Fear of Flying

genetic jackhammer

Mouseketeer
Family is planning a trip to the World in May 2003. Last time we went we drove from Ma., and even though it was fun, it took way too long, so now we have decided to fly. Problem is DD's, ages 6 and 5 are nervous about flying, especially after having ceremonies commemorating 9/11 at their school. They have never been on a plane before. My main problem is I am scared to death to fly (haven't flown since 1993) and will have to tell them soon that we are going to Disney again and this time we will fly. I'm afraid that when DD's see the look on my face when I tell them we are going to fly (it will be similar to a deer caught in an 18 wheelers headlights on I-95) that will make them even more nervous.

Any advice on how to assure the kids that everything will be fine all the while I'm scared out of my wits?? Especially when its time to get on the plane?? :earseek:

Thank you for your help

It is going to be tough to convince your kids that flying is wonderful when you don't feel that way. Children often develop their fears based on what their parents are afraid of. I think you need to convince yourself first that flying is the safest, most convenient and FUN way to travel and when you believe it, they will too. If you look at the stats, airline safety and all of the other factors, nothing is safer than air travel. Not even walking. You could be hit by a car! As to their concerns generated over 9/11, you just need to explain to them that what happened, happened because there are evil people in the world and many safeguards are now in place to prevent that from ever happening again.

i totally agree with DawnCt,, we are also going in may. (3rd thru the 10th) and we are flying and i would never let my daughter know that i am afraid...she has flown once before and myself ,twice. but i am petrified....but i will walk on that plane with my head high just like she does,,,know one will know how afraid i am. i can do it!!! and so can you....when you tell your children ,,just act so excited,and they will be excited too.
good luck!

I fake it like I faked my smile and happy wave on their first day of school when I wanted to cry. They do "catch" our fears if they see them. Maybe a pre-trip trip to the airport might help? That way they (and you) can see what it looks like, where the security gates are and how they work, so it would be a bit familiar to them (and you) before you go. Good luck, and you can do it; I know this is tough, but I bet you've done much tougher things. You can do it!! :)

Would it be possible for someone else to tell them about the plane trip? Preferably someone who enjoys, or at least doesn't mind, flying? It is so easy for children to pick up the fears of their parents. I prefer to take my kids to get their shots because DH has a shot phobia.

DD6 just asked me a week ago when we get to fly again. She thinks it is fun. She'll get her chance in Jan when we head for our Disney cruise.

Good luck!

Peggy

I work in public safety. I also have a family and love to travel to Florida. Our kids are in college and have traveled to Venice , Italy
San Diego and Florida on their own since 9/11. My wife and I had to decide that we had to let them go. We won't let our lives our lives or our kids lives be ruined by the terrorists. The memory of that day should always be with us but I think the media has oversaturated people with the fear of it. I guarantee you will be flying on the same plane as a lot of off duty firefighters, police and military people who have spent their lives looking out for other people. I suggest you remind yourself that you will be in good company and not let your kids dwell on what has happened before. You owe it to yourself and your kids. Best wishes

Even though we fly frequently, it actually scares me to death. Something that I found really helpful was www.fearofflyinghelp.com
It's a free online "course" that goes into explicit detail on what to expect and how safe flying actually is. It really helped me a lot...after I read the material, we went on a flight and I heard the sounds that I'd learned about in the course. I kept thinking, "I know what that is!"
For anyone who is hesitant about flying, I recommend that you check out that website!
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.castawayclub.com

What a great topic? I scared of flying myself. I would love to fly on our trip August 2003. I'm scared to death. I know I proparly will be fine once get on the plane then again I know I might chicken out. So scared of falling out of the sky. I don't know what to do.

I'm into trying do things all the time. I have adventaus cousins they took on rollar coasters. Then swimming in the deep in when scared.

My problem is my mom she will probaly would go crazy she get on the plane. When we take off she will have arm in a death grip.

I went though that once when I rode the Spiderman at IOAs. I enjoy the ride but she was scared.

I know don't won't drive 10 hours to DisneyWorld. I thinking about flying if it's cheaper. I will be flying out of Chattanooga to Orlando.

So anybody know a good website that good details about Flying 101. How to buy tickets. How to pick a airlane. What is flying out of Chattanooga or Atlanta. I only live two hours away out of Atlanta. I need tips for first time flyers. I know nothing. Will need step by step insrtuctions.

your children will take their cues about how to feel directly from you. We flew to Hawaii this past summer (first time since 9/11) and I was nervous on the first leg. I faked it as well as I could and by plane #3, I was a relaxed pro again! I guess I am saying that you may be able to actually be so convincing you convince yourself. Good luck and focus on WDW and what you will do while there - not the plane ride.

Its not the flying I'm afraid of...its the falling!

Actually, I feel safer in the air now not because of the heightened security screening but because I and my fellow passengers will no longer sit by and let a bunch of bozos takeover a plane again! Maybe I'm different but I observe people in the departure lounge and again when they get on the plane. In my mind's eye I identify those people who would help subdue some nutzo on my flight.

I think the flight crews have a different attitude as well. I flew Delta from BDL to CVG last Wednesday. I sat in an exit row on the aisle. For the first time ever, as we were taxi-ing for take-off, the flight atendant came down the aisle, looked at every passenger and stopped right in front of me. She said "Does everybody in these 2 rows know you are in the exit rows?" then looking over at the gentleman sitting at the window exit who appeared to be foreign, the flight attendant said, "Sir, do you know how to operate the exit door?" He mumbled something not in English (or Spanish, French or German) and the FA forcefully said, "I'm sorry you can not sit there." Then the guy in the middle seat said, "I can move over if you would like." I wanted to elbow him and tell him to shut up and let the lady do her job. The Flight Attendant said, "No, he can not sit in this row." Then she got a volunteer from someone in another row to sitch seats with the man she was not comfortable with sitting at the window exit. It made me feel better that this woman was not going to take any grief from a passenger.

When you think of the number of flights per day, still in the tens of thousands just here in the United States, the chances of anything bad happening (even losing luggage!) are very small.

I have two boys 9 & 4. They are not afraid. I fly alot for business and I am more anxious when my family is with me. I just don't let that nervousness show. They are just anxious to get to Florida!

Go fly and have a good time!

I'm slowly getting up the courage to do this!! Thank you for all your great responses. I just don't want my fears to make my DD's nervous. I'll definitely be sure we fly non-stop to lessen the anxiety of myltiple landings and take offs.

Thank you all again!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter