Family of boy killed on bike at FW suing WDW

stacktester

DIS Veteran
I'm sure it's no surprise but the family of the boy killed by the bus is suing Disney. They say they've had the accident reconstructed and don't agree with the FHP findings. I wonder how they reconstructed it. I can't see Disney letting these clowns in.

I feel bad for the little boy, but 1st of all his parents should have been with him. I think these people are dreaming if they think a jury will award them a fortune.

I guess the laws of physics do not apply in their world. I feel very sorry for their family. I feel just as sorry for the bus driver. I hope this is not someone who has talked a grieving family into this. What a horrible tragedy and now everyone gets to relive it again.:confused:

Very tragic, but I don't see how the bus driver could be at fault. People get so excited about being at WDW, they forget that the same safety rules apply. We've had many a close call b/c parents let their kids go freely w/out watching them.

Very tragic, but I don't see how the bus driver could be at fault. People get so excited about being at WDW, they forget that the same safety rules apply. We've had many a close call b/c parents let their kids go freely w/out watching them.

They are suing the driver as well saying he didn't take rest breaks and the bus wasn't properly maintained. Maybe Magicbus can supply some Maintenance info but I'm sure whatever needs to be done the buses get it and probably more.

The bike had a flat tire and shouldn't have been ridden to begin with. I'm sure a lawyer somewhere tonight is licking his chops.

They are suing the driver as well saying he didn't take rest breaks and the bus wasn't properly maintained. Maybe Magicbus can supply some Maintenance info but I'm sure whatever needs to be done the buses get it and probably more.

The bike had a flat tire and shouldn't have been ridden to begin with. I'm sure a lawyer somewhere tonight is licking his chops.

I have a hard time believing that a WDW bus isn't properly maintained. As far as the rest breaks go....unless the driver made a serious, mistake due to a lack of rest, that dog won't run either. Just my opinion. I do feel terrible for that family. I don't know if i could go on if it were one of my children.....

Unfortunately the family is probably taking their guilt and anger out on Disney. I'm sure everytime the word Disney pops up the sleezebag lawyers saliva drips from their mouths. IMO Disney caves in too easily and gives people $$$$ to go away. The best example was when that kid at DHS tried to tear the Tigger head off and the CM in costume jerked away and his hand hits the kid. At first the kid was like uh oh and his dad was even in his face but once they realized he had hit him you could see the looks on both their faces like MUNNNNNEY.

I can't think of another cg where a bus runs through like here but what is Disney supposed to do? Put a handrailing up along the road so you don't have to watch your kid and let them be supervised by an 11 y/o?

Like Kim said, how can you go on? It is a tragedy that has ruined a family and the drivers lives.

That poor family went to Disneyworld expecting to make wonderful memories and have a great time together. They went home CHILDLESS. I think at this point the suit is about getting Disney to stop denying any responsibility for the accident; and to require Disney to at least take some small preventitive measure (ex. a guard rail) along that tricky stretch on the bike path in their child's memory.
Were the parents neglectful? Perhaps. However, at Ft Wilderness it's easy to get swept up in the feeling that you are in a very special, safe, child santuary where everyone is safe and having fun. And the little boy was't that young... Alot of people regularly let younger children ride their bikes around with friends/cousins at Ft Wilderness.
So I think it's mean to be bashing these parents. They've been hurt enough already. Whatever Disney ends up giving them is nothing compared to what they've lost. I think Disney should show a bit of compassion now and then instead of hiding behind their large team of attorneys when they're right and when their wrong.

You had to know this was coming. The parents are angry. When you lose someone in an accident, that's what happens, and you need someone or something to direct your anger at. Did lawyers pursue them? Maybe. However - society is saturated with TV and radio ads telling us to call 1-800-Sue the Bums and get your just rewards. There was once a time when it was illegal for attorneys to advertise, except for their one line listing in the yellow pages. We need to go back to those days. It's never going to happen because all our gov't officials are.....lawyers!!

This particular case is one where no one is at fault. That's why it is called an accident. Was this kid too young to be riding his bike around the Fort? I don't think 9 is too young. And a 9 year old is too keyed up with excitement to be bothered to tell his dad his tire is flat. He wants to burn some trails!

What this mom & dad are probably not realizing (and the money grubbing lawyer won't advise them on) is this.... They are going to be reliving their son's death over, and over, and over in court preparation and actual courtroom time until it consumes their souls. The money they are awarded (and they will get awarded something) is never going to heal that wound and by pursuing this lawsuit, they won't see any peace for years to come - if ever.

My heart goes out to this family for thinking that by suing Disney, it's going to make things better. It won't. I pray for peace for these parents. They have endured something horrible - regardless of whose fault anyone thinks it is.

They are suing the driver as well saying he didn't take rest breaks and the bus wasn't properly maintained.

Not taking rest breaks, that's not going to fly. Every once in while they may go a little over by a few minutes, but it's not by much and it doesn't happen that often. I don't do the internal routes at the Fort so I'm not sure how they schedule breaks. If it's the same as the external buses, it's computerized. When you are assigned a bus, your name is entered into the system. After that, the computer tells the coordinator when it's time for a break. One of the drivers major complaints is that they get broken too soon.

As for maintenance, we complain about why didn't they fix this or that, but it's always very minor things, never anything to do with safety. We do an intensive Brake test before we move the bus in the morning, even though someone drove the bus to the hub, sometimes just hours before. We also do a brake test at the end of the day, even though we've been driving that bus for hours. Just about every day I'll hear or be told, take your bus to Vehicle Maintenance for routine maintenance. The bus is out of service for servicing.

The buses at the Fort are some of the newest buses. They never, ever use the older RTS buses. Drivers are allowed to take buses out of service during the day. It's our call, and drivers do exorcise it. I don't see either one of those issues being a winner. I wouldn't be working there if I thought the buses were unsafe.

I think they'll go after the driver because there is nothing else to pick on.

Guess I missed something.. I have not heard this story?

http://www.wdwinfo.com/news/General...sued_by_family_of_boy_killed_in_bus_crash.htm

Based on one of the reasons, guess Disney needs to move the sidewalk because it's too close to the road! I feel really bad for the family; however, when my DS was 9 he was not riding his bike without DH or I. I think people think because they are camping, they don't need to watch their kids. Friends own a campground in OH and have the same problems with kids, bikes and irresponsible parents.

Disney was in no way, even in a minor way, at fault. The sideWALK had nothing to do with it. A bike or any vehicle for that matter is difficult to control with a very low or flat tire.

One day we will get back to taking responsibility for our own actions. Eliminating the contingency fee would be a great start AND making the loser pay attorney fees is another.

Yes, this is a tragedy but if it was not for the fact that we have the contingency system and the person who brings the suit loses nothing there would be no law suit. Of course, if there were no deep pockets involved there would not be a suit either.

That poor family went to Disneyworld expecting to make wonderful memories and have a great time together. They went home CHILDLESS. I think at this point the suit is about getting Disney to stop denying any responsibility for the accident; and to require Disney to at least take some small preventitive measure (ex. a guard rail) along that tricky stretch on the bike path in their child's memory.
Were the parents neglectful? Perhaps. However, at Ft Wilderness it's easy to get swept up in the feeling that you are in a very special, safe, child santuary where everyone is safe and having fun. And the little boy was't that young... Alot of people regularly let younger children ride their bikes around with friends/cousins at Ft Wilderness.
So I think it's mean to be bashing these parents. They've been hurt enough already. Whatever Disney ends up giving them is nothing compared to what they've lost. I think Disney should show a bit of compassion now and then instead of hiding behind their large team of attorneys when they're right and when their wrong.

You're kidding right? My daughter is 13 and when she was 9 I wouldn't let her walk across from the 900 loop to the Meadows to get something even though we had the site where you come straight into the loop.

If it had been a private owner of a vehicle what would the excuse be then? It's very sad this boy lost his life. I would like to know if this child had his helmet on. Not that it would've helped but I never see kids wearing them (or very occasionally) had he just hit his head on the sidewalk would Disney be at fault? BTW, helmets are law in FL but rarely is it enforced.

This is exactly what's wrong with this country when people think somebody else needs to give them something because they didn't protect you. Do some preventative measures and a lot of things wouldn't happen like this.

You're kidding right? My daughter is 13 and when she was 9 I wouldn't let her walk across from the 900 loop to the Meadows to get something even though we had the site where you come straight into the loop.

If it had been a private owner of a vehicle what would the excuse be then? It's very sad this boy lost his life. I would like to know if this child had his helmet on. Not that it would've helped but I never see kids wearing them (or very occasionally) had he just hit his head on the sidewalk would Disney be at fault? BTW, helmets are law in FL but rarely is it enforced.

This is exactly what's wrong with this country when people think somebody else needs to give them something because they didn't protect you. Do some preventative measures and a lot of things wouldn't happen like this.

Agree 100%

Disney was in no way, even in a minor way, at fault. The sideWALK had nothing to do with it. A bike or any vehicle for that matter is difficult to control with a very low or flat tire.

One day we will get back to taking responsibility for our own actions. Eliminating the contingency fee would be a great start AND making the loser pay attorney fees is another.

Yes, this is a tragedy but if it was not for the fact that we have the contingency system and the person who brings the suit loses nothing there would be no law suit. Of course, if there were no deep pockets involved there would not be a suit either.

I see we both are on the same page today. You are so right about the lawyers. These people are taking a 50/50 jab at "what can we get"? What lawyer in his right mind isn't going to take on a chance to get some mulla from the mouse.

at fault. The sideWALK had nothing to do with it.

You know Steve, I'm always telling my DH (who insists on riding his bike on the sidewalk) that it's called a sideWALK, and not a sideRIDE. Biking laws in Florida state that if a bicyclist is riding on a public road that he/she rides on the shoulder or side of the road, going WITH the flow of traffic. Now what remains to be seen is, will the roads within the Fort be considered "public"?

This is a "no-win" lawsuit, IMHO, even if the parents do end up with a monetary settlement. Money can't buy back a life. :guilty:

I've worked for attorneys for over a decade. The family is living in Hell and is angry and wanting to punish someone else. The attorney is calculating the size of the contingency fee that they are anticipating, and they are discussing it in staff meetings to make sure they collect all they feel they should (collect for the firm, not the family. You will never hear them discussing the family's award around the conference table, wondering of the family was taken care of).

It took thousands of years of evolution to create a mindset like this. Welcome to... what?

One day we will get back to taking responsibility for our own actions.
:thumbsup2

The loss of a child has to be extremely difficult and even more so when deep down you feel that you should have maybe done things different that could have helped avoid it.

Getting a judge and jury to award you a case in court could quite possibly be the mothers way of being able to say to herself and justify that someone else is to blame... that combined with a lawyer feeding her information that some big greedy company is to blame.

I'm sure that there have been hundreds of lawyers telling her she is the real victim and Disney (Just because they are Disney and the lawyers cut will be huge if they get awarded anything) needs to be held accountable for their negligence and the thought of being able to put the blame on someone else other than herself is just too tempting.

One day we will get back to taking responsibility for our own actions.

Steve – That day will never come. We are moving farther and farther away from that. Every week there is a new it’s not my fault pill on the market.

:thumbsup2

The loss of a child has to be extremely difficult and even more so when deep down you feel that you should have maybe done things different that could have helped avoid it.

Getting a judge and jury to award you a case in court could quite possibly be the mothers way of being able to say to herself and justify that someone else is to blame... that combined with a lawyer feeding her information that some big greedy company is to blame.

I'm sure that there have been hundreds of lawyers telling her she is the real victim and Disney (Just because they are Disney and the lawyers cut will be huge if they get awarded anything) needs to be held accountable for their negligence and the thought of being able to put the blame on someone else other than herself is just too tempting.
Have to agree with you. It must be unimaginably horrible to lose a child this way. I'm sure those parents are second guessing themselves all over the place. Must be a case of...'If only we had....' or 'if we had just told him no'. Perhaps bringing suit against Disney is their way of allowing themselves to feel that someone else is guilty of wrongdoing, rather than feeling that they, themselves, could have done something differently.

I mean, seriously...the sidewalk was too close to the road??? It was a tragic accident, no one at fault.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter