First time flying home on Frontier, check in ???

joxer1014

DIS Veteran
This time leaving WDW we are not flying home on SW. We had to book Frontier b/c of the flight schedule. Last SW flight home non stop was 230pm and Frontier is 1115 pm. I know that Frontier does not participate in RAC so we have to load our bags on the ME bus. What I would like to know is how good or bad is the check in line at the airport for Frontier? One plus for us hopefully is the later departure time. We were so used to just dropping the bags at the RAC desk in the morning in the past and hitting the parks for the last day. We already have seats assigned. Thoughts please. Thank you

I recently did the same, myself, not having flown Frontier, since it became an Ultra Low Cost Carrier (no frills). My flight departed late afternoon, on a weekday. The check-in line was rather long; however, they were very efficient at getting customers checked in with their bags - it did not take long to reach the counter. I can't imagine it taking more than 10 minutes, if that, to drop your bags.

Be prepared to bring your own snacks and beverages, unless you don't mind purchasing them onboard. The only complimentary beverage is tap water.

Since I paid extra for "The Works," I was able to board first and sit in one of the first three rows of seats, which had lots more legroom. "The Works" also permitted me to change or cancel with no fees; that allowed me to cancel and rebook at a lower fare.

All-in-all, I thought the experience was fine. Honestly, the part that I liked the least was the gate area used by Frontier; it was older and nowhere near as modern or loaded with food, beverage, and vendor locations, compared to the Southwest gates.. The seating areas at the gates were also much more limited.

The cockpit and cabin crew were very good, and the flight landed only slightly behind schedule, due to very bad weather that we had to fly around.

BTW, Frontier's fleet is on the newer side.

I would not hesitate to fly them again, even without RAC, if their schedule were better than Southwest's.

The lines aren’t usually too bad, but from where DME drops you off it’s the entire opposite end and the furthest counter to check in at so prepare for a hike. I don’t normally check a bag, but I think one of the last time I checked in it mentioned being able to check a bag at the kiosks. That might be airport dependent though.

At Ontario, Frontier has a bag drop line separate from the regular check-in line. I can’t remember if they had one at MCO or not since it’s been awhile since I flew out of Orlando with them. Since they are a smaller airline, they will leave their counter unstaffed in between flights. For example, the last flight I took with them departed at 10:55pm, but they didn’t open their counter for check-in or bag drop until 9pm.

Pretty much every Frontier flight I’ve been on has had some issue with someone sitting in the wrong seat and refusing to move. My last flight had a family with 6 kids that insisted they sit next to each other. I’ve done The Works every time I’ve flown with them which includes priority boarding so it’s never been an issue for me. Paying for a carry-on also get you priority boarding. Just something to be aware of.

Frontier is a fine airline and I wouldn’t hesitate to fly with them short haul. Their seats are a bit too uncomfortable for me to handle flying with them long haul.

One other side note with Frontier @ MCO... if you're looking to grab something to eat at MCO and are used to the nice food court in the Southwest terminal, the one in the Frontier terminal area is badly in need of rehab and the food choices are much more limited. (And the last time I was there, "Burger" King had no burgers, just chicken and impossible whoppers + the lines were really long)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter