Fatal monorail accident at WDW

Found this on INTERCOT

July 6, 2009

Monorail System Re-Opens With New Sensors

Walt Disney World will re-open the monorail system today. Changes include new safety sensors added to monitor track switches. In a note to employees, Disney said that investigators with the Occupational Safety and Health Administration have "released" the monorail system allowing it to be operated again. "We have completed a thorough safety inspection and system checks to verify that it is safe to operate the monorail for our guests and cast," Disney said. "We've added additional verifications of these track switch positions, supplemented our safety procedures and protocols for these operations, and communicated these changes to our Transportation partners."

We were there june28-july5. We rode the monorail several times and once on tuesday when we pulled into the contemporary stop the monorail was completely evacuated and we were told maintenace was on its way. On several days and automated message would play several times throughout our trip it said something like (we are now stopped to allow a safe distance between the other monorails) But it would play while we were going and when we were stopped and several times over.

From the Orlando Sentinnel article linked above:

The new procedures include having multiple employees verify that a switch between monorail beams has been completed before a train is allowed to advance.

That seems to lend substantial credibility to the theory that Pink was preparing to return to the barn, and the pilot (and tower?) thought the switch was thrown and began backing. But the switch was not thrown and Pink backed into the TTC on the occupied Epcot track, right into Purple. Tragic.

The latest news (reported by WESH2, Orlando) coming out of this tragic event is that a switch malfunctioned. I thought perhaps someone fell asleep at the controls, but it appears that a switch didn't work properly and reveresed one of the monorails from moving towards Epcot or MK, (no sure which park) and reversed the train back towards the Ticket/Transportation Center. It was the same track that the incoming train was on (the train which the young man was killed).
There are so many questions to be answered yet such as why didn't the other driver stop or call in the problem or why didn't the central control folks catch the problem, etc.
The news also had a home video of the young man shot by a family just a few days before the accident. They were riding up front with him. The report also talked about how much he loved being a monorail driver. So very, very sad, only 21 years old.
My prayers to all involved in this. Such an unDisney like event. One is so use to nothing but happy things at WDW.

As morbid as it may sound, few of us will get to check out of this life doing what we loved doing.

As morbid as it may sound, few of us will get to check out of this life doing what we loved doing.

Our friend my have disdain for this thread, too, but I'll agree with you on that. I meet too many people that seem like they never even got to do what they loved, much less got to have it end that way. Goes back to living life every day. I can't always do what I love best, but I do my best to keep focused on what counts. You only get to focus on it in this life for a very short time.

You know, Rob, I've thought about death a lot. I spent 8 years working a hospice ward, worked my share of ER's doing head and neck trauma, and was a forensic and a triage officer in the Army for many years, and I have observed that death is usually painful, frequently violent and seldom peaceful. Without exception, regardless of how difficult their life was, every one fought for one more breath. If I can leave this world doing something I loved doing, then that's the way I want to go.

Ive lived a good enough life. I have the things I need, which aint much. I some things I want...that aint much either.But then I have the things that have made my life worth living....my wife and kids. If I were to die tonight,I wouldnt be able to say I had gotten shorted out of anything. My only real fear is dying in the club I work at. Thats NOT where I want to be picked up from on my last ride out!

Ive lived a good enough life. I have the things I need, which aint much. I some things I want...that aint much either.But then I have the things that have made my life worth living....my wife and kids. If I were to die tonight,I wouldnt be able to say I had gotten shorted out of anything. My only real fear is dying in the club I work at. Thats NOT where I want to be picked up from on my last ride out!

Make a deal with the manager and tell him to drag you outside if anything happens, trust me, we find people in a lot worse places than a club.

Everybody says that, hardly anybody does.

One of my grandfathers actually went that way,,they had company over for dinner, they did some dancing after, he said he was a little tired , sat down and said he was gonna rest his eyes for a moment, and never woke up.

My grandfather went almost the exact same way. He was over at our house when I got off the bus, he gave me a hug, said bye to my dad, and walked to his house... My grandma said he came in said hi to her, said he was going to take a nap in his chair before they all came to my 5th grade band concert. He sat down, laid his head back and "fell asleep".

I didn't understand why no one from my family but my mom was at my band concert that night. :(

But dang, that is the way to go!!! Either that or "in bed" ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter