Fire at Disneyland Hotel - Grand Californian

DaveO said:
But the news report I saw stated that the stress was an 'injury'. This leads one to believe someone is already looking for a lawsuit if they told a reporter or the police they were 'injured'.

For that they SHOULD be ashamed.

Dave
I believe the person who talked to reporters about the two resort guests that were treated at the scene was Rob Doughty, the resort's V.P. of communications, not the actual guests themselves.

One guest was treated for a strained back, and the other was treated for symptoms of stress.

I don't think anyone has done anything they should be ashamed of - YET. :sunny:

I'm sure everyone got their room comped for that night, or some free breakfasts or something.... which is what I would expect for a completely ruined night's sleep :-) Thank God no one was hurt. I'll be checking in to the Disneyland Hotel next Tues. I will have to check out the GC if I have some time

I just caught the end of a news story - a disney hotel tree caught on fire and they had to evacuate 2000 guests - all is well, but I was curious which hotel it was.

:sunny:

It was the Grand Californian at DL, not WDW....I saw it on foxnews.com....sounds like it could have been a lot worse than what it was....

Just saw a blurb on the news.... Looked like at the GC hotel.. the Christmas tree...

Can anyone comfirm???

I saw it on the news too. They said the Christmas tree in the lobby caught fire after light bulbs were changed. Over 2000 people evacuated (at 3am!) no one was hurt ant they were back in their rooms 2 hours later!

This was just shown on the Cleveland news, and said the "cause of the fire is under investigation." Pretty scary. Glad no one was hurt!

Heard on the news that some were relocated. Glad to hear no one was injured though :grouphug:

Our news said it happened at 3 am.... my heart goes out to all those asleep and were awakened to such a scary thing....

fire?did someone say fire,i'm here?
ok here's the scoop,
small x mas tree fire deemed elertical fire in nature,was put out very quickly after the fire dept arrival.apparently only seconds after work crews changed some of the burned out blubs on the tree and kicked the power back on it burst into flames,there were 2 reported injurys minor and they did'nt not go to the hospital.one a lower back strain and the other a anxiety attack.water damage to the floor lobby of the hotel was said to be minimal.

They had just changed bulbs on the main tree in the lobby of the Grand Californian, turned the tree back on and the wiring began to smoke and caught fire and set off all the sprinklers and alarm in the main lobby.

Our friends are staying there. They said Disney handled the situation really well. Their only complaint was being out of their rooms for over 3 hours in the middle of the night with young kids, and that they were so exhausted that they were not able to get up early to be at the parks at 8 AM like planned, so they lost valuable park time before the masses of crowds really arrived. They were comped the night's room, but were still disappointed that they were not given extra fast passes for what they missed early yesterday morning.

Thanks for the info. I just caught the end of the story on CNN the other day at my mom's house and thought it looked like the Grand Californian. Glad everyone is ok!

My family was there for our own "California Adventure" on Wednesday morning. Disney handled the situation very well and the resort guests in our area were calm and followed the fire evacuation plan that was posted on the wall in the hallway. When we evacuated the building we ended up in Downtown Disney. We were not there for more than a few minutes when we were ushered into California Adventure. The restaurant at Soarin' was opened for us, then a Disney rep came in to let us know the Hyperion Theater was open and the chairs were more comfortable. Disney provided blankets, strollers, wheelchairs, diapers, pacifiers, coffee, hot chocolate, tea and pastries within a short amount of time. We heard people making special requests such as soy milk and those were handled quickly. I was just glad no one as seriously hurt. I applaud Disney for their prompt response to this emergency. We were told the tree in the lobby had caught on fire and that the sprinkler system went off flooding the lobby. Their first concern was for the guests' safety so we were not allowed back in until the water was cleaned up. I took pictures of the lobby beginning when we returned to our room but if anyone has pictures of the actual fire I would like one for my scrapbook. The ceiling was charred and there were burned spots on the carpet. The flooring and subfloor were quickly removed and a new frame was built to bring the floor level with the tiled area. A new subfloor was built then padding and a temporary carpet were in by Saturday night.

Great job Disney!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter