Faulty Poll Questions

P

Pa@okw95

Over the years there have been many questions asked through polls. Many polls have faulty questions, or are presented with a slant, or are just based on some reasoning that is not correct. For example the most current poll assumes that if everyone waits longer for their room more people will get their requests. One thing really has nothing to do with the other. You will get your request if it is possible. Requests are done a day or two before the actual day and rooms assigned, of course things happen that change some of them but for the most part they are kept. I have had 20 vacations(weeks)down there and all my reuest were honored, never a problem, what was a problem was when I got my room late a few times at 4:45, this is really a pain as most would agree. But the thought that some how holding back the rooms until close to 4 will have any effect on anything other than to cause a riot down there is not correct. Like many polls the questions are not done by professionals and show a bias, that is why they should all be taken with a grain of salt.

Even if a poll were perfectly designed, its results would still have no statistical validity due to "participation bias", meaning that the people who choose to respond are not a random sample. Plus the everpresent problem that DIS members are not representative of WDW guests in general.

The polls are just for fun - I certainly hope no one uses them for any decision making!

I agree with you and erik "the wise". No way could any poll posted on these forums ever be statistically valid - for a WHOLE lot of reasons.

It's good to remind people of this - it is oh so very easy to get caught up in them and go down the wrong road!

Best wishes-

Pa,
I agree that holding rooms until 4pm would not serve any purpose at all.

The polls are always fun, but some people will use past polls to qualify their comments and that always bugs me because they are slanted and biased.

Same here. The Dis and polls are just plain fun and you get to have interactions with those who love wdw as much as you. Even though it's not scientific, it's great to see how people respond.

Pa@okw95 said:
Over the years there have been many questions asked through polls. Many polls have faulty questions, or are presented with a slant, or are just based on some reasoning that is not correct.

When you consider that the last poll I voted in on the Dis-Boards had a 100% margin of error, I'm sure that it's results were pretty accuate.;)

They are just for fun. And they are. Continue the polls!

HBC

Pa@okw95 said:
Over the years there have been many questions asked through polls. Many polls have faulty questions, or are presented with a slant, or are just based on some reasoning that is not correct. For example the most current poll assumes that if everyone waits longer for their room more people will get their requests. One thing really has nothing to do with the other. You will get your request if it is possible. Requests are done a day or two before the actual day and rooms assigned, of course things happen that change some of them but for the most part they are kept. I have had 20 vacations(weeks)down there and all my reuest were honored, never a problem, what was a problem was when I got my room late a few times at 4:45, this is really a pain as most would agree. But the thought that some how holding back the rooms until close to 4 will have any effect on anything other than to cause a riot down there is not correct. Like many polls the questions are not done by professionals and show a bias, that is why they should all be taken with a grain of salt.

Got your room at 45 minutes after the official check in time, My gosh what are they thinking, :earseek:

Happy Birthday Cat said:
When you consider that the last poll I voted in on the Dis-Boards had a 100% margin of error, I'm sure that it's results were pretty accuate.;)

They are just for fun. And they are. Continue the polls!

HBC
Agreed! Those polls are at least as "accuate" ;) as your spell checker, LOL!

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

Best wishes -

I wish I knew why Disney keeps asking "Have you visited the WDW once since 1999" or some sort year when all you want is a dining ressie. I must have answered that particular question 30 times. They are not getting anything meaningful from that question.

I think the polls here are for fun, not research.

Bobbi :dog:

CarolMN said:
Agreed! Those polls are at least as "accuate" ;) as your spell checker, LOL!

Carol: I just do that from time to time to make sure people are paying attention. Nice job.;)

HBC

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter