Expensive week for me for mobility

Cheshire Figment

<font color=red><marquee behavior=alternate>Friend
This week has been busy and expensive for me.

On Wednesday I traded my 1997 Taurus (with almost 179,000 miles on it) in on a 2008 Edge. It is much easier to get in and out of than the Taurus.

I ordered the Edge with a Class II trailer hitch, and yesterday got an external scooter lift installed in the hitch.

Since my ECV was bought used 3½ years ago and has its problems, and I don't have to worry about fitting the ECV in a trunk anymore, I also bought a brand new (red) Pride Celebrity-X three wheel ECV. (They are not available in green.)

Now all I have to do is the decorations. And maybe install red and blue flashing lights and a siren (or air horns) on the ECV, not the car.

You mean you didn't get a custom Mickey-head-Lime-green ECV?

I'm ready for a new car, and if my hip keeps getting worse I'll be looking for a car that's easier to get in and out of. Does yours have the power adjustable driver's seat? My old Caravan did, and it really helped my hip. My Pathfinder doesn't, and I have to add all kinds of odd cushions to support my hip.

Unfortunately the only two colors available were red and blue.

Since the seats are about a foot higher than in the Taurus, I can just sit in the seat and turn. To get out I just turn and slide out to stand up instead of having to lift myself up. It comes standard with a 6-way power seat and a tilt/telescope steering wheel. I got the SEL, which is the middle level of the three choices, and it was special ordered for me.

Wow! Busy, expensive and exciting!!! Congratulations on getting all decked out!

Unfortunately the only two colors available were red and blue.

Since the seats are about a foot higher than in the Taurus, I can just sit in the seat and turn. To get out I just turn and slide out to stand up instead of having to lift myself up. It comes standard with a 6-way power seat and a tilt/telescope steering wheel. I got the SEL, which is the middle level of the three choices, and it was special ordered for me.

Sounds like the new car will be a lot easier and quicker to get in and out of.:goodvibes Enjoy your new ride!

Not sure if you saw my update but I put a deposit on a used scooter yesterday (Rascal Fold and Go 370) and will hopefully be getting it next week.

Last night DH had to go to the auto parts store and I started looking around. OMG!!! There is so much cool stuff in there to Pimp My Scooter! There were some way cool LED lights that stick on some cool horns and DH said he thinks he can put an aux power thing (cigarette lighter) so I can charge my cell phone!! Yep, DH is an Engineer and a car guy!! He has also offered to paint it what ever color I want--it is currently beige and rather banged up. Sorry, I am leaning toward a glittery red or pink, but they did have a lime green color!

I told him I wanted a fake car alarm so that when I get up and take the key I can hit the button and have it make that "chirp" like I am locking it. :rotfl2: Oh, and apparently they don't make spinner wheels for scooters :( If I have to have a scooter, I at least want to have fun with it!

Sounds like it was time for you to make the upgrade Cheshire. I am certainly learning that anything that makes it easier and less painful is worth it.

By the way, I will be in Disney in a month and I keep meaning to PM you about where you will be so I can stop by and say "Hi".

Wow; sweet; when do we get pics? I have to admit, I completely deluded myself on the whole "I can handle it" mobility thing. Took the kids bowling and mini golfing yesterday and then tried to go to the rodeo today (Obviously, I am a closet masochist.) Anyway, could hardly walk from the h/a parking to the entrance, and was wondering how I was gonna make it when...(cue heavenly music)I saw the most beautiful thing! A scooter rental booth (thought it was a mirage at first, since it hadn't been there previous years.) Argued w/ DH about it, finally broke down and OMG, what a difference; I even volunteered to get drinks, check show times, etc. and my kids DD8 and DS5 commented on how nice Mommy was (definitely made me think) Anyway, I am now officially in the market for a scooter (and voraciously reading old posts on the subject. ) Actually rode a celebrity today-veerrryy nice. As soon as I figure out how to keep my kids away from it I'll have to get one...

Re: cars, I have a KIA Sedona; now, I admit it's not cool, but the seat is at the hight of my hips anyway, so it's just slide in slide out; way easier than trying to get into my husbands very tall truck.

Sorry to go so long, Congratulations again!
Nicole:dance3:

:idea: I wonder if an auto body shop could paint the panels? It'd be a shame to blend w/ the crowd when you could show your true (dis) colors!

Congrats on the new scooters everyone !!:banana:

Cheshire, I got a Celebrity-X also. It is probably my favorite, you will enjoy it.

Thanks for the information about getting a class II hitch. Right now I am breaking it down to transport it because the place that installs lifts here keeps telling me it needs a class III hitch, and I can't put that on an Impala. I guess I need to to some more reasearch.

:moped: :moped: :moped: :moped: :moped: :moped: :moped: :moped:

Thanks for the information about getting a class II hitch. Right now I am breaking it down to transport it because the place that installs lifts here keeps telling me it needs a class III hitch, and I can't put that on an Impala. I guess I need to to some more research.
Several things need to be considered. Normally the maximum tongue weight allowed is 10% of the towing capacity. The Edge, being an crossover SUV has a towing capacity of 3,500 pounds and a maximum tongue weight of 350 pounds. The Celebrity X (including batteries), the lift, and the swing-away attachment come to 328.5 pounds, so it is within allowable limits.

The Harmar AL-100 lift (which I got) as well as several others by Harmar, Bruno and Silver Star (which is Pride) all state in their literature that they can accept either Class 2 or Class 3 hitches. Silver Star does say that the capacity limit for a couple of their lifts is 190 for Class 2 but 325 pounds for Class 3.

Since I ordered the Edge with the Tow Package the hitch was factory installed, along with some upgrades to the suspension, electrical and cooling systems. My mobility dealer said that the capacity is actually higher for factory installed hitches rather than aftermarket.

I had been looking into a sedan, but for example the Chrysler 300 and Dodge Charger both showed tow capacities of 2,000 pounds which would not have been sufficient (or even close).

And the swing away is really a necessity; without it the mechanism is so close to the body that I would not be able to open the back to put stuff inside.

It sounds like lovetoscrap is having fun. My dad had a semi truck air horn on his pick up truck. It would be tempting to put one on an ECV. That or one of them alerts that garbage truck make when they are backing up. I would like to see pictures when you are done decking out the ECV.

OH HECK NO mechurchlady! I told DH that if the scooter came with one of those back up beeps like they have on the ones in Walmart and Target he would be performing a beepectomy on it!!! I hate those! :lmao: My personal rear end is large enough, I don't need a back up beeper on it too! ;)

But we did find a horn at the Auto store that makes and old fashioned car horn sound--imagnine that old " Aaah OOOOOO Gaa ". Totally Cool! :thumbsup2 I am now leaning towards just a regular bike bell though, thinking that would be kind of fun!

(Sorry CF, didn't mean to hijack your thread. )

Back on topic

We were trying to figure out about the lifts and hitches and all that too in case it came to that for the minivan. We were relieved to be able to find something that I can still lift into the van. We were concerned about how we would be able to attach something to the back but still be able to lift the back of the van up when I needed to, which I have to do often?

I didn't have much chance to respond to anything on this part of the board this weekend, so I'm trying to catch up.
CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR NEW WAYS TO GET AROUND!!!:wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:

Sounds like they will make things a lot easier for you (and look pretty stylish too;) )

We were trying to figure out about the lifts and hitches and all that too in case it came to that for the minivan. We were relieved to be able to find something that I can still lift into the van. We were concerned about how we would be able to attach something to the back but still be able to lift the back of the van up when I needed to, which I have to do often?

The Swingaway is fairly simple. It has a locking pin and a pull-lever. It will swing the entire lift and mechanism out 90 degrees so there is full access to the lift gate or trunk.

HOWEVER, it should not be used when the ECV is on it; the lift must be empty or things can break.

I didn't have much chance to respond to anything on this part of the board this weekend, so I'm trying to catch up.
CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR NEW WAYS TO GET AROUND!!!:wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:

Sounds like they will make things a lot easier for you (and look pretty stylish too;) )
Thank you, I may even post a picture.

Sounds like you will all have lots of fun with your new equipment! :cool1:

I am jumping over here from my own post about lifts.

Cheshire Figment, I can't do an outside lift due to our rotten climate here in the Cleveland area. Even if it is dry the ground often has snow or rain on it and would splash up on the underside of the scooter. I am looking at a lift to put the scooter in the back. I spoke with 3 different dealers yesterday and they are all so different. The most informed/informing suggested the one I thought might work..the Harmar AL065. It mounts to a class 2 or 3 hitch and the motor part removes after you move the scooter in or out. I plan to go look at one on Friday to see if I can lift it okay.

My Pacesaver Leisurelift Espree Atlas scooter weighs 178 pounds and this will hold 200 pounds. The installer I spoke with said they sell a lot of them but I have never noticed any around. I just want something I can use on my own as right now I have to have someone with me to help me with the scooter.

I think I like this lift better than the ones mounted inside the van because it doesn't interfere with use of the 3rd row seats and doesn't put a bunch of bolts into the fabric.

These decisions are so hard to make.

I know what you mean about getting in/out of a car vs. a van or suv. It is so much harder to have to lift and then push off. I like sliding off the van seat. I also find sitting in the van is much easier on my knees as my legs sit below my knees and not out in front.

Cheshire---hope you got VR to help with the hitch and lift since you're working. I also hope your insurance or VR purchased the new scooter for you as you deserve that vs. paying OOP. I'm still waiting to get a new van and am pretty discouraged. Mine had the brakes go out totally at Christmas, almost killing Skye, my son, and myself. If not for being in a parking lot and my van stopping by hitting a curb, I'd not be here today. Then the fuel pump had to be replaced, now it's leaking coolant and needs to be refilled daily. This on top of the engine leak, slipping transmission, no heat, windows don't work. For those of us who must purchase a specific vehicle you all know what those costs are and how hard it is on a limited paycheck to get your needs met. And all I want to do is keep working!---Kathy

Cheshire---hope you got VR to help with the hitch and lift since you're working. I also hope your insurance or VR purchased the new scooter for you as you deserve that vs. paying OOP. I'm still waiting to get a new van and am pretty discouraged. Mine had the brakes go out totally at Christmas, almost killing Skye, my son, and myself. If not for being in a parking lot and my van stopping by hitting a curb, I'd not be here today. Then the fuel pump had to be replaced, now it's leaking coolant and needs to be refilled daily. This on top of the engine leak, slipping transmission, no heat, windows don't work. For those of us who must purchase a specific vehicle you all know what those costs are and how hard it is on a limited paycheck to get your needs met. And all I want to do is keep working!---Kathy

I don't know what it is like around you but I was looking for scooters on craigslist and there were numerous used HC modified vans listed with different features. I have no idea what the condition of them or the price comparison was but you might just give it a look see to see if there would be something listed that would at least be in better condition than what you have.

And if you have the ability to travel out of your area somewhat you can check Craigslist postings for surrounding areas for as far as you are willing to travel.

Just a thought of somewhere to check.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter