film, carry on or check in?

We just returned from Disney x-mas day, and one of the airports we traveled from was already x-raying luggage. I didn't know it and and packed all my film in a checked bag. Was worried when I took my film in to be developed, but all was well this time. I asked about this and was told by a technician that we should ALWAYS carry-on our film now. AND that film would be OK for about 5 scans, but after more then that, there could be some damage to it. Hope this helps some.

Damage to the film from the carry on scanners is cumulative, it is best to ask to have it hand checked so it does not go into the scanner at all. Far worse, btw, is exposure to extream temp. changes.
With the new scanners for checked luggage it can be obliterated after only one scan and lead lined bags do not help, they just up the power of the scanner.
As Peachgirl said, carry it on, I will add, always ask for a hand check.

Gail, Thanks for the extra info. I don't think I would have thought of asking to have it hand checked!

You are more than welcome. Always happy to help. I was a photo lab manager and learned a lot. Now, I have gone digital and don't miss film at all. :)

I will add, always ask for a hand check.

An interesting thing regarding this point...

We changed planes in St. Louis. When leaving Tulsa, we had our film hand checked, no problem. No problems leaving MCO either. But on both our trips through security at St. Louis when my sister asked to have the film hand checked the security people told her to leave it in the bag and wouldn't hand check it. I wasn't happy about it, but there wasn't much we could do. I might add that the St. Louis airport didn't impress me much. Three times before they began boarding they announced that we could all put our ID's away because " We don't check ID's before boarding at St. Louis". I found that very strange too! I agree, it's best to have it hand checked and I don't know why they wouldn't.

peachgirl, I have to agree with you about STL airport. It is 45 min. from our home and is usually where we have to fly out of. I think it has to be one of the most "unfriendly to it's customers" airports that I've been in. I think when you apply for any job there the first question they must ask is "can you be rude, unfriendly and completely unhelpful to all travelers?" If you say yes, you're hired!!!:p

I just returned last night from Orlando. From what the airport told us - the only film you need to worry about is 800 speed or higher (most people use 100-400 speed). We put ours through the X-ray (as carry-on) with no problems. They recommend you pack it in your carry-on as the scans for checked luggage using the new machines are much stronger.

Marne

I just returned last night from Orlando. From what the airport told us - the only film you need to worry about is 800 speed or higher (most people use 100-400 speed). We put ours through the X-ray (as carry-on) with no problems. They recommend you pack it in your carry-on as the scans for checked luggage using the new machines are much stronger.

That is not exactly true anymore. They are using higher powered x ray machines at carry on stations. The exposure to the film is cumulative and the more it is exposed to this the more degradation in prints occurs. They do tell you this because they do not want to take the time to hand check. I went through ongoing (aka endless) taining for film, film handling, film proccessing and printing and when Fuji tells me to hand check, I will take their word over that of some xray tech at the airport. :)
Fuji knows film, security at the airport knows, I hope, security. :)

Sorry for the length of this (in advance):
This is from the Passporter Newsletter I got yesterday.
(QUOTE)
While this newsletter is too brief to contain a full primer on airline check-in and security procedures, we hope these tips on hot topics for vacation travelers will help ease your mind and prepare for your journey. Note: These recommendations may become outdated very quickly, so always check with your airline a few days before you depart, to learn the latest conditions for your trip. A trip to the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) Travelers & Consumer Web site at http://www.tsa.dot.gov/public/theme_home1.jsp is also a great idea. Also, note that this article focuses on domestic travel within the U.S. Requirements for travel outside the U.S. will be different, and are generally beyond the scope of this article.

Documentation: Have government-issued photo ID for every traveler 17 and older, and keep it handy, as you’ll have to show it frequently. If children traveling with you have the same last name, the parent or guardian’s photo ID will be enough. It can help to have a birth certificate for each child, but it’s rarely necessary. We suggest passports for all adults and children who expect to travel on a regular basis, as there’s no better form of ID out there.

At many airports you’ll be required to present a boarding pass at the passenger security checkpoint. Tickets, confirmation slips and itineraries may not be accepted. Some airlines now let you print your boarding pass at their Web site, and you can now often get a boarding pass at curbside check-in and/or at e-ticket check-in kiosks in the terminal, as well as at the regular ticket counter.

Passenger Security Checkpoint – This is the checkpoint between the main terminal and the gate area. Did you know it’s illegal to bring any prohibited item to the checkpoint? While you may have the option to dispose of the item(s), security personnel also have the option to arrest you! If circumstances allow, you can leave the security line to put the prohibited item in your car or make arrangements with the airline to transport it as checked baggage. However, if you choose to abandon the item at the checkpoint, you can’t get it back.

It’s Not a Joke - Of course, we’ve known for years that it’s illegal to joke about bombs, hijacking and related matters at the airport. Be sure your children (especially pre-teens and teens) know this, too. One adolescent joke at the checkpoint can put a real crimp in your vacation.

Passing Through the Scanners – The metal detectors are more sensitive than they used to be. Here are some of the items that routinely trip the alarms: Small change, keys, eyeglasses, belt buckles, jewelry and body piercings, underwire bras, surgical implants (orthopedic screws and plates included), shoes with metal shanks (you often won’t know this until the alarm goes off), and clothes with metal studs or buttons. If you’re wearing a coat you’ll have to remove it and send it through the X-ray scanner. We suggest transferring all items in your pockets into a purse, waist pack, briefcase, zippered coat pocket or similar item before your reach the checkpoint, to speed your progress through the line. If you know your shoes will trip the alarm, remove them and run them through X-ray. And who needs an uncomfortable underwire poking into her ribs anyway? Consider a sports bra, and travel in greater comfort.

Traveling with Children - It pays to mentally prepare your children for the inspection. They’ll have to put their toys and other prized possessions through the X-ray machine, and pass through the metal detector. Infants and small children are subject to inspection, just like the grownups. An unexpected wanding or pat-down can be traumatic for everyone in the family, so be sure children know what to expect, as it can happen to them, too. If they’re big enough to walk through the scanners unaided, encourage them to do it, but also consider the chaos if your child dashes off on his/her own (send one adult through first, followed by children, with an adult bringing up the rear).

Inspections and Privacy – Inspections and screenings are mandatory. If you refuse to comply with an inspection, you’re off the flight. You may not even be warned of this possibility before it happens. If you have concerns about passing through the scanners, talk to the inspector prior to entering. Passengers with small children, disabilities, medical implants, religious concerns, and the like will have a much easier time if they tell the inspectors up-front, and discuss the best way to proceed through inspection. Passengers with medical pacemakers are advised to carry the appropriate ID with them (although it’s not required). You can request a private inspection, should an inspection be necessary. The inspectors are trained to respect religious and medical sensitivities, and same-gender inspectors will be provided except in extraordinary circumstances. Individuals with body piercings may want to remove them prior to travel, as the jewelry will have to be removed (in privacy) if it trips the scanners. You can read much more about these issues at the TSA Travelers & Consumers web page - http://www.tsa.dot.gov/public/theme_home1.jsp .

Film – The TSA has a separate fact sheet on this topic. Professional and advanced amateur photographers may want to read the entire thing, at http://www.tsa.dot.gov/public/display?theme=56 . Here are a few key points for all travelers:

Do not pack film in your checked luggage; the screening equipment can damage undeveloped film.

The X-ray equipment at the passenger security checkpoints (carry-on items) should be safe for film speeds lower than 800 ASA/ISO, but each time a roll of film passes through the equipment, more damage can be done. Even the TSA warns that five trips through the scanners are more than any roll of film should receive. The scanners may not be strong enough to ruin "regular" film, but they can degrade image quality, especially after multiple scans, and can hurt many special-purpose films (medical, professional photo, etc.).

You can ask that film be hand-inspected. The TSA asks that you re-package film in clear plastic containers to speed the inspection, and recommends against using lead-lined bags for carrying film, as these bags will still have to be opened and inspected. (Lead lined bags may still be advisable for trips out of the U.S., as procedures differ in other countries.)

To avoid these complications, we suggest you buy and process your film while on vacation. All Disney resorts and the Disney Cruise Line have next-day processing services, or you can mail exposed film to a processing lab. This may cost more, but those photo opportunities can be priceless. Once the film has been developed, it can’t be damaged by the scanners. (QUOTE)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter