Expected changes when cruises resume

I think in June that the N95 mask will be worn by everyone over 65 or any age with cancer, asma, respiratory, pregnancy, diabetes... which will be recommended by US. Until the vaccine is created/approved/manufactured. The CM’s will all have Disney N95 masks that will also be for sale at the gift shops.
then once the vaccine is available it will be a requirement for a CM to work but they will not wear masks anymore once vaccinated. The 5 minutes test will be given pass or fail prior to boarding, so might want to get insurance. They will phase out testing after less than a year after vaccine is developed.
Am I on the right track or crazy. Prolly cRazY.

I think in June that the N95 mask will be worn by everyone over 65 or any age with cancer, asma, respiratory, pregnancy, diabetes... which will be recommended by US. Until the vaccine is created/approved/manufactured. The CM’s will all have Disney N95 masks that will also be for sale at the gift shops.
then once the vaccine is available it will be a requirement for a CM to work but they will not wear masks anymore once vaccinated. The 5 minutes test will be given pass or fail prior to boarding, so might want to get insurance. They will phase out testing after less than a year after vaccine is developed.
Am I on the right track or crazy. Prolly cRazY.
Then they should start making those masks now to have them available for about 40-50% of the population?

I could see them definitely making the change so that people don't sit with strangers. I feel like many people want to sit alone before this happened so it was already heading in that direction.
I am in the camp that once this is all over seat me with as many “strangers” as possible. I want human interaction , conversation and a sense of community.

I could see them definitely making the change so that people don't sit with strangers. I feel like many people want to sit alone before this happened so it was already heading in that direction.
I am in the camp that once this is all over seat me with as many “strangers” as possible. I want human interaction , conversation and a sense of community.
People are quick to go back to their normal, if not bad, habits.
Remember the H1N1 Swine flu: https://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/guidelines_infection_control.htm
My recollection of that is that it was really cheap for us to actually travel to Mallorca Spain for a week. So my husband and our kids took off and enjoyed ourselves. A few months before that Spain/ Mallorca were hit with high cases. I remember we went to a family doctor and we all got a shot. So they must’ve had a vaccine really fast for that??. I do not recall though the big panic that this is right now but this is of course totally different.

I can't help wondering which cruise lines will still be around after the economy returns. When tourism was so bad after 9-11, American Hawaii cruise line went out of business. They were a small line -- I think they had two ships. One of them was the ship used for filming "An Affair to Remember." They were older ships, with unusually large staterooms. The plumbing belched at night. The food was great.

Anyway, NCL stock is in trouble, and so is Carnival which is the parent company of Princess and several others. Carnival is huge, but they may have to sell off some of their ships.

I think DCL will survive because the corporation is so large, but they may have to sell off some of their smaller companies, or even an older ship or two.

Then they should start making those masks now to have them available for about 40-50% of the population?
Well I’m thinking someone will get the contract. I don’t see Disney in the manufacturing side of N95 masks.

But I know I won’t get an inferior product. I will pay 3x the normal price of a mask and it will have a Disney design. The one I will want will sell out before I find out they are available. But I can still find it on eBay for 5x the price, and those too will sell out.
Also I contemplate if each person will get a new mask 😷 each evening(especially if that’s what CDC recommends). I suspect we will get a pirate one the evening before pirate night to wear the next day.

I think people will not share tables and that small temporary dividers will be up until the shot is available. But I’m up for other ideas as well. Staff will always wear a mask even if they have had the virus because someone is going to say they got the virus from that individual and try to sue Disney(you know it will happen)

Last edited:
I think DCL will survive because the corporation is so large, but they may have to sell off some of their smaller companies, or even an older ship or two.

If DCL wanted to raise a lot of cash right now during their down time, they could do that promotion where they drop the deposit down to 10% if they release the rest of their 2021 itineraries next month. I would be willing to book out a few more cruises if I didn't have to lock up so much cash with the 20% down. I can't be the only one. So with tens of thousands of people booking out 2021, that would be almost a 2 year interest free loan to them. I feel with the deposit lowered, more people than usual would put money down right now than normally would. Just saying.

Masks are only good if everyone wears one. Masks are for people that are sick so they don't infect others. A mask is not going to prevent you from getting the virus. You would need to wear goggles, mask gloves full PPE and change all that every time you come in contact with another human. In China everyone wears a mask so the infected people are not coughing and sneezing on the healthy people.

Masks are only good if everyone wears one. Masks are for people that are sick so they don't infect others. A mask is not going to prevent you from getting the virus. You would need to wear goggles, mask gloves full PPE and change all that every time you come in contact with another human. In China everyone wears a mask so the infected people are not coughing and sneezing on the healthy people.
I was thinking that just like a person whom is caught throwing trash off the side of the ship can be booted off; so could the person not wearing their mask. If you have a health condition where can not wear a mask you are offered a refund and never get on the ship.

I can see options for safe delivery of food but what about drinks at the pool?

I can see food service on the deck that includes a free drink. Then offering a large space between families. While masking is removed.

I think one of the other big changes you will see is not allowing you to use your own refillable cup the drink stations. When we cruised I watched someone dump their drink in the bottom it splashed all over and then refilled their cup just grossed me out. We had brought a bunch of bottled water on board so we were good with not going to the drink stations. Another thing I think that will change is how they handle refillable popcorn buckets. I also think they will be more diligent with sanitizing the pens.

Last year I was on a 12 day cruise on the Anthem of the Seas and the previous cruise had an outbreak of Norovirus which rolled over to my cruise. For the next week or so all library books and pamphlets in the cabin where removed and crew where everywhere constantly wiping down all surfaces and really pushing the hand sanitizer like I've never seen before. Now after the incubation period had passed the reading material returned and the crew where not pushing the hand sanitizer and no one to my knowledge ever contracted the Norovirus. I think some of the changes that will be in place after the Covid-19 passes might be similar to what I experienced on the Anthem with the crew consistently wiping down surfaces and pushing the hand washing. I also believe what some of you are saying might happen as well. I just want things to return to some kind of normality so I can get back to cruising. Be safe everyone.

Last edited:
Posted same in another thread:

I wonder if someone will make it mandatory or if cruise lines will voluntarily make changes to the A/C systems so they are more hygenic. If I recall, one of the problems on the current ships is that, unlike an airplane, the air just recirculates, which is a perfect storm for spreading an airborne virus. It may happen via drydocks, or it may become a condition of being allowed to sail from specific ports, but I bet something will have to happen and that's going to be a big expense.

After reading all these suggestions I don't see how a cruise line could survive. There isn't enough room in the dining room to have most families sit alone. And then you would be 4 inches away from each other on the deck chairs anyway. Spacing for shows, movies, and not touching characters, limiting pool capacity. They wouldn't be able to carry enough paying cruisers to pay the bills. How many are going to want to cruise with all those restrictions? Although having more space and a feeling of an empty ship would be nice.

I don't see cruising coming back until there is a vaccine widely available. Which cruise line will be the first to try to cruise when there are still cases of Covid-19 out there? Unvaccinated people on board is too much of a liability unless there's herd immunity.

For everyone here worried about sitting next to someone at dinner how are you planning to get to the ship? Seems like flying, buses and trains would be out along with showing up for your PAT. Not saying I'd jump on a cruise tomorrow but waiting for a vaccine also doesn't seem realistic.

No one will be wearing a mask while eating in the MDRs, where everyone is crowded together.
Well no of course that would not happen, masks must be removed and
distance must be observed. Which is why I mentioned that some meals would have to be served outside on the pool decking. An entire family at one table that you could take off your mask just as when you are in the cabins with your same family. By offering the outdoor seating and creating more distance that would lighten the cramped and tight spaces.
I’m pretty sure somebody can come up with a appealing schedule or incentive to have your family eat outside. If everyone gets a $25 ship Credit because they decide to eat outside.

After reading all these suggestions I don't see how a cruise line could survive. There isn't enough room in the dining room to have most families sit alone. And then you would be 4 inches away from each other on the deck chairs anyway. Spacing for shows, movies, and not touching characters, limiting pool capacity. They wouldn't be able to carry enough paying cruisers to pay the bills. How many are going to want to cruise with all those restrictions? Although having more space and a feeling of an empty ship would be nice.

I don't see cruising coming back until there is a vaccine widely available. Which cruise line will be the first to try to cruise when there are still cases of Covid-19 out there? Unvaccinated people on board is too much of a liability unless there's herd immunity.
If there were N95 masks then people should be able to be closer until dinner, then social distancing would need to Be in place.

If I have to wear a mask on a cruise, I'll stay home. I could probably tolerate some burka style of protection, but not something that completely obstructs your face and breathing and, well that's the point of the mask, right? They are terrible. I don't know how medical personnel live with them.

If I have to wear a mask on a cruise, I'll stay home. I could probably tolerate some burka style of protection, but not something that completely obstructs your face and breathing and, well that's the point of the mask, right? They are terrible. I don't know how medical personnel live with them.
Yep, it just wouldn’t work. Paper masks are not really designed to hold up in pools/aquaduck. Spa facials and rainforest room would not be mask-compatible either.

When they do resume cruises it’ll be at your own risk, but so will resuming work, crowded land activities (festivals, concerts etc), other travel and basically normal life. I think the hope is there will eventually be more herd immunity by late summer from people who recovered so it won’t be everyone getting sick all at once like it is now. But I don’t think cruising will really be safe for high risk individuals (eg over 70 or immune suppressed) until there is a vaccine.

I am anticipating a major increase in travel insurance which might be enough to offset any potential new offers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter