The next day, according to thrill-data, it was 3:41.

It isn't something anyone should count on, of course, because it doesn't happen every day. But the 1:00 drop is always much easier than the 7:00 one.
That’s so good to know, thank you! I will edit my post soon.

My wife and I will be going to Epcot with a family member. We are annual pass holders whereas the family member just bought a ticket for the day.

We have made park reservations but they are separate since she just has a ticket for a day. Will I still be able to add her to our party for the virtual queue the morning of? She is listed under my family and friends in the Disney app

Thanks in advance

My wife and I will be going to Epcot with a family member. We are annual pass holders whereas the family member just bought a ticket for the day.

We have made park reservations but they are separate since she just has a ticket for a day. Will I still be able to add her to our party for the virtual queue the morning of? She is listed under my family and friends in the Disney app

Thanks in advance
I was able to join a boarding group using members from my friends and family list with mixture of AP and ticketed guests without issue.

How does a boarding group work at WDW?
Once you make one as explained how in the first post, and if you were successful, you can track how soon your group might be called by looking at your virtual queues in MDE. My BG was called an hour BEFORE expected! Some people have reported it taking longer.

If you have your MDE notifications turned on, you should get a message when your BG is called.

Once you make one as explained how in the first post, and if you were successful, you can track how soon your group might be called by looking at your virtual queues in MDE. My BG was called an hour BEFORE expected! Some people have reported it taking longer.

If you have your MDE notifications turned on, you should get a message when your BG is called.
So, once your BG is called you have to make your way over to the ride and get in line? How long would you then have to wait in line to ride?

So, once your BG is called you have to make your way over to the ride and get in line? How long would you then have to wait in line to ride?
It varies based on how many $ILL are sold since they get priority. My family waited about 20 minutes to get into the preshow.

The queue is interesting. Lots to see, especially for your first time in queue.

Is the 1pm drop the only one you need to have already tapped in for? We have hoppers and went to DHS this morning with our Park Pass for today. We have plans to go to Epcot tonight for Extended Evening Hours. I'm reading that we won't have to be tapped into Epcot for the 6pm drop, but can anyone confirm? If we do have to be in the park, we'll go over, if not we'll wait a bit closer to close to go in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter