First time to Japan

Steven G

DIS Veteran
we are going on an adventures by Disney trip to Japan in June 2025 next year, and want to add on a Disneyland stay after.

I see how difficult it is to get rooms or packages.

I was thinking of staying at Hilton Tokyo bay, which is right next to Toy Story hotel. I assume we can use monorail. Also, I would then just need to get park tickets and any reservations.

What am I missing out on doing so, and is this a good plan for a first timer?

Why not plan to book your nights at the Hilton, but also plan out a "parallel stay" of room and/or package at one of the TDR resorts several months before you go? It can be difficult, but once you understand when and how to book, it's very doable. Then if you get the TDR rooms you want, you can cancel Hilton. And if you don't get the rooms you want, you have a very nice place on the monorail to stay and enjoy the parks and restaurants. The packages are quite expensive, but come with some perks that are quite nice - like guaranteed access to Fantasy Springs for a day.

FYI - your ABD trip will include transportation from your last hotel to one of the Tokyo airports for your trip home - OR, they'll take you to Tokyo Disney instead. Then you need to take care of your own transportation from TDR to the airport. Good luck with your planning. You have lots of time to get educated on the rooms, packages, and tickets.

We stayed at the Hilton Tokyo Bay on our first trip in 2017 and will again this June. We liked it so much that we are returning. They are also renovating rooms currently so that by next year it should have a refreshed feel.

June is also generally not a busy month at TDR, so not having the early entry 15 minutes is not going to be a deal breaker.

One thing we noted is that both the Hilton and Sheraton room rates were fluctuating a lot! We kept rebooking multiple times since December and are now saving about 6000 ¥ per night compared to our first booking.

I do agree that it makes sense to plan for the Hilton as a backup and then if you can get an official hotel move there.

I like these two websites for good info on TDR:
https://www.disneytouristblog.com/
https://tdrexplorer.com/
The TDR Explorer also has a very good e-book guide book for TDR. I found it very informative even after I had been there once before.

thanks for your advice, I will check the links. Out of the hotels, I think Toy Story Hotel would be best for us, although Mira Costa looks amazing to stay at. I think the package is not good for us, since we want a 3 day stay (one day recovery from ABD trip, and 2 days at the parks), so it's book hotel and park separately for us.

I am glad that June isn't considered busy. I am glad to hear others like the Hilton!

I assume the answer is yes, but if I stay at the Hilton, can I at least visit the Toy Story hotel lobby and grounds? That would be nice to do on our recovery day at least for a little bit.

I assume the answer is yes, but if I stay at the Hilton, can I at least visit the Toy Story hotel lobby and grounds?
As far as I know, the Toy Story Hotel is still for guests only.

But there is a lot to explore around the Tokyo Disney Resort. the Miracosta is definitely worth a visit. Take a round trip on the monorail. Explore Ixpiari and the Bon Voyage store (TDR souvenirs). Ixpiari is a very nice shopping mall with a Disney Store (different merchandise from US and from park stores).

I appreciate your suggestions, hopefully by next year they let people visit the toy story hotel.

It's been like that since it opened, which was a while ago. I wouldn't count on it. It's too photogenic and draws crowds.

I was thinking about this some more. How about this plan:
1) ABD is over, I ask ABD to drive me over to Hilton, where I stay one night, and relax and explore the mall, monorail ,etc.
2) I then transfer to the toy story hotel (practically next door) the next morning with the 2 night package "deal", which gives me 3 days in the parks (1 at DL, 2 at DS).
3) After the package is over, the next morning we leave back home.

I am looking at packages for toy story hotel, and it doesn't look like they are selling out instantly, so I should be able to get next June (2025)?

Alternatively:
Just try to get Toy Story Hotel for 3 nights (without package), and buy tickets separately.

And if I can't get the hotel:
Back to original plan at staying at Hilton.

I know the package is over priced, but I do like the convience and the "guaranteed" premier access.

I was thinking about this some more. How about this plan:
1) ABD is over, I ask ABD to drive me over to Hilton, where I stay one night, and relax and explore the mall, monorail ,etc.
2) I then transfer to the toy story hotel (practically next door) the next morning with the 2 night package "deal", which gives me 3 days in the parks (1 at DL, 2 at DS).
3) After the package is over, the next morning we leave back home.

I am looking at packages for toy story hotel, and it doesn't look like they are selling out instantly, so I should be able to get next June (2025)?

Alternatively:
Just try to get Toy Story Hotel for 3 nights (without package), and buy tickets separately.

And if I can't get the hotel:
Back to original plan at staying at Hilton.

I know the package is over priced, but I do like the convience and the "guaranteed" premier access.
1) Where would you stay the final night if you do the TS package? The package and parks are 3 days/2 nights. Seems like you're either missing a final day of parks on the package, or you might need another hotel to stay the night before you leave (unless I'm missing something!). If it were us, I think we'd do the 2-night package, and go right to TS hotel from ABD. You'd probably get there in the morning and could enjoy the parks that day#1. Enjoy days 2 and 3 - then get the Hilton for your final night, after the package is ending and you need a place to sleep before going home.

2) The packages are available many weeks prior to 'hotel only' bookings, so if you pass on the package, you'll have to hope for the hotel being available later. But if you have the Hilton as a backup for the entire stay, you do have a nice option if the TS hotel res doesn't work out.

Good luck with your planning. It's quite different from planning at WDW or DL trip, that's for sure!

By the way, love your avatar, @thanxfornoticin !!

I see what you mean... my worries is that we would be exhausted after ABD trips (we typically are on other ABD trips), and would appreciate a down day before we hit the parks, when we went to ABD France and England and did the Disneyland addon there, we did same thing (took rest day after ABD trip was over before hitting the parks.) That worked well.

So this means if I want to do this, I would need 4 hotel nights after trip is over:

1) One night rest day (hilton)
2) One night after DL day (toy story, or hilton if I can't get)
3) One night after DS day #1 (toy story, or hilton if I can't get)
4) One night after DS day #2 (back to hilton)

Ok, I'm glad I asked!! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter