Fear of ear pain, ect....

ls1222

DIS Veteran
Has anyone ever had fear of ear plane or not being able to breathe on a flight? I know that most are afraid of the mechanics or not being in control (I cant say that doesnt bother me) but I am worried about having ear pain and I was reading this magazine a while ago and it was talking about hypoxia (not getting enough oxygen while flying) and I am now worried about our upcoming flight. We flew two years ago and I was ok, just a little ear pain. Anyway, I just wanted to see if anybody else is as crazy as me!!!!

I flew just this last weekend and an ad in the Fall 2002 Disney magazine caught my attention. :)
It was an ad for kid's who experience ear discomforts -- Earplanes.
But while standing in an airport, I saw something similar for adults. I didn't buy them because I figured at an airport EVERYTHING is expensive and I don't have a bad problem. I just sometimes find it annoying if I have to ascend and descend a few times during the day.
But I think for next month I am going to look at them in a drugstore.
The ad reads it slows the flow of air through the ear canal. And it states that adults can take along regular EarPlanes. (Flight Ear Protection)
Would this help you?
:)

I don't think your crazy, but I do think you are scaring yourself to death.
I have heard of a product to put in your ears that keeps your ear drums open so that they will not pop. You can purchase them at CAA I believe, specifically for this problem. They are like ear plugs.

Don't go looking for problems, just enjoy your trip. What will be will be.

We used the Earplanes for my nephews who both have allergies and they didn't complain at all about the ascent or descent. I found them at a CVS pharmacy. The website is:

www.earplanes.com

and it lists local stores where you can buy them.

I used to experience severe ear pain until my doctor recommend any over the counter 'antihistamine' to keep the tubes open. Works like a charm :)

I have terrible problems with my ears when flying.
I've used earplanes several times. They help a LOT!!
I've found them at discount stores (Kmart, Target). They also have them at the airport shops.

I also think the planes are too stuffy and always have my air aimed at me and on FULL.

Well it looks like everyone is for "ear planes". I will go to the drug store and buy them. 4nana-what antihistamine did your dr recommend? I do have tube problems, I have heard that pinching your nose and gently blowing works as well???? Thanks again.

I hate to encourage any fears of flying, but it's been more than 6 weeks since we last flew and I'm still having problems with my ears being clogged. I tried every trick I could read up on...pinching my nose, warm steam...everything! All I know is on the trip home, for the first time ever, my ears not only clogged up, but the pain was really pretty bad. For the first couple of days we were home I could barely hear anything, it was like listening to someone talk while I was under water! I finally made a dreaded trip to the dr ( some people hate flying, I hate going to the Dr) and he put me on antihistamines and it seems to be slowly helping. The type he recommended was psuedoephedrine, 12 hour tablets( is that benadryl??). Don't take my word for it, I'm certainly no doctor, and I wouldn't take them without asking a dr first. If you have ear problems I'd really encourage you to talk to your dr about what you can do to prevent any problems. Antihistamines can be taken for a few days before you fly and I know I'll never fly again without the earplanes!

I too recommend the EarPlanes, they really work!

There are 2 sizes, 1 for adults and 1 for children.

I don't like using the antihistamines, they make me drowsy, dry out my membranes, etc.

My tends to have problems with her ears when we fly. We discovered Ear Planes a couple years back and she uses those now when we fly. She hasn't had a problem since. Make sure you read the box and follow the instructions. They should be put in your ear before you take off, and either left in for the entire flight or put back in your ear BEFORE you begin your initial descent for landing. The do work good. We got ours at Walgreens.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter