Express Pass in mid-December?

staceychev

Mouseketeer
We're looking to go December 14th and 15th, which is a Friday and Saturday. Our primary focus will be Wizarding World, although we'll enjoy exploring the rest of the parks. (That being said, my kid who likes roller coasters is only 49", and the one who is tall enough won't go on them - so rides like Spider Man and the Hulk aren't on our itinerary!) Undercover Tourist puts both days as yellow for its crowd calendar. Do you think we can get away without the expensive Express Passes? We'll be staying on site, so we'll get early entry.

Thanks!
Stacey

You should be fine without EP. EE is really only for the HP area so you will enjoy lighter crowds in those areas during that time.

But, If you book in one of the deluxe hotels for 1 night, you will get two days of express pass. And while not necessary, it is just so nice when you have it.

As for the crowd calendar, they are only guessing. It depends on who actually goes those days.

Thanks, Skylock! I'm feeling more confident with your reply. And sadly, a deluxe hotel isn't in the cards for this trip, even for just one night. I've got credits with Expedia, so we're trying to max those out, and I don't think we can do multiple hotels when we book the flight/hotel combo with them.

Not sure if you meant a different ride, but Spiderman is not a coaster and has a 40" requirement. Shouldn't be a problem for tentative riders.

If you download the Universal App, you will be able to see wait times, plus show times, and get virtual line return times for the rides that use that system.

Capslock- yeah, I'm confusing rides. I haven't been to universal since I was a high school teacher chaperoning senior trips. I think the last one I went on was in 2012.

Be aware that this is the weekend of the Orlando Informer Meet Up. They have both parks booked for a private event on Saturday night. This may affect crowds and parks will close earlier on Saturday.

Tinknalli, I am glad you added that info as it could have an effect on the crowds

OP: My husband and I are going on December 17th, a Monday. We always get the EP's. The lines for Minions and Shrek, for example, were very long the last time we went in February. I figure that being that close to Christmas, the lines will be long then too? We only have one day and don't want to wait in lines but that is just us:) Personally, we wouldn't go to Universal with out them.

Edit: We are rethinking EP's for the 17th and might change our minds depending on advice I've asked for on this site.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter