Experienced cruising during hurricane?

I sailed on the Dream during Hurricane Ian last October~
It was a 5 night cruise out of Miami with 2 stops at Castaway Cay and a stop at Nassau.
It rained sailing out of Miami, and rained during one of our Castaway Cay stops. We had our itinerary altered, changed around Nassau day and were not able to dock for the second time at Castaway Cay.
It did rain intermittently throughout the cruise but they tried really hard to sail into good weather and find sun. The waters were relatively calm except the last night, it was pretty rocky sailing back to Miami. DCL was amazing at navigating through the storm both literally and figuratively!
A lot of people had flights from Miami cancelled and scrambled to find other flights and alternate ways home.
Some passengers were on the cruise for safety away from the hurricane and some dealt with some devastation. It felt like so many came together to support each other.
It was such a unique experience and honestly one of my favorite cruises. ( Just turned Platinum) It was a Halloween cruise and it was a lot of fun~ when the itinerary changed, they added a lot of activities as well.
I would not hesitate to sail during hurricane season again, I trust that DCL will make good decisions in sailing, not sailing/alter when need be.
Sandy was a whole different league of a storm, so not typical. There is always a risk of an anomaly of storms, etc. which encompasses all travel.
Cruising in October is really nice in general~ just make sure to have insurance and know that things don't always go as planned. :)
We had a B2B on the Dream that was like that. One of our CCay stops was cancelled. Still, a great cruise.

Our itinerary is a 6 night that goes to castaway and lighthouse only. I wonder where they could reroute if needed.. do you think they can do an eastern or western with just 6 nights?
They occasionally schedule 6 night Western cruises from Port Canaveral on the Fantasy. Here's a link to one in 2024
https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/...rom-Port-Canaveral/2024-08-04-Disney-Fantasy/ I wasn't able to find a 6 night Eastern when I did a quick search so I don't know if they do them or not.

My cruise in 2012 was the "Hurricane Sandy" cruise. We wound up not stopping at Castaway Cay, plus the last night was extremely choppy. Didn't stop me sailing in the fall though (9 of my 11 cruises have fallen during hurricane season)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter