Fifth Gate?

Aha! A 5th gate could replace the WWoS complex! What kind of attendance does that see when compared to the parks? Could just use the stadium for a nightime spectacular and still rent it to Pop Warner during the day.
I know when there are cheer competitions there, the place is packed, sometimes with people not able to get in because there is no room. Also during those competitions, teams are going well into 8, 9, even 10 at night. Sometimes later than that for awards.

Wait till there is a global recession without the normal governmental options to recover and then tell me they are going to put $6 billion into a theme park.
That's a good point. It is pretty well-understood that we're nearing the end of the upside of a very long business cycle. I think once the Epcot spine project is done, we are not likely to see any big projects for a while.

That's a good point. It is pretty well-understood that we're nearing the end of the upside of a very long business cycle. I think once the Epcot spine project is done, we are not likely to see any big projects for a while.
I disagree, I think they have gotten into a good pattern of upgrades and expansions of one park at a time. MK had new fantasyland, AK got pandora, HS got TSL and SWGE, now Epcot is getting it's upgrade. I see the tomorrowland updating with Tron to be the MK cycle for now so hopefully we see another expansion announced at D23

Strange to hear someone saying a Disney park is busy this summer. All I keep reading is that the parks on both coasts are half-empty.

Half Empty? Closer to 3/4 when we were there last month.... It was crowded, not Christmas crowded but way more than half full. None of the headliner rides had wait times less than 60.. most sat around 80 all day, with Slink and FOP passage ranging anywhere from 2-3 hours..

I disagree, I think they have gotten into a good pattern of upgrades and expansions of one park at a time. MK had new fantasyland, AK got pandora, HS got TSL and SWGE, now Epcot is getting it's upgrade. I see the tomorrowland updating with Tron to be the MK cycle for now so hopefully we see another expansion announced at D23
Time will tell.

I don't know what the new land acquisitions do for them, but i remember asking about expansion on the full day behind the scenes tour maybe 10 years ago. I was told at the time that the wide world of sports complex took up the last chunk of land that could be developed into another full sized park.

This is not true. There is actually a large chunk of buildable land between EPSN and DHS that could hold a park, and another large plot of land east of the MK parking lot.

im voting for the 5th gate rumor...im guessing the big secret that is going to be announced is most likely a 5th park and its going to be a "Villan Park"...themed around all the disney villans....only my thoughts and what im hoping for but we'll def know for sure real soon.

I've always wondered why they haven't built a new deluxe resort on the very long monorail line from TTC to Epcot. Probably some swamp land they can't build on?

Reason for not adding a 4th monorail resort or a resort area between the TTC and Epcot is the monorail system can't handle the extra load. More trains would be required and even possible some switching spurs as one long time cast member once explained. They have looked at both, but found the cost just too high. In fact I've heard it has been consider a few times, just removing the Epcot line.

They have had all kinds of "plans" for Disney Transportation over the years... I think the issue is technology is changing. Now they might be hoping in 15 years they can just do fully automated buses.

Reason for not adding a 4th monorail resort or a resort area between the TTC and Epcot is the monorail system can't handle the extra load. More trains would be required and even possible some switching spurs as one long time cast member once explained. They have looked at both, but found the cost just too high. In fact I've heard it has been consider a few times, just removing the Epcot line.

They have had all kinds of "plans" for Disney Transportation over the years... I think the issue is technology is changing. Now they might be hoping in 15 years they can just do fully automated buses.
I don’t see why they would need more trains. They don’t use all of the trains at once anyways.

I meant .. just adding a hotel onto the existing line. No new trains needed .. just a stop along the way to/from Epcot. Just build a station.

I could see them removing the Epcot line, but I guess my point was I am surprised they aren't adding a hotel along that long line (how many miles?) between TTC and Epcot. (or . .like they had rumored .. building a hotel in the parking lot of Epcot).

But if the Skyliner is a hit and moves people a lot faster and efficiently than the monorail, I'll guess we'll see that expand first over a 5th gate.

Many are asking "how will Disney respond" to Universal's 4th gate?"

It seems like they are running out of bows in their quiver. Their biggest weapon was going to be Galaxy's Edge and we are seeing how that is working out. Disney had to admit Tuesday that domestic parks are DOWN in attendance.

Harry Potter this is not. Universal seems to have the buzz around whatever they do these days no matter how much new stuff Disney builds. Disney had better start luring people with more affordable vacation packages to compete.

Disney had to admit Tuesday that domestic parks are DOWN in attendance.

Whats the reasoning for that?

star wars is only half open?
did they finally price people out?
people staying away because of anticipated crowds?
AP blackouts?

I have a feeling its all of those things.

I don't care what they add to the parks. I"m a massive Star Wars fan, our annual vacations to WDW are done because of the price increases. We'll move those to every other year from now on.

Whats the reasoning for that?

star wars is only half open?
did they finally price people out?
people staying away because of anticipated crowds?
AP blackouts?

I have a feeling its all of those things.

I don't care what they add to the parks. I"m a massive Star Wars fan, our annual vacations to WDW are done because of the price increases. We'll move those to every other year from now on.
Iger cited "fear of overcrowding" for attendance being down. So...why is it down at WDW, too? People putting off vacations until Galxy's Edge is open? A land/expansion that cleary doesn't have a whole lot of people biting at the bit to visit. Seems like the whole country/world is finding all kinds of reasons NOT to show up.

When is this supposed to magically "pop" and start bringing in hordes of people? When Rise of the Resistance finally opens?

Iger cited "fear of overcrowding" for attendance being down. So...why is it down at WDW, too? People putting off vacations until Galxy's Edge is open? A land/expansion that cleary doesn't have a whole lot of people biting at the bit to visit. Seems like the whole country/world is finding all kinds of reasons NOT to show up.

When is this supposed to magically "pop" and start bringing in hordes of people? When Rise of the Resistance finally opens?
we have to wait and see what SWGE does for WDW. It definitely will bring more people to DHS (that were skipping the park or spending half a day there.

"fear of overcrowding" isn't just about SWGE. "crowds crowds crowds" is all people care about. There are websites that people PAY to help them plan around the crowds.

Disney has to walk a thin line --- if the parks are too overcrowded to enjoy the rides or a new land, bad word of mouth will spread and people wont' see it as destination. People won't spend money if it is too crowded to eat or get into the shop to buy a lightsaber. (I mean you already are seeing that with SWGE . .needing a RESERVATION to buy a $200 toy .. or to spend 45 minutes in a bar).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter