First WDW trip, first flight, help planning. WDW and fishing

Sylv09

Earning My Ears
My husband and I are planning a trip for us 2 sometime in February/March. Disneyland closed 2 weeks before what was to be our honeymoon trip to Disneyland. This will be our first time flying, both are terrified but we’re itching for Disney and With Disneyland closed, this is our only hope. I want a trip we both can enjoy so if there is a hotel near Disney as well as fishing that would be great. It’s my dream to visit WDW and his to fish in Florida so I’m trying to make the magic happen for both of us.

We are planning on spending 1 day at Magic Kingdom and 1 day in Hollywood studios. I have plenty of experience with Disneyland but I’m at a loss on planning WDW. I know nothing about booking flights, rental cars, the fast pass system, just everything all together. I’m a budgeting type person and love saving money on Disney trips. What are the best sites to save on booking flights? I want to be sure we sit together. Also for car rentals.
Does WDW allow for backpacks so that we can pack snacks?
Are there fishing spots nearby so that we can stay at the same hotel then entire trip?
Also what will the weather be like around that time? We’re coming from Arizona so we’re used to dry heat.
Any other tips or advice is welcome.

You're going to have an amazing time. I grew up at Disneyland and took my first WDW trip in my 50's.
We are planning on spending 1 day at Magic Kingdom and 1 day in Hollywood studios. I have plenty of experience with Disneyland but I’m at a loss on planning WDW.
I suggest you also see Epcot. And you will love Animal Kingdom. Is there a reason you will only go to 2 parks?

I know nothing about booking flights, rental cars, the fast pass system, just everything all together. I’m a budgeting type person and love saving money on Disney trips. What are the best sites to save on booking flights? I want to be sure we sit together. Also for car rentals.
At the moment there are no fast passes.

I have found that booking flights directly is best. Check if Delta flies from your area. You can book seats together. I'm a frequent flyer and Southwest makes me nervous - I don't like the way they assign seats. I say, spend a little more for the piece of mind.

You will rent from the airport - MCO. Again, it might be best to book directly from the website. And use a major rental company for piece of mind. Alamo, Enterprise, Hertz. Even Budget is reliable.

Check Expedia for fight/car rental deals.

Yes.
Are there fishing spots nearby so that we can stay at the same hotel then entire trip?
WDW has catch and release fishing on site.
Check out Close Encounters Fishing Charters. But there are plenty of places to fish within driving distance. I'll offer some suggestions if you like.

And you can stay in the same hotel the whole trip. Will you be staying on site or off site?
Also what will the weather be like around that time? We’re coming from Arizona so we’re used to dry heat.
No dry heat in central Florida. You can expect upper 60's to mid 70's at that time of year.

Hello, we aren’t planning a long vacation and with budgeting we decided 2 days at the parks were our max. I chose MK and HS because I was a huge fan of the tower of terror, we love rides. All our favorites are in HS. I also decided seeing the castle is a must, and so MK for sure. Another time for sure we will have to see the other parks but for now those were out “musts”

I will definitely love any suggestions on fishing. My husband has that on his bucket list so we have to check that off. I’m still looking at hotels. Currently I’ve got my sights on Fairfield inn & suites at the Marriott village.I’m still searching as this is our first trip beyond California. Any suggestions on inexpensive hotels are welcome as well. We’re not too picky.

That makes sense. One day in each park is going to leave you wanting more. You'll be back...

Does he want to do lake fishing or is he more interested in hitting the ocean. The Gulf is about 2 hours away. Some great fishing out there. The Atlantic coast is a little closer - maybe 90 minutes.

That hotel is in a great location. And a good price.

My husband and I are planning a trip for us 2 sometime in February/March. Disneyland closed 2 weeks before what was to be our honeymoon trip to Disneyland. This will be our first time flying, both are terrified but we’re itching for Disney and With Disneyland closed, this is our only hope. I want a trip we both can enjoy so if there is a hotel near Disney as well as fishing that would be great. It’s my dream to visit WDW and his to fish in Florida so I’m trying to make the magic happen for both of us.

We are planning on spending 1 day at Magic Kingdom and 1 day in Hollywood studios. I have plenty of experience with Disneyland but I’m at a loss on planning WDW. I know nothing about booking flights, rental cars, the fast pass system, just everything all together. I’m a budgeting type person and love saving money on Disney trips. What are the best sites to save on booking flights? I want to be sure we sit together. Also for car rentals.
In 2010 my significant other said he wanted to go to WDW for a week. A week!! Are you kidding me. What would we do with all that time? We went for three days. Fast forward to 2021. Since 2010 I have spent 137 days a WDW. I have NEVER been bored or at a loss for something to do. We love fine dining, the spas and the tours as well as all four of the parks and Disney Springs. You are going to love it and I bet have many more trips to the Most Magical Place on Earth through the years. (I have been to DL twice but much prefer WDW. Others may disagree.)

Per flying: A half of Dramamine will settle your stomach. I never flew until adulthood and still do this. Right now most flights are reasonable. If you are going to be flying in your adult life I would pick an airline and start in their rewards program and collect points. I am NOT a fan of credit cards with unpaid balances but some cards offer points when you sign up and your flight would be free. BUT you have to be very diligent about paying in full at the end of the month. With Delta you get free baggage with their card. I do not know about other cards 95 percent of the time I fly Delta.

Per hotel: If you are not staying on property try a room in the Disney Springs area. You need to make sure the place you choose has transportation and/or be willing to walk over to Disney Springs to get busses. We usually stay at Grand Floridian or Contemporary Resort but in May 2019 I went to WDW alone for the Garden Show and stayed at Pop Century. The price was very reasonable and I love it. The rooms are updated and pristine. You would be in the "Disney bubble" if you stayed here and have all the perks including transportation from the airport via the Magic Express Bus. Also there are great areas at Pop to purchase food items. Art of Animation is a short walk across Hourglass Lake Bridge for another place to find snacks and breakfast items. Plus Pop is on the new gondola line. (I packed protein bars, crackers, and other snacks and then purchased bottled water, fresh fruit, peanut butter, English muffins etc. All a bit more expensive than a grocery but far less than eating out three meals a day. I stick to one meal out per day when traveling alone.) Also Pop has a very nice laundry facility which allows to pack half of what you need. You can get a cocktail, sit by the pool, and do a load or two of laundry and save bag fees if the airline you choose has.)

You may also wish to consider a package vacation to WDW via Costco. We use Costco for our Adventure of Disney trips. The packages could save you on planning everything yourself. You will have to price compare. We shop at Costco all the time so we love the kickback merchandise cards and the better pricing as well as their "travelestias" do the planning for you.

I am no help on the fishing question. I hate fish!! lol. However, I do know the resorts have fishing excursions.

Another thought: Also think about a Disney credit card - again ONLY if you pay your full balance each month. When you take the card out you spend $500.00 in three months and get a $200.00 rebate. You then get percentages off at certain Disney restaurants for having the card. You also get other perks including points that you can turn into cash when you go to WDW. Use your Disney charge card to buy Disney gift cards. You get points on the charge card to redeem at Disney and use the gift cards to pay for everything while at Disney. You can also buy Disney gift cards at some groceries and then use the perks for gas. (I have a friend that buys their Disney cards at Sam's Club. You get $50.00 for $47.50 plus the kickback you get at Sams. I am not a Sam's Club member so I have not used. Also I know Target has some kind of deal. I do not have a Target charge card so I can't give you the particulars.)

Per car rentals: We use Costco to book car rentals most of the time. (We always check prices and then call Costco. Costco usually finds a better rate.) I would not pay for a car rental when you are at WDW. Use WDW free transportation. You have to pay to park the car. If you are leaving the Disney area to do other things there are car rental companies that will come and pick you up and take you to get the car. Car rentals in the Orlando area are expensive. 90 percent of the time we stay in the "Disney bubble" and never leave so we do not get a car. However, there may be other things you wish to see if you are not familiar with FL.

Fast Pass: Not available right now BUT you must register for your park days as there is 35% capacity with COVID.

Backpacks: You can take everything but the kitchen sink. Buy an insulated sleeve to put in backpack for foods that spoil. I make sandwich wraps to carry into the park. They have cheese and cold cuts at the onsite little grocery area. I take the wraps with me in my suitcase as I have found some places do not have. Don't forget you can split meals. In Magic Kingdom at Cosmic Rays they have a footlong dog with add your own toppings that is huge. At Pecos Bills they have build your own nachos which is also big enough to split. Don't forget water is free in all parks. You do not have to purchase $4.00 drinks unless you wish to. With the limited park hours due to Covid I personally would not want to spend a lot of time eating out. I would wait and eat in the evening and pack food for the parks.

Weather: I have been to WDW only once in February. The weather was beautiful. We have gone a few times in January where we have had some COLD days. Just check the 10 day forecast before leaving home. Go to Kohls or alike store to purchase your Disney sweatshirt to tie around your waist for chilly park days. You will find they are half the price of those at the parks.

Congratulations on your recent marriage. I think you will have a great time in FL as you start to build wonderful travel memories as a young couple. I remember those days so fondly. Planning, budgeting, and discussing, is half the fun.

I forgot to add. As you begin traveling as a young couple don't forget to sign-up for hotel reward programs. We stay at IHG properties most of the time and like their program. That being said we have not checked into other programs in years.

I think February is a great time to go, if only for the fact that flight prices are crazy cheap right now. We always check Google Flights for the cheapest flight price. I can't recommend it highly enough. Our flights for our upcoming trip in February were $78 round trip total for two people. That's an insane deal for a direct flight.

I did a quick check from LAX to MCO to see what prices look like coming out of California and found a nonstop flight for $103 / person for a February 1st departure and Feburary 8th return. That's a great deal right now! My guess is that no matter where you are traveling from you can get a good flight deal in the month of February.

Looking ahead, it looks like flight prices increase in March.

Nervous flyer. - pack or buy in the airport your favorite candy, skittles, m and m’s also a magazine or book to read. My first time flying, I didn’t realize how long it takes to get off the ground. They have to board the whole plane, push off from the gate, wait their turn on the runway, before you get in the air. Thus, reading the book kept me distracted until we were in the air and I was fine,

If you are coming from the PHX airport, check out Sun Country's website. If your days are flexible, you can get some pretty good rates.
Rental Cars - We usually stick with the "major names". You might find a better deal with some of the smaller ones, but make sure you read the reviews on them before you go with them.
Fishing - What sort of fishing does he want to do? Lake fishing? Ocean fishing? If Ocean fishing, check to see if there are any charters out of the Cocoa Beach/Cape Canaveral area.
Weather - It can vary quite a bit. About a month out from your start date, start looking at the weather forecast for the time you will be there. This will give you an idea of what the weather will be like while you are there. But then keep an eye on it for the next few weeks. About a week out from your start date, check the forecast again to see how things are looking. This should give you a pretty good idea of what the weather will be like while you are down there and you can make any adjustments to your packing list if needed.

WDW tips: make sure to make your park reservations as soon as possible. Sometimes HS fills up. Plan to get to the parks for rope-drop. This will allow you to get more rides done faster in the morning. Then, when the lines start getting long, you can take some time to just wander around the parks and take in the sights.

I really never recommend this as a lot of people enjoy the planning process and learn so much while doing it, but I think given your worries and how close this trip is - you may really want to consider using a Disney-approved travel planner. They will help SO much, and it doesn't cost you a dime. Honestly. I'm not sure what the policy is here on recommending travel agents but if you google "disney travel planner" a bunch of highly respected one will pop up.

PS - the single best advice I've EVER heard about being nervous to fly, is that the pilots want to get home to their families, too. For some reason, that's always soothed me to think of the two people flying the plane as putting their lives in their own hands, so of course we're all going to be ok. :)

This will be our first time flying, both are terrified

We just completed our 3rd WDW trip during Covid era. I strongly recommend Delta. They still block out seats on every plane, so you do not sit next to someone, that is not in your traveling group. We are very vigilant, we use handi-sanitizing wipes when, sitting at the airport seats, entering the plane seats, tray, ect, and using hand rails on airport trams. When we go into new hotel rooms, we use sanitizing wipes on all the high-touch areas in the room. In three trips, no one has become ill with the flu, cold, or covid.

Not everyone is careful. We keep an open eye for those, and avoid them. In one rare experience in WDW Pirates ride, a large family group was behind us. Most were not wearing their mask properly, and they were right on us, ignoring spacing markers. In three trips, that is the only occurrence where we had an issue. I was ready to make a big deal about them, but my wife, who is much smarter, just pulled us out of line, and got back into the end of line. It was the right move.

I'd reserve your room and tickets on the WDW website. This would include free airport transportation on Disney Magical Express (this ends in 2021).

No fastpasses right now. But research any Dining reservations, asap. some fill up at 60 days out. Youtube review is a good friend for this. HS is known for low food options, keep expectations low.

If you rent a car instead, just use the same sanitizing wipes when getting the car. Orlando has a TON of toll roads. so research and plan on it. Disney also charges a nightly fee for parking a car. So really decide if you NEED one, versus the cost of Uber/Lyft.

Wearing a mask impacts the trip. Be sure to have high quality, comfortable masks you really like. If your not used to wearing one 9+ hours a day, it is a factor to get used to.

Last edited:
I would make sure you have your Disney hotel reservation before making any flight plans. Then you know there won't be any issues with mismatch of dates. Use google flight search or websites like Orbitz to easily determine the best price/arrangements for flights. All airlines do not use those websites, so be sure you have not overlooked any airline. I would actually book the tickets using the airline website. On many airlines, for an extra fee you can select your seat assignments ahead of time so you know you will sit together. Some airlines like Southwest have 'open' seating so you don't get to pre-select your seats. Don't overlook nearby airports since sometimes you might find better prices/flight times that way. Always arrive EARLY to the airport (i.e. 2+ hours), especially if first time flying. Parking, check-in, TSA screening can take a long time and the wait times are unpredictable. You may have to walk a long distance from where you park to the terminal. Flights will leave without you if you aren't there so always best to arrive early.

Flights tend to be cheaper the further in advance you purchase, so for travel in Feb/March you may already see some of the best priced seats no longer available.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter