Favorite campgrounds besides Ft. W

Disneycrazymom

DIS Veteran
Now that summer is coming to an end I was wondering where everyone likes to go camping when they can't go to Disney World.

I'll start:

We love to spend weekends at Port of Kimberling on Table Rock Lake in MO (near Branson). The lake is nice and it is fun to go to Silver Dollar City or see a show in Branson.

Any other favorites? :D

We enjoy going to the Keys, last trip there we had a campsite right on the water it was great, only problem we went later in the year than we have done in the past and it was hot.

We would love to do some nascar infield camping - anyone done this???

We love FDR state park in Pine mtn. Ga.!Its close to warm springs and callaway gardens.

We just got back from a camping trip up on the north shore of Lake Superior. It's beautiful up there! There are state park campgrounds, as well as National Forest campgrounds that are all wonderful! Of course, it's a little harder to camp up in Northern Minnesota in the winter! ;) But, these are beautiful places in the summer/fall months!

FDR is nice. We love to go there and over to calloway to ride bikes. I've found most of the State parks in GA. are nice. Love the mountian parks. The park at Land Between Lakes, KY is nice also. Lots to do there.

Kilroys

Camping anywhere is just fine. The great outdoors. Unknown places to explore. Lancaster PA is a wonderful place to explore. For the NASCAR fan' stayed in the infield at Talladega this spring. One of the most enjoyable experiences we had. Met people from all over the country. We don't have an on board generator but bought one. Words can't describe the fun we had.

Haven't been there in years but Pirateland in Myrtle Beach. Right on the beach so everyone can come and go as they please. There is also a campground like that in St. Augustine but I forget the name. We stayed there in '93 on our way to WDW.

We love to camp in the Wisconsin State Park system. They combine sparkling clean facilities with hiking trails that weave through bluffs, woods, and prairies. There is nothing like watching the eagles fly below you as you stand 500 feet up looking down into a valley.

Every year we try a few new parks and a couple of favorites. Amazing.

My very favorite is Topsail Hill State Preserve in Santa Rosa Beach, FL in the panhandle. Course, SRB is my fav place (besides WDW, of course!). They don't, however, allow tents or popups, although we did see one popup in July when we visited (stayed in a condo with friends, but camped in April there)

Follow this link for my website of Topsail

http://www.geocities.com/tinkerbellwdw2000/SantaRosaBeach/topsail_hill_state_preserve_camp.html

Someone on the IRV website is now going due to my website! I'm a little hesitant about promoting it for fear it will be booked when I want to go!

Huntington Beach State Park, just south of Myrtle Beach, SC. It's much more pleasant than any of the public or private parks in Myrtle Beach, and is only about 10 minutes away from all the activities in Myrtle Beach. They take reservations and have some full hookup sites. RV access is very easy.

Julian Price Park, Blowing Rock, NC. It's a national park, on the Blue Ridge Parkway. It's a very quiet and scenic getaway, probably best appreciated by adults. There are no hookups, but at about 4000 feet elevation you'll never need air conditioning. RV access is not as bad as you would think by looking at the maps. If you come from the east (I-95, to I-85, to NC highway 421, to the Blue Ridge Parkway), access to the park is easy. We have done it with a 32 foot travel trailer with no problems. Just remember, the gear you go up with is the gear you need to go down with. The Parkway south of the campground is, in my opinion, too steep and curvy for large motorhomes or trailers.

Big Meadows Campground, Shenandoah National Park, Virginia. Within 2.5 hours of Washington, DC, a beautiful campground on the Skyline Drive. It's busy on summer weekends and in the fall. No hookups, but you don't need them. RV access requires careful driving.

I have stayed at a couple of state parks in Florida on the panhandle. Destin is my favorite so far. It is on the ocean. I would love to spend a month or two exploring Florida state parks.
We usually only spend a night or two on the way and way back to Florida. On the weekends we stay at Fort Wilderness and During the week we stay at a Disney vacation club resort.
Lots of packing but we get the most out of our limited time there.

Tigger

Hi Tinkerbellrules,
Topsail now allows popups. They didn't, but this summer they have now started allowing popups.

My all time favorite park (besides Fort Wilderness of course) is St. Andrews State Park (Panama City Beach). You can camp right on the water and they have scorkeling, canoeing, fishing, playgrounds and more. They have 176 sites with water and electric only. I love it.
We are going this Oct. for 5 days. Our last camping trip for the year.

Originally posted by TinkerbellRules
My very favorite is Topsail Hill State Preserve in Santa Rosa Beach, FL in the panhandle. Course, SRB is my fav place (besides WDW, of course!). They don't, however, allow tents or popups, although we did see one popup in July when we visited (stayed in a condo with friends, but camped in April there)

Topsail Hill has changed their rules and now allows pop-ups! :D

They are working on facicities to allow tents (but gave no date).

I wish we could go to all these places!

Another favorite in the Panhandle is the All Star Campground in Perdido Key FL. It is expensive and you must make ressies early but it is worth it, I love to sit outside and see the ocean. Not something we can do from MO.:D

After reading these I have too many places I want to visit next year! Wish we had more vacation time, that silly old work thing is getting in the way of our travel time.:D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter