• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

First and probably last Disney cruise.

gisele2

DIS Veteran
DVC Gold
I invited my 22 years old son to a seven nights eastern Caribbean Disney Cruise on The Fantasy . We were celebrating his University graduation.

First the ship is beautiful and you feel safe. They take care of everything, they even take you on the port to your excursions.
Second the CM and the servers are wonderful. They make you feel special.
Third the food is just ok , wonderful at Remy but pricey.

I did not choose the best cabin. It was at the AFT and there is a lot of rattling. But we slept well anyway.

But what surprised us is the lack of activities for adults, or lack of different activities. You can attend Trivia , Bingo, DVC sessions, alcohol tasting, crafts (not really enjoyable) and thats it. The gym is tiny, the spinning class were without music, so less enjoyable even if the CM did all they could to motivate us.

There are not a lot of outdoor space with unobstructed view of the sea either. We felt like adult were only there to relax without their kids.

This was my fourth cruise in 2 years and I much prefer for an adult audience Virgin. But I do see the appeal of Disney Cruise for families, it is just too late for me.

Just wanted to add that we took the DCL cruise bus from BRV to port and at the end from port to airport and it was really worth every penny.

Last edited:
Thanks for your review. I always read how adults loved the Disney cruise experience so it's good to hear a different point of view. I always considered disney, but every time I look at their pricing vs all the perks I can get on any other line, I could never pull the trigger.

Virgin looks great - except I dislike electronic/trance and hip hop genres of music- and from the reviews I've been reading on FB and cruise critic, I hear that's most of what's playing at really loud volumes all day - DJ at the pool, in common areas, etc. :guilty:

Very fair review, I can definitely see why DCL wouldn't appeal to everyone. Glad you were able to give it a try! It is a very safe option and that does have some mass appeal, but of course, everyone is different.

Thanks for your review. I always read how adults loved the Disney cruise experience so it's good to hear a different point of view. I always considered disney, but every time I look at their pricing vs all the perks I can get on any other line, I could never pull the trigger.

Virgin looks great - except I dislike electronic/trance and hip hop genres of music- and from the reviews I've been reading on FB and cruise critic, I hear that's most of what's playing at really loud volumes all day - DJ at the pool, in common areas, etc. :guilty:
Virgin is a better value for your money. The music is loud around the pool on Virgin, but not elsewhere. The food is incredible, the drinks are cheaper and better then on Disney. You can dine at the time you want. For a solo traveler , you can dine alone if you want. Lots of little places to hang out. The fitness classes are incredible.

Also the crew is really wonderfull.

I found the same. I did a Disney cruise prekids and was honestly, pretty bored. Sat and read a lot but I can do that on a much cheaper cruiseline (and I thought the food was much better on other lines 🙈).

Now that I have a 3 year old, it's Disney or nothing but know years from now, we will "age out" and try other lines again.

If you have the ability, I think its always good to try different things just to see :)

Virgin is a better value for your money. The music is loud around the pool on Virgin, but not elsewhere. The food is incredible, the drinks are cheaper and better then on Disney. You can dine at the time you want. For a solo traveler , you can dine alone if you want. Lots of little places to hang out. The fitness classes are incredible.

Also the crew is really wonderfull.
I really hope that Virgin starts to expand their itinerary offerings more because I really want to try them, but we're not always excited to go to the Caribbean and it's not realistic for us to fly to Europe all the time. I hope Virgin starts doing an Alaska or Mexican Riviera (West Coast) itinerary sometime.

I really hope that Virgin starts to expand their itinerary offerings more because I really want to try them, but we're not always excited to go to the Caribbean and it's not realistic for us to fly to Europe all the time. I hope Virgin starts doing an Alaska or Mexican Riviera (West Coast) itinerary sometime.
YESSSSS
I put this in a feedback survey lol

To be fair, this is a Disney ship. It wasn’t designed for adult travelers with no kids in their travel party.

I’m grateful for the adult-only features, but catering to childless adults is not the raison d’etre of these ships.

To be fair, this is a Disney ship. It wasn’t designed for adult travelers with no kids in their travel party.

I’m grateful for the adult-only features, but catering to childless adults is not the raison d’etre of these ships.
Yes, it is. I think I would have love the Disney cruise when my four kids were little.

Post COVID DCL has really been lacking in the adult activities/entertainment. Initially I got it, short staffed, social distancing, additional protocols, etc. They eliminated the club host position so they could have more staff responsible for it (at less pay and not nearly as good). One exception was Fantasy last August where AJ was the club host and fantastic. Entertainment still ended at 11 though.

It’s been long enough, they should be back to normal by now.

Post COVID DCL has really been lacking in the adult activities/entertainment. Initially I got it, short staffed, social distancing, additional protocols, etc. They eliminated the club host position so they could have more staff responsible for it (at less pay and not nearly as good). One exception was Fantasy last August where AJ was the club host and fantastic. Entertainment still ended at 11 though.

It’s been long enough, they should be back to normal by now.
They had adult activities on the Magic when I sailed a few weeks ago.

I think it really comes down to what you're looking for an expecting. I've been on Disney cruises pre- and post-COVID and didn't find the offerings to be that radically different. That being said, we love going to trivia and did that quite a bit, and also went to the beverage tastings and really enjoyed those. We've also gone to movies and that's always fun. We also enjoy just hanging out on deck with a drink and a book. For me, a cruise is mostly just forced relaxation - no one can call me or reach me by email, so I read and do activities and let myself unwind. We don't usually do anything after dinner (we have late seating), and aren't looking for a lot of nightlife options. We sometimes run on the promenade deck but don't use the fitness center often. If you're used to the Virgin voyages and what they offer, Disney is definitely a different vibe. But I haven't found DCL to be utterly lacking in activities for adults traveling without children.

I invited my 22 years old son to a seven nights eastern Caribbean Disney Cruise on The Fantasy . We were celebrating his University graduation.

First the ship is beautiful and you feel safe. They take care of everything, they even take you on the port to your excursions.
Second the CM and the servers are wonderful. They make you feel special.
Third the food is just ok , wonderful at Remy but pricey.

I did not choose the best cabin. It was at the AFT and there is a lot of rattling. But we slept well anyway.

But what surprised us is the lack of activities for adults, or lack of different activities. You can attend Trivia , Bingo, DVC sessions, alcohol tasting, crafts (not really enjoyable) and thats it. The gym is tiny, the spinning class were without music, so less enjoyable even if the CM did all they could to motivate us.

There are not a lot of outdoor space with unobstructed view of the sea either. We felt like adult were only there to relax without their kids.

This was my fourth cruise in 2 years and I much prefer for an adult audience Virgin. But I do see the appeal of Disney Cruise for families, it is just too late for me.

Just wanted to add that we took the DCL cruise bus from BRV to port and at the end from port to airport and it was really worth every penny.

Going with my dad in November on the Fantasy

In all honesty one of two things I wish DCL would do is offer a little more variety in activities but I guess that's the tradeoff on going to a more family focused cruise (fine by me since I'm not much of a nightclub or gambling person). If they don't have any activities I like; I'll hit the pool or movie theater. I personally love meeting characters & other photo ops, so that helps fill time as well.

I also wish the bars were open just an hour later. We like to get late seating for dining but doing that leaves hardly any time to get to one of their more pg-13 pieces of entertainment & get a drink.

One thing I loved doing on the Dream that I plan on with the Fantasy is getting a pass to the Rainforest Room. Being a morning person, I would use their steam rooms, sauna & hot tubs, and stone loungers then get a late breakfast.

Going to push back a little on the sea views because for me the pool decks all had excellent views, but maybe we just have different expectations. Maybe you're referring to the seating? If so, i would be inclined to agree (but no matter what almost everyone is going to snatch those up anyway! 🤣).

Quality of food is overstated but from what I've observed in cruise videos, I think what people tend to mean is the food doesn’t feel like the company is trying to push you into extra cost dining. Remy is no doubt going to be top tier (better be for that price). But the MDR food is still (usually) decent enough that I don't feel like I'm missing out even if I do want to experience Remy at some point.

Anyway just my two cents on where we agree & disagree.

This would make me want to jump overboard. For real. :headache::headache::crazy::crazy:
I'd much rather sing Hakuna Matata and tolerate 1000 children anytime.
To each his own. :goodvibes:thumbsup2

Going with my dad in November on the Fantasy

In all honesty one of two things I wish DCL would do is offer a little more variety in activities but I guess that's the tradeoff on going to a more family focused cruise (fine by me since I'm not much of a nightclub or gambling person). If they don't have any activities I like; I'll hit the pool or movie theater. I personally love meeting characters & other photo ops, so that helps fill time as well.

I also wish the bars were open just an hour later. We like to get late seating for dining but doing that leaves hardly any time to get to one of their more pg-13 pieces of entertainment & get a drink.

One thing I loved doing on the Dream that I plan on with the Fantasy is getting a pass to the Rainforest Room. Being a morning person, I would use their steam rooms, sauna & hot tubs, and stone loungers then get a late breakfast.

Going to push back a little on the sea views because for me the pool decks all had excellent views, but maybe we just have different expectations. Maybe you're referring to the seating? If so, i would be inclined to agree (but no matter what almost everyone is going to snatch those up anyway! 🤣).

Quality of food is overstated but from what I've observed in cruise videos, I think what people tend to mean is the food doesn’t feel like the company is trying to push you into extra cost dining. Remy is no doubt going to be top tier (better be for that price). But the MDR food is still (usually) decent enough that I don't feel like I'm missing out even if I do want to experience Remy at some point.

Anyway just my two cents on where we agree & disagree.
Remy is absolutely top tier and if you're interested I highly recommend it. Brunch is great, dinner is exceptional.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter