• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Fantasmic- Yes or No?

DisneyD

Disney Lover since childhood!
First trip to Disneyland is coming up in less than three weeks!!!!

I've been to WDW tons of times and never had a problem getting a seat for Fantasmic, but I understand the area for this show at Disneyland is different and much smaller.

I didn't book the dessert priority seating because it seemed awfully expensive to do. So, what do I need to do to get a decent seat or should I skip this show (since we've seen it twice at MGM), and take advantage of short wait times for rides? :cool1:

Yeah it can be pretty crazy to get a good place to sit (on the ground) to watch the show. People start sitting down hours before it starts. What we found to work good, is go to the second show of the night. When the first show ends, and everyone is getting up to leave, that's when you get in there and find a good spot. Of course that's still a bit of a wait!

We've been discussing whether or not we want to attempt it this year. We got to see it really good last year. And being in July when we go, with all the crowds, I'm not sure we'll do it. I think this year were going to focus on seeing the rides as much as possible. I don't want to spend too many of my hours waiting for shows and parades for seating this time.

See it. I have seen DLR Fantasmic a number of times, and just saw WDW Fantasmic two nights ago for the first time. The DLR version is different in many respects, but the setting on Tom Sawyer Island across from the Rivers of America is very cool. I liked the DLR storyline much better (how in the heck does Pocahontas justify so much time at WDW???) and the use of the Mark Twain and Columbia ships really gives a bang to the ending.

We have never gotten dinner or dessert packages at DLR and have always seen it fine with our family of six during peak summer hours. Similar to WDW, if there are two showings of Fantasmic on a given night, go to the second showing - it is much less crowded. If your group is small you can get a good spot 30 minutes before the second showing - probably still can 15 minutes before as well. It depends on how large your group is. Yes you have to stand or sit on the ground in certain areas - but it is totally worth it. We usually get a spot in the sitting area down in front near the water.

Avoid Friday and Saturday night if possible. If you have young children who cannot tolerate the second showing, well the same thing applies at DLR as WDW - you need to get there real early to see the first showing - at least 60 minutes and probably 90 is better. Just go see it. It is totally worth it.

Edited typo

In my opinion the show is much better at DL than WDW so it is worth seeing. That being said, the seating is much more difficult at DL. We usually watch it if we go off season but have found summer to be a bit nuts for our taste (OK, the last time we tried was July 4th weekend...the 3rd, not the 4th but it was BUSY). If you decide to go, definitely shoot for the second show. There isn't enough time in between the two show that anyone has to wait for hours.

As the others have said, go to the 2nd show. YOu can get a great seat with out the wait. The show is worth watching.

I've seen the show at DL many times. After reading comparisons between the two shows in the WDW threads here on the DIS, I decided not to stress about seeing it at MGM. It is something else when Steamboat Willie comes into a view on the Mark Twain at DL. It's my understanding that the WDW version isn't as big and is further away from the audience.

Wow! Thanks for your replies. I will take your advice and see the second show. My kids are two months away from ages 10 and 9, so I think that staying up to see the show won't be a problem.

See it -- you wont regret it. We saw the one at MGM a few times before seeing the one at DL. Yes, the seating is more of an issue at DL. But the show more than makes up for it. You are SO close to the action, even if you show up late and stand in the back. WDW cant compete with a full-size pirate ship with Peter Pan and Captain Hook fighting, and the real steamboat! It's just amazing! Now when we go back to WDW, it's kinda sad because we keep thinking the one at DL is better. :cool1:

To be honest I did not like the one at DW but after reading about Fatasmic at DL I am going to make it a point to see it, hopfully they will have it the week of Christmas and I'll go to the second seating or standing as long as I can see it pirate:

GailT said:
To be honest I did not like the one at DW but after reading about Fatasmic at DL I am going to make it a point to see it, hopfully they will have it the week of Christmas and I'll go to the second seating or standing as long as I can see it pirate:

I think you'll be glad you did go see it. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter