Experiences with Delta Airlines?

Simba's Mom

<font color=green>everything went to "H*** in a ha
We've never flown Delta, but we just found that we could save over $100 by driving a little further and using them. How has anyone's experiences been? Would you recommend them?

I flew Delta 3 years ago and had no problems! Actually I really liked them and would fly them again without hesitation. Of course anything can change in 3 yrs. Maybe someone who has flown more recently can give you more info.

We flew with them over Christmas out to Las Vegas. Had no problems and good flights. Our 2 DS first time on an airplane and everything went smoothly.

They are one of the major airlines into Orlando so they have lots of flights. The only downside is going thru Atlanta. I always make my connection, but I don't really like it!

I would probably fly them to save the money, but I wasn't very thrilled with the one experience we had with them. We normally fly American, ATA, or United, but we booked our flights through Disney Cruise Line for a last minute trip, and they put us on connecting Delta flights. I called immediately for seat assignments and got them (or so I thought). I do this all the time with the other airlines and never had a problem, but when we got to the airport, Delta had no record of them. They were able to straighten it out for all of our flights but one...since we were running late, the agent told me I should be able to strighten it out in Orlando on the way home. I went to the Customer "Service" counter and encountered a male Middle Eastern agent who was VERY offended that I dared to be the one dealing with him while my husband stood aside. He called me a liar and said that he would not speak to me. Then, when I wrote down his name so I could go get a supervisor, he literally started yelling at me! Thankfully, the supervisor was able to straighten things out (he also admitted that the problem was, indeed, Delta's error and even explained how it happened). The flights themelves were fine, but being yelled at and called a liar, not to mention being looked down on for being an assertive woman, left a very bad taste in my mouth about their customer service.
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.castawayclub.copm

Actually the problem ones are the only ones I rant about, but they are the minority...
Out of 19 Disney cruises since 1998 (most in the winter), we have never had a major delay or other big problem that caused us to be late for the ship. Our WDW trips have been smooth too, although those are spread out over the course of more years.
Of course, I COULD tell you about the time a family took our luggage from the cruise terminal and brought it home with them to Ohio (on the same cruise where my kneecap popped off)...but nah, that's a story for another time.;) :smooth: ;)
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.castawayclub.com

We just flew Delta in January and had great flights both ways. We flew out of Indianapolis non-stop to Orlando. I really liked the flight attendants. They were "older", my age, mid 40's and very down to earth. I told them I was a little nervous and they were so nice to me. DH always flies Delta and has never had a problem.

inkkognito,
LOL!!!
I do like Delta and have never had a problem with them. I now fly mostly SWA because their fares are so reasonable, however, Delta is always in the top two.

I LOVE Delta!!!!! Delta is the only airline I fly. Their customer service has always been top notch. Even when a flight was cancelled due to a mechanical (we were in Ireland) and had a horrible experience with Delta's conctracted agents there, Delta took great care of us when we returned. In fact, they paid for our airfare to DL last year (through the vouchers we received) and we received a letter of apology and extra FF miles.

Their flight staff and ticket agents are so professional (of course there can always be one bad apple or one good apple having a bad day, after allwe are all human).

I'm not a huge fan of Delta. Used to fly them all the time, but lately I am not thrilled with their service and general way of dealing with customers. I flew them last year with a 2 year old, 8 year old and 11 year old. My daughter (2) had a car seat and they refused to preboard people with small children. When I asked the customer service agent why he snapped at me"We have NOT been preboarding children in over three years" like I was stupid not to know that. Personally I think it is stupid not to because it just delays everyone from getting on the plane. If they let me on five minutes early (and seats are assigned anyway) I would have her seat strapped in and everyone seated by the time the other passangers boarded. BUT, since I could not preboard there I was with three kids standing in the aisles trying to strap a carseat into the planes seat while others waited. (yes, I could have waited until everyone was on the plane and seated but with three kids, a diaper bag, etc. I needed to secure my carryons in my immediate overhead bin) I just think it is penny wise and pound foolish not to preboard those with small children.

lookingforward,
I was thinking when I read your post that you should meet my aunt. She will NOT preboard with her small children. As a matter of fact she waits until the 10 or 20 minute warning. As she says who wants to have to strap your kids down. Now her kids are great and sit quitely on the plane and are VERY well behaved. She likes to let them walk around as long as possible before the plane. I guess to each their own.

Carol-I would prefer to do that also, but I never find any storage space near my seat when I do get on last, and when I am just traveling with my daughter and her car seat they always require her to be near the window, which puts me in the middle seat. Then I am having to lean over the person on the aisle seat to strap her seat in. I just find it very cumbersome. I think because she is still so small it is just easier to get on board and get organized. When we lived in Japan I would make long, long, LONG, trips with an infant and a toddler. It was very comforting to be sitting and organized while the rest of the plane got onboard. I think definately when my little one is older and can travel lighter (no car seat/no diaper bag) and can move quickly your aunts preferred method will be mine too!

We've flown Delta to Orlando 5 times in the last 5 years. Would highly recommend them.

I flew Delta a couple years ago to Los Angeles, CA via Cincinnati (outbound) and Atlanta (inbound). We had no problems at all, the flights (all 4) were ontime (except leaving ATL, there was a delay since we were blocked in the gate, but we did have an ontime arrival). The planes themselves were fine, Douglas MD-88's and Boeing 767-200's. I did find the MD-88's to be a little tight, though.

Don't worry about flying Delta, I'm sure you'll have a wonderful trip!

If they don't let you pre-board, don't sweat it. I didn't say dilly dally but you don't have to rush geting the kids settled.

If they find that not pre-boarding the children takes longer they will go back to pre-boarding them.

Not pre-boarding the kids makes it easier for the biztravelers in that they can wait in their seats for the kids to be settled as opposed to wait standing in the jetway.

Disney hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

We've flown Delta to MCO several times with no problems and we'll be using them again next month. I like the direct flight from Hartford to Orlando.

We did have a big problem with Delta flying to Hawaii a year and a half ago - the same problem as Inkkognito - calling months ahead to get seat assignments...only to find out days before the flight that we had no seats at all! The customer service rep had the nerve to imply that I was making seats up - and at first telling me that she could not guarantee two seats together (a 9+ hr flight from Atlanta to Honolulu not being able to sit with DH - not to mention the cost of the trip - thru Delta Vacations!!) To say I was upset is an understatement. We ended up okay - but had to wait until we were actually at the gate in Atlanta (leg two of the flight) to see if DH and I could sit together! So much for the start of a relaxing vacation! I sent an email to Delta after the trip and they gave me extra skymiles for our trouble. I'd probably think twice with a long trip (only because of our experience), but the direct flight for us to Orlando isn't a problem.

Tigger 22

We have been flying Delta the last couple of years without any problems. In our area, it is generally Continental and Delta that have the most flights to Orlando, and Continental is always more expensive for us on the dates we want to fly. I'm not willing to fly Spirit Airlines, or go to JFK for JetBlue or AA, so Delta it is for us. They are a pretty reputable airline, and you shouldn't have any problems with them!:)

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

We just flew Delta on 2/9 and 2/16 -MKE to MCO and back. No complaints, we connected in Atlanta with no problem. Everyone we dealt with was great. I would fly them again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter