Feeling Grand - How to Plan a Disney Trip In 18 Days Or Less

Congrats on fitting in a mini-trip! I'm so excited for you. What a great time to have a little bit of mother/daughter bonding time before the new baby!

And a perfect time to introduce the bean to Disney. In utero. :lmao:

I'm impressed at how quickly you were able to plan the entire trip. I'm being sucked into planning a last minute trip for my parents in March, and it's not going anywhere near as easy. (Maybe it would help if they'd give me some definite days? :) )

I would have to say that having dates is key. ;)

I can't wait to hear all about your plans, especially all about the GF! I only wish I could go and take advantage of those AP rates. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for a good rate come fall.

The rate is awesome. We're so lucky.

How fabulous to know you will be at the Grand Flo in just 18 short days! You know I am onboard for all the fun!!!

Woo hoo! Happy to have you on board.

:banana: I even make an appearance!

So glad for you. One day I want to take my girls for a trip and stay at the Grand Floridian.

It is a combination of DIS friends, you included, who got my Disney trip itis stirring! :goodvibes

A girls trip at the Grand Flo sounds divine!

18 days until the Grand Floridian....h.e.a.v.e.n :goodvibes

My all time fave room there was a CV at the far end of Boca Chica - the Narcoossee's sp?) end - it was barely an obstructed view - we saw the lagoon, the monorail, the entrance to the MK, boat docks at MK and the fireworks were like it was especially for us. Shall I repeat? H.E.A.V.E.N :goodvibes

I wish the same for you, TK! :goodvibes I am so happy for you! ::yes::

You already have everything planned! :worship: And your Mom has done it all in a week?! :worship::worship: I'm very impressed. Nice work!

Now, eagerly waiting to hear about it! :goodvibes

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!

I am so excited for you.

The Grand Floridian of all places! :cloud9:

I"m just hoping it doesn't freak him out. :lmao:

That's the best discount I've ever seen for the Grand Flo.

I'm actually not planning to go to the spa, but we were there in September, so if you have any questions about that or the resort, feel free to ask. :goodvibes

I hope he enjoys seeing his little brother or sister tomorrow :goodvibes

I'll definitely ask questions, especially about the spa.

Is this your first stay at the GF?

Seems I'm a page late and a dollar short to join you. Not that you wanted me there anyway, but well, it was fun to see that siliness in print. :lmao:

Wait, I can still join you- it'll just be here and not there. Can't wait to see how one would plan a trip in 18 days??!! Obviously NOT my style! :lmao: I like more like 18 months.

18 days until the Grand Floridian....h.e.a.v.e.n :goodvibes

My all time fave room there was a CV at the far end of Boca Chica - the Narcoossee's sp?) end - it was barely an obstructed view - we saw the lagoon, the monorail, the entrance to the MK, boat docks at MK and the fireworks were like it was especially for us. Shall I repeat? H.E.A.V.E.N :goodvibes

I wish the same for you, TK! :goodvibes I am so happy for you! ::yes::

Oh my goodness, that room sounds divine!!!! I can't wait to see what we get. :goodvibes

You already have everything planned! :worship: And your Mom has done it all in a week?! :worship::worship: I'm very impressed. Nice work!

Now, eagerly waiting to hear about it! :goodvibes

It helps that I had my girlfriend trip with Tink to use as a model. It's funny, but I did some things totally different from the previous trip Mom and I had planned. It's amazing to me how my tastes totally change with pregnancy.

That's what I did to both of mine! lol Seems to have worked because one of Liam's (few) words that he can say is "Disney"!

Now that's my boy!

I wanted to ask you, since you were there while pregnant, is there anywhere I can look up which rides are a no no for expectant mothers? Most of them I probably wouldn't ride anyway, but it would be good to have an idea in advance.

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!

I am so excited for you.

The Grand Floridian of all places! :cloud9:

Thanks, me too!

I hope he enjoys seeing his little brother or sister tomorrow :goodvibes

I'll definitely ask questions, especially about the spa.

Is this your first stay at the GF?

No, actually. I've stayed there quite a few times. You know what, I'll do a little retro post this morning and tell you all about when the love affair began.

Seems I'm a page late and a dollar short to join you. Not that you wanted me there anyway, but well, it was fun to see that siliness in print. :lmao:

Wait, I can still join you- it'll just be here and not there. Can't wait to see how one would plan a trip in 18 days??!! Obviously NOT my style! :lmao: I like more like 18 months.

You're rambling, but it's really cute. :lmao:

And I'm happy to have you here!!! :goodvibes

Within all the other thoughts that are floating around in my head, it's probably best to start at the beginning and discuss our dates.

Before we do that, I'd like to take a little retro journey into yesteryear.

Back when TK wasn't TK.

She was just a ten year old girl, going to Disney for the second time, and staying at the most beautiful hotel on the property.

The Grand Floridian.

When I was ten, my parents took me and my sister to Disney. Honestly, I don't remember a lot specifically about this trip. I remember the hotel. I remember thinking I was independent, going to play arcade games by myself with a roll of quarters from Nana and Granddad when really they'd sent my sister a few minutes behind me. Crafty folks, my parents. And I never thought anything of it when she joined me. :lmao:

But more specifically, I remember the hotel.

How grand. How beautiful. How pretty. I mean, you know how important those formative years are to a girl and some things just stick.

Well, the Grand Floridian just stuck. I told my parents, on that trip, that when I got married, I was going to honeymoon at Disney and stay at the Grand Floridian.

Now, there were trips in between. Trips where we stayed at other places, and trips where we stayed at my beloved Grand Flo.

But the trip to end all trips, to put all trips to shame, was my honeymoon.

DH and I had entertained the notion of getting married at Disney. We would have been married in the wedding pavilion and had a reception in front of Italy, in that section they rope off for private parties by the gondolas. Our guests would have been able to enjoy Illuminations.

It wasn't to be. The main reason is that we're Catholic. And in order to have your marriage recognized by the church, you need to get married in the church. This may not be the case in every church in every parish, but it was in ours. And quite frankly, I didn't want the hassle.

So my dream of a Disney wedding was not to be.

My dream of a Disney honeymoon, however, came to complete fruition.

At the time, I was working for the Disney Store. I was a part time lead, which is part of the managment team, so I had amazing benefits. This was before the stores were sold and then bought back.

I got into the parks for free, and I got 50% off hotel rooms.

So DH and I stayed at the Grand Floridian for our 10 day honeymoon in the Sugar Loaf Concierge building.

That was one of the best trips I've ever been on. We barely spent money on food, there were always so many little snacks in the concierge building.

I can remember one day when the skies opened up and poured, and the pathways were flooded as we were running back to our room, and I couldn't run in my sandals, and DH told me, take them off! And there were these ducks waddling by, so happy, so thrilled to be wet, and we silly humans went tearing past at breakneck speed.

And what a rude awakening when you go from wet, wet, wet to that cool air conditioned air. BRRRR.

Suffice it to say I'm a girl of my word. I've loved the Grand Flo since I was ten years old, and I love it still.

I haven't stayed there since my honeymoon.

I can never get over the price, so much money to spend on one night. It just seems crazy.

So now you can all understand why, when Mom and I got a passholder rate that makes the Grand Flo less than rack rate at the Wilderness Lodge, we were over the moon. Port Orleans French Quarter (the mod we thought we'd stay at) was out of the picture. For a few hundred dollars more how can you possibly, possibly turn down the Grand Flo? At 45% off.

Short answer, you can't.

So, on to the dates.

I'd wanted to take Saturday, Jan 30 to Tuesday, Jan 2. This is for a few reasons. One, Saturday is the easiest day for me to take off and not use a lot of PTO. It's only a four hour day. Two, my father is off on Mondays and Tuesdays, and he can watch DS for my while DH is at work. It fits really well with everyone and meshes.

Unfortunately, when I talked to my supervisor yesterday, she informed me that I could not have Saturday, the 30th off, and for a legitimate reason.

Hmm...said I. I asked her if I could come up with another date, she said sure, and I told her I would call back.

So on went my thinking cap until, :idea: I had an idea.

See, there was a late flight on Saturday the 30th. It leaves around 420 and gets in at 715. I know it "wastes" a day, but it still puts me in Disney on that Saturday, and I didn't really like the flight times on Sunday. They were worse and more expensive.

So I conferred with Mom.

And that's how our Saturday to Tuesday trip became a Saturday to Wednesday trip. I called my supervisor and got approved to take off Wednesday, February 3.

I called DS' preschool and asked him if he could go on a Wednesday instead of a Thursday that week. (He only goes two days a week.) They said yes.

Mom asked Dad if he would watch DS on Monday and Tuesday.

My evil mother / daughter getaway plan was coming to fruition.

Mwa ha ha.

Quickly, not wanting to waste a moment, Mom and I booked airfare.

And let me tell you about that. We're paying under $200 round trip. We had a TON of credits (Southwest) leftover from our September trip. You can only use three per ticket, but let me tell you, it sure helped.

Then, we went online (while talking over the phone LOL) and logged into the Disney website with her annual pass. Low and behold, our beloved Grand Flo was still available.

Standard room. Four nights, five days.

My Disney heaven. :cloud9:

We booked it. Now will you laugh at me if I tell you we had already booked dining? One of the beauties of planning a trip in such a short span of time is that you don't have to wait for your dining window. It's already open. And one of the beauties in going in Jan/Feb is that it's pretty much wide open.

But that's for another chapter.

So there you have it.

How Mom and I got our girls' weekend away at my happy place. January 30th to February 3rd.

It's possible that when I saw her yesterday, we may have done a little happy dance.

It looked something like this :yay: , except with a rounder belly on my part. ;)

Next Chapter

I've heard your honeymoon story before and let me tell you it never gets old reading about it again. :lovestruc

I'm really excited that you are staying at Grand Floridian. I think it's great that you can pamper yourself with this trip a bit before bean arrives. :goodvibes

I am beyond jealous. 4 nights away from this cold weather, away from being Mommy, away from work. Sooo jealous.
And, totally excited for you. And for me, because I get to read another trip report.
Yay!!!!

I've heard your honeymoon story before and let me tell you it never gets old reading about it again. :lovestruc

Thank you so much. That is such a sincere compliment, it really touches me. :hug:

I'm really excited that you are staying at Grand Floridian. I think it's great that you can pamper yourself with this trip a bit before bean arrives. :goodvibes

I am so excited. I love my family, but it will be so good to get away with Mom and just shop and eat and relax.

I am beyond jealous. 4 nights away from this cold weather, away from being Mommy, away from work. Sooo jealous.
And, totally excited for you. And for me, because I get to read another trip report.
Yay!!!!

You may feel free to live vicariously through me. I am happy to offer myself up as the sacrifical travel lamb for you. ;)

You're rambling, but it's really cute. :lmao:

And I'm happy to have you here!!! :goodvibes

Me? Rambling?? Surely you jest!! :lmao::rotfl2::lmao:

I love your round-about way of getting to the perfect dates. So logical, and obviously well thought out. A tell-tale sign of too many hours laying in bed scheming. Mua-ha-ha...

Me? Rambling?? Surely you jest!! :lmao::rotfl2::lmao:

I love your round-about way of getting to the perfect dates. So logical, and obviously well thought out. A tell-tale sign of too many hours laying in bed scheming. Mua-ha-ha...

Or waking up at 500 am because you're starving and can't wait any longer to eat.

That'll give you some serious computer time. :lmao:

Or waking up at 500 am because you're starving and can't wait any longer to eat.

That'll give you some serious computer time. :lmao:

No doubt about that!!! So, what are you noshin on this fine morning?? Leftover lasagne? Cold cereal?? Those would be my go-to's.

You guys are going to have so much fun. Sounds like it's going to be a relaxing few days with plenty of good food. (Just guessing on that one from what you've told us about your mom. ;) )

I love how easily everything has fallen into place for you and this trip! It was meant to be! :hug:

In a way I feel like I am sending in an advance guard -- scope out the place for fun things for me! ;)

No, actually. I've stayed there quite a few times. You know what, I'll do a little retro post this morning and tell you all about when the love affair began.

Can't wait! I have a feeling I'm going to totally fall in love with the Grand. I'm hoping for a bit more luxury. Have you ever stayed in the Main Building?

But I have to admit, I'm a bit excited about the Four Seasons resort opening near the golf course. Besides Disney resorts of course, the Four Seasons is my fav :cloud9:

No doubt about that!!! So, what are you noshin on this fine morning?? Leftover lasagne? Cold cereal?? Those would be my go-to's.

Actually, my dear, I start every morning with yogurt. Today it was Dannon's Apple Cinnamon fruit on the bottom. This kiddo hates the taste of artifical sweeteners, so it's full fat and sugar for me, thank you very much. I love Diet Caffeine Free Pepsi, and right now, I can't stand the taste.

I drink a ton of orange juice. Mid morning I had a grapefruit which I also loaded with sugar.

Sensing a trend here?

And then, for lunch now, I just had a chicken cutlet my DH breaded and fried a couple nights ago. Yum yum.

Now I need to drink some more orange juice to wash it down.

Just in case you wanted to know. :lmao:

You guys are going to have so much fun. Sounds like it's going to be a relaxing few days with plenty of good food. (Just guessing on that one from what you've told us about your mom. ;) )

I am so glad we cancelled the other trip. Now we're staying at the Grand Flo, and yes, there will be PLENTY of good food.

I love how easily everything has fallen into place for you and this trip! It was meant to be! :hug:

In a way I feel like I am sending in an advance guard -- scope out the place for fun things for me! ;)

It was meant to be!

And I am happy to pave the way for your family, believe you me.

Taking one for the team, that's TK.

Can't wait! I have a feeling I'm going to totally fall in love with the Grand. I'm hoping for a bit more luxury. Have you ever stayed in the Main Building?

But I have to admit, I'm a bit excited about the Four Seasons resort opening near the golf course. Besides Disney resorts of course, the Four Seasons is my fav :cloud9:

Oh, it's definitely luxurious.

You know, I don't remember, but I don't think I've ever stayed in the Main Building. I'll have to ask Mom about that.

I know we stayed in the main building at the Contemporary once.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter