Fifth Gate?

I don't know you guys. I'm convinced that a 5th gate will be announced before Iger leaves. All these new hotels, attendance up, Universal's new gate (to name a few reasons I think so) Now there is a surprise announcement at D23 added to the schedule right after Universal announced the name of their new gate? It's been 21 years since Disney has added a gate? Isn't that the longest they've gone? And what has Joe Rohde been up to anyway? Has he been working on any big projects (besides the 5th gate:rotfl2: )? I have a feeling that my comment is going to be ripped apart by all of you, but I'm a believer! I just hope the 5th gate is something to get excited about (DisneySea). A girl can dream.... right?

The only thing that has me thinking no 5th gate is all of the comments on here (by Disney aficionados) saying "NO WAY".

5th gate posts are total click bait for me.
I feel the same way... my logic says NO WAY! But then I just get this weird feeling they are up to something huge. That and Disney never lets themselves be outdone by Uni... they have dropped info on all the other projects in the works already... epcot, tron, marvel land, sw hotel... A Disney 5th gate would be the clear way to steal unis thunder.

Universal has enough room for another park (4th gate) beyond epic universe also (especially if they convert the Epic parking area into a garage and use the lot land for the park, like they did for Islands of Adventure). I'd suspect that is 12-15 years out though. My guess is Universal is long term aiming to match park count, both in Water Parks and Theme Parks.
Epic universe is going on land that is close to 800 arce’s but did’nt they say it would not just be a part but also hotels ,shops,and restaurants seems like that would take up all that land

I wonder about construction capacity, of the specialized type it takes to build theme park lands and attractions. I remember hearing an interview with a historian about Disney's move to Florida in the late 60's. In particular, the historian noted a lack of expertise that already existed in the LA/Hollywood area and the challenges that presented for Florida. Of course, with theme parks providing the lion's share of the Orlando economy for the last 50 years, the infrastructure is there. But how thin will it be spread with one massive project like Universal's, vs TWO massive projects if Disney builds another park.
Not only that central Florida has many other projects they are working on right now too ,including the biggest of all imo the road ways which they have been already working on for the last 15 years

Okay I have to be honest, but I have not read this whole thread, so if this matches what someone else stated, I am not trying to plagerize.

I think D23 will become THE announcement that Disney will use to counter the new Gate for Universal.

I think you will hear the new gate for Disney will be - EPCOT redo - think they go whole hog on announcements now for Epcot including:
Brazil - added to WS
Redo of SSE - and what they are putting in
Clearer plans for WoL playland
Art for GotG roller coaster and what it will offer
Clear art for the new hub and the water feature going to the Seas
UK ride

They will stage this, IMO, as a whole new Gate for WDW as it will be a whole new feel and direction.

I also think...they may hint to one more add to DHS as well but that is just me guessing there.

I live in the Orlando area ,and many of our community’s are fast growing and lots of job growth ,odd because last month unemployment was up ,what I feel we do not have enough of is construction workers and central Florida has all these building codes .Also before a place can even build something they have to submit the plan’s to the county ,and there are a few things in central Florida that have been announced but have been delayed or cancelled .Yes this new park is happening but imo it would take years to build.
Employment you have to think about front line jobs as well. The entire workforce isn’t willing to just take $15 an hour jobs if they need a job. This is why Disney has the college program. They fill those front line lower paying jobs with college kids. Cheap and easy labor. If universal and Disney both build more gates they need that cheap and easy labor which will be hard to find. Also like you said construction is very thin right now in the area. So many huge projects ongoing and not enough workers.

Im interested to see how Disney will respond.

I think they have already been responding. They already knew this was coming and we have activity occurring at all parks right now and more; SGE and Mickey's Railway, changes and new rides at Epcot, and Tron at MK. Skyliner, new resorts, NBA at DS.

Not only that central Florida has many other projects they are working on right now too ,including the biggest of all imo the road ways which they have been already working on for the last 15 years
[/QUOTE]
True, But some of these big projects are wrapping up... SWGE and DHS, Guardians and Tron. If they started site prep and permitting now it would be 2-3years before anyone swings a hammer... by then they could make it happen... if the aim is to drown out uni they could with a slow burn... unlikely but not impossible.

Epic universe is going on land that is close to 800 arce’s but did’nt they say it would not just be a part but also hotels ,shops,and restaurants seems like that would take up all that land
They still have room for another park after that

I really do believe that Disney needs to do something either more expansion or another gate just to get crowd levels down a bit. Also I wonder what this is

Secret Walt Disney Company Project:
  • Saturday, August 24, 1:30 pm, Stage 28
  • Stay tuned, as details will be announced on August 22!

I really do believe that Disney needs to do something either more expansion or another gate just to get crowd levels down a bit. Also I wonder what this is

Considering its on Stage 28 and not the main stage I am thinking its film or TV related not parks.

Disney is trying hard to get crowd levels down .. by raising prices like 5-10% per year (or more) for the past decade. And even that doesn't seem to be putting a dent in the crowds (except maybe the summer)

They probably aren't going to put in a 5th gate, if families can't afford longer stays at WDW. Remember we are the minority .. going for 5+ days ..at least once a year. I am sure the majority of Disney guests are one-time guests .. going for maybe 3-4 days (due to costs). I don't think a 5th gate would encourage those guests to stay longer. Maybe it would just make them choose another park to skip?

Though, with the shifting demographic, they probably could make a 5th gate with nothing but tons of foodie options, shopping for trendy mouse ears, Instagram walls and rare character meet and greets of Disney villains from the 90s and maybe some projection shows. They could call it Millennial World.
I kid .. I kid.

But seriously, the reason the demographic is changing is probably the price increases. A lot easier to afford a vacation to WDW for 1 or 2 childless people, than a family for 4-5.

This 3rd Universal Park is a good thing though, but we may not see the good stuff for years to come. This will force Disney to compete harder and maybe plop down bigger discounts to encourage guests to stay at Disney as opposed to their rival.

Why is it any thread about a Fifth Park is like the ultimate click bait for me? I know it's not happening. I argue against it happening. I still can't help myself from clicking on it? It must be a personal failing...

Not trying to have clickbait simply there was no current Disney discussion side of Universal and going park for park seems to be what happened in the past.

I think there is a good thought though on this thread of Disney selling their current ride expansions/updates as better than a 5th gate.

Not trying to have clickbait simply there was no current Disney discussion side of Universal and going park for park seems to be what happened in the past.

I think there is a good thought though on this thread of Disney selling their current ride expansions/updates as better than a 5th gate.
Oh I'm not blaming you. These threads pop up regularly. It really is a personal failing that I can't just ignore them... :)

I really do agree with you. However, the one argument I'd make as a Pro for a 5th gate would be thinning the crowds. Having more rides at the existing parks just makes them more crowded. Having another place for people to go to would at least spread the attendees out. If for no other reason than that, I'd love to see a 5th gate. But like I said, I do agree with you aside from that aspect.
The only park that is consistently "crowded" is the Magic Kingdom

I really do agree with you. However, the one argument I'd make as a Pro for a 5th gate would be thinning the crowds. Having more rides at the existing parks just makes them more crowded. Having another place for people to go to would at least spread the attendees out. If for no other reason than that, I'd love to see a 5th gate. But like I said, I do agree with you aside from that aspect.
The added park doesn't need to be full of hidden Mickeys in order to thin the crowds if you get my meaning...just sayin'😝

I personally believe Disney still has work to do on AK, EPCOT and DHS to make those true, >1 day parks before they consider adding the 5'th gate. After all, history as your guide, the 5'th gate will be a 1/2 day park until they have some time to fill that one in too. Our kids and Grand kids will see it - me I'm not so sure 😢

Im interested to see how Disney will respond. New gates do slurp up a lot of attention. The problem is they are a massive investment in time and money that takes a long while to make back. The last two times Universal built a true gate (sorry Volcano Bay) Disney pre-empted it with another park to steal publicity.

While Im sure there is a division in Disney that is scrambling to come up with a "counter" to this at D23... It would be quite an announcement and steal Universal's thunder. The Best we can hope for are some new lands and expansions... Maybe SWGE and Pandora start filling up those expansion pads, DHS and AK get a new land, the Waterparks can get some new attractions, Epcot will get 1-2 more attractions for its overhaul, maybe Bombadier can finally get some new monorails :rotfl2: .

I say the absolute earliest we see a Disney 5th gate in Florida is 2030... more likely 30's-40's.

... and because Universal didn't announce any of the actual content of the park, they can get numerous marketing bumps by announcing it a little at a time.

Another thought: WWoS...now that the braves are leaving that facility its no longer needed for spring training. While they have tons of youth sporting events and marathon staging/signup there There is lots of underutilized infrastructure there. Im sure Disney could make more money there if they built it into more of theme park type experience. Right now theres not much to do there unless you are watching a youth sporting event or getting a race bib. They could easily build that into a 1/2 day gate by adding some attractions, shows, etc.

The only park that is consistently "crowded" is the Magic Kingdom

Judging by wait times, I don't think that's true. Even in early October 2016 we had significant wait times. October used to be a low crowd month. People earlier this year were posting how crowded the parks were in January/February this year. SDD in the middle of summer, a period of time where Disney has been doling out discounts to get their hotels filled up, had a 105 minute wait time in the middle of the day last week. Now, look, I know that a couple large data points I'm mentioning here aren't all-telling. However, they're indicative of a trend I've seen personally the last few years as an AP.

Last edited:
Judging by wait times, i don't think that's true. Even in early October 2016 we had significant wait times. October used to be a low crowd month. People earlier this year were posting how crowded the parks were in January/February this year. SDD in the middle of summer, a period of time where Disney has been doling out discounts to get their hotels filled up, had a 105 minute wait time in the middle of the day last week.

That's largely because, outside of the MK, the parks don't have enough attractions. Each park is currently under-built, attraction-wise, even taking into account attractions currently under construction/announced. Added to that, Disney has been reducing park hours and not always running rides at full capacity.

It's honestly shameful.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter