Extreme Makeover Home Edition

Boo Bear

DIS Veteran
I don't know where to put this.... I'm watching the new one right now bawling my eyes out, but I wanted to mention the feelings I get when I see the families find out they're going to Disney World for their vacation. I think there is something so wonderful about the sparkle in people's eyes when they find out they're going to WDW for a week while they're getting a new house. This family I'm watching right now lost their house in a fire, the shortly after the dad was taking the kids to swim at a lake and he drowned and the oldest brother died trying to save him. Disney is a great heart warmer when life happens. :goodvibes

Last week's show was a real tear jerker as well. The father wanted his adopted kids and wife to be taken care of and their home was in need of lots of repairs. He died like three days after they got their new home.

Last week's show was a real tear jerker as well. The father wanted his adopted kids and wife to be taken care of and their home was in need of lots of repairs. He died like three days after they got their new home.

Thats why I try not to take my love ones for granted. Especially now that I'm getting ready to move 2000 + miles away from all of them. How sad!:guilty:

I saw that one. My DH and I were both just a bawling sitting on the couch. I just love this show and what they do for people. Plus seeing all this makes your own troubles seem not so bad. Puts things in perspective.

When we were there last Sept.08 we met Michael Mulroney from Extreme Home Makeover.

Me and two of my DD's went on TT in Epcot. My other DD (afraid) and DH waited at the exit. When we got off, DH told me someone from Extreme Makeover was there!!!

I was like where and dashed to see...as luck would have it...it was POURING out, it was leftovers from one of the many Hurricanes I forget, it was the one that hit Texas early Sept.???

Anyhoo we waited under the overhang of the TT exit with him. I did get a pic with him. He had on a hard hat with mickey ears:dance3: it was really cool and I love the show. His designs are to die for!!!

Just thought I would share, when I saw the thread. Thought maybe someone else had been there too.

When we were there last Sept.08 we met Michael Mulroney from Extreme Home Makeover.

Me and two of my DD's went on TT in Epcot. My other DD (afraid) and DH waited at the exit. When we got off, DH told me someone from Extreme Makeover was there!!!

I was like where and dashed to see...as luck would have it...it was POURING out, it was leftovers from one of the many Hurricanes I forget, it was the one that hit Texas early Sept.???

Anyhoo we waited under the overhang of the TT exit with him. I did get a pic with him. He had on a hard hat with mickey ears:dance3: it was really cool and I love the show. His designs are to die for!!!

Just thought I would share, when I saw the thread. Thought maybe someone else had been there too.

Wow great story! That's so awesome... he seems really cool.

I love these stories too! And I was fortunate enough to work about 5 minutes away from a EMHE site last year.

This was the King family - they provide childcare to families who can't afford it, and they offer it all times of the day, even overnight if needed. They really dedicated their LIVES to their community, so I was glad to see them get a great new house to suit needs, without threat of having to shut down because of mold and mildew issues.

I had to reminisce when I saw this post, so I thought I'd share some pics with fellow DIS EMHE fans.

We have Ed Sanders overlooking the work...
EMHE-Day3-EdLookingOverWork.jpg

And Michael Maloney & Didiayer Snyder were very friendly with us spectators. They kept busy, but they really went out of their way to greet us!
EMHE-Day3-MichaelMoloney.jpg

EMHE-Day2-DidiayerSnyder.jpg

Rick Merlini was the builder, and has done a few EMHE houses. He was really a stand-up guy. He and his son came out to give water to the crowds.
EMHE-Reveal-RickHandingOutWater.jpg

It was an extremely hot reveal day... I counted at least 4 people that passed out. Emergency crews stood by and responded quickly each time.

Of course, there was also Ty... he was VERY hard to keep up with! The camera crew was always running BEHIND him... couldn't keep up! :lmao:
EMHE-Day4-Ty2.jpg

EMHE-Reveal-TyRunning.jpg

And the thrill of the family in the end...

EMHE-Reveal-FamilyWaving.jpg

It struck me when I watched the oldest son... he kept walking around staring at even the garage doors in awe!

Ooh... I get goosebumps just thinking about it all! :goodvibes

Such good people on this show! It's rare to have such quality programming on TV this days... know what I mean?

I remember the excitement in Charlotte for the King family & also remember that it was a VERY hot week when EMHE was here building. I don't live in Charlotte, but I really wanted to volunteer. Because of the heat, I couldn't even attempt to (I get VERY sick in hot weather).

I love EMHE and usually cry at least once per episode!
;)

It usually is on while I am at the gym and I am working out and crying at the same time!!! I can't help it they are always so touching stories.

Well they have a great July week here in Beavercreek Ohio (near Dayton) for their current build. Temperatures have been fairly cool, hope it stays that way for the build. Today was the "door knock" day and all the local TV crews were stalking the EMOHE crew.

I don't know where to put this.... I'm watching the new one right now bawling my eyes out, but I wanted to mention the feelings I get when I see the families find out they're going to Disney World for their vacation. I think there is something so wonderful about the sparkle in people's eyes when they find out they're going to WDW for a week while they're getting a new house. This family I'm watching right now lost their house in a fire, the shortly after the dad was taking the kids to swim at a lake and he drowned and the oldest brother died trying to save him. Disney is a great heart warmer when life happens. :goodvibes

I hate those shows...I always cry :rotfl: what people go thru sometimes is absolutely horrible. Really brings up some peace and joy when you know you are doing a family so much good.

Thanks for sharing :goodvibes

What I found interesting when they were in our area (show to air on 11/8) was that they are usually working on more than one house at a time. They also had a home build happening in Wisconsin or Minnesota at the same time. Ty and the designers would fly back and forth to each site to tape their segments. They don't really do as much work as it looks like on the show.

What I found interesting when they were in our area (show to air on 11/8) was that they are usually working on more than one house at a time. They also had a home build happening in Wisconsin or Minnesota at the same time. Ty and the designers would fly back and forth to each site to tape their segments. They don't really do as much work as it looks like on the show.

Actually, on the Charlotte episode, Ty was hardly there... came for demo, left for another project, came back for a little bit of construction/project work at the end of the week, and obviously for the reveal. If you actually look at all the designers involved, there's was one team in Charlotte, and a completely different team on the simultaneous project. We had Ed, Didi, Rib, and Michael working in Charlotte basically the whole time... and they were working hard! When I saw the episode of the other project, it was entirely the other designers, like Paul, Paige, and a few others. I think they mix up the teams a bit at other times, so they make a nice illusion that it's basically the same team all the time, but it really isn't... I never really sat back to count until I finally checked the bios online. There are quite a few designers that work on the show!

Little side note... I was shopping the other day, and I saw a mother with her little girl. I looked at them and thought I've seen them before... and I knew I'd seen them together... it wasn't like a church, work, or school connection, so I couldn't place them... until it suddenly hit me the next day - it was Alicia King and her daughter who had their house made over by EMHE! I wish I had realized it at first - I would have loved to have said "hi!"

I cry too every time I watch this show. And when they mention to the families that they are going to WDW for their trip... the tears just seem to flow more.

What I would do to have EMHE re-do my house. Unfortunately, it's a half a double... don't think they would consider doing those type of homes. I believe it has to be a single home.

I love that they are helping people whom have had tragedies in their life, but sometimes, those that are picked.. I feel that their are others who are less fortunate out there who could use the help and that "they" shouldn't have been so lucky to be chosen. Not all of us have had a severe tragedy happen, like loosing a loved one. Some of us have just lost our jobs and thanks to the economy have not been able to find another. My husband was working up until I gave birth to our daughter last year... he had made arrangements with his job to take time off so he could be home for the birth of his daughter. When he returned to work, they fired him for doing so. He followed their rules that were set forth prior to the delivery, such as he was able to take off as long as it was consecutive days, and he had to call for each day he was off. We tried to fight it by going to a lawyer, but Pa has a "release a worker for no reason" rule... they can let an employee go whenever they choose. He wasn't with the company long enough to qualify for the Family Medical Leave Act, so we were SOL. Since his release.. he has been seeing doctor's because he's put on weight and isn't moving around as much. All his life he's suffered pain in his lower back, hip and left leg. No one could tell him what was wrong, so he just learned to deal with it. Now the pain is excruciating at times, he even drops to the floor and cries! Due to this issue now, he is unable to work, as he attends therapy three times a week. No job will take him knowing his medical condition.

My son has ADHD and ODD... and my Daughter was born with a club foot. Life is tough, we reside at the moment off 800 a month in unemployment. If it wasn't for welfare (not that I like to brag about this) we wouldn't be able to afford to eat. The house we reside in is in dire need of structural repairs/finishing and we can't afford to do so. The gentleman we bought it from signed the house over into our name and is holding the mortgage for us. We have not been able to pay him since June of 2009. He's been awesome and understanding and he said he will not kick us out!

Yes, I have a trip "planned" for 2011, doesn't mean that we are definitely going. I'm hoping this up coming year, things will start looking up for us and we can afford to go. I finish with college in July/August and hope to find a job after in the field I will hold a degree for (Medical Office Management). My graduation takes place in Miami, Fl.. hence the reason for the trip to Disney after-wards.

I love EMHE, but sometimes wish they would choose a family who simply can't afford to fix their home, and not always one who's had a horrible tragedy... not saying they don't deserve it, just....makes those of us less fortunate feel even more down and out about their lives.

(sorry for such a long story, just needed to share)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter