FL Travel Restrictions

pinkle

DIS Veteran
We were booked for wow April 28-May 5. Southwest just sent an email stating that because we are flying from an airport in New York State we would require a 14 day quarantine upon arrival :(

We were booked for wow April 28-May 5. Southwest just sent an email stating that because we are flying from an airport in New York State we would require a 14 day quarantine upon arrival :(

The virus is exploding in NYC, and people from the tri state area are trying to leave for other areas not yet affected as much, like Florida. But, they have the potential of spreading the virus, which necessitated Governor DeSantis to put the 14 day self quarantine in place for everyone coming from NY, NJ and CT. This will directly impact people traveling to Florida in the case that the parks do open at the end of the month.

Anyone leaving from these areas for Florida need to be aware of this and plan accordingly.

Yes the Governor of Fl said last night anyone flying to Florida from New Jersey, New York and Connecticut as of today will have to self quarantine for 14 days

Anyone traveling from NYC, NJ and CT needs to be aware that they will be required to self quarantine for 14 days.

I posted this last night on another thread:
Florida Governor DeSantis ordered all people coming from NYC area to Florida to self quarantine for 14 days.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/florida-...-from-nyc-area-to-self-quarantine-for-14-days

"As New York City and the surrounding area have become the new epicenter for the coronavirus pandemic in America, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis said Monday he is ordering anyone arriving on a flight from the New York region to submit to self-quarantine for two weeks.

DeSantis said in an address from his Tallahassee office that more than 100 such flights arrive daily in the state and he believes each contains at least one person infected with the new coronavirus.

He said he has been in contact with federal officials about curtailing such flights, but has not yet received a response. He said people will be screened when they arrived and told they must self-quarantine. He said those travelers will not be allowed to stay with family or friends, because that is one way the virus is spread.

He did not say specifically how the self-quarantine would be enforced, but he said “it is actually a criminal offense if you violate the quarantine order.” Florida law says it is a second-degree misdemeanor to violate a quarantine order that could result in a 60-day jail sentence.

DeSantis said people could be “held accountable if they buck the law.”
"
There's more to the article too, about how many people fled the city and how he's having enormous trouble trying to get people to stop gathering.
And today:
https://www.courthousenews.com/governor-asks-trump-to-declare-florida-a-disaster-area/
"Florida has begun restricting some people from entering the state.

DeSantis issued an executive order on Monday that requires those who travel to Florida from New York, New Jersey and Connecticut to self-isolate for 14 days upon entering the state.

He said there continues to be nearly 200 flights from those states into Florida.

“I would reckon that there is someone on every single flight that has Covid-19,” the governor said.

Those who do not self-isolate will be criminally prosecuted, DeSantis said.

“If they say they are going to stay with family, that is not self-quarantining,” he warned."

There is nothing yet about an end date. Not sure when that would be or how many people will be affected by this who are planning to travel to WDW in the next two months.

The virus is exploding in NYC, and people from the tri state area are trying to leave for other areas not yet affected as much, like Florida. But, they have the potential of spreading the virus, which necessitated Governor DeSantis to put the 14 day self quarantine in place for everyone coming from NY, NJ and CT. This will directly impact people traveling to Florida in the case that the parks do open at the end of the month.

Anyone leaving from these areas for Florida need to be aware of this and plan accordingly.

Anyone traveling from NYC, NJ and CT needs to be aware that they will be required to self quarantine for 14 days.

And today:
https://www.courthousenews.com/governor-asks-trump-to-declare-florida-a-disaster-area/

DeSantis issued an executive order on Monday that requires those who travel to Florida from New York, New Jersey and Connecticut to self-isolate for 14 days upon entering the state.

He said there continues to be nearly 200 flights from those states into Florida.

“I would reckon that there is someone on every single flight that has Covid-19,” the governor said.

“If they say they are going to stay with family, that is not self-quarantining,” he warned."

There is nothing yet about an end date. Not sure when that would be or how many people will be affected by this who are planning to travel to WDW in the next two months.
Did they say how this will be enforced? We're from NJ but flying from Pennsylvania and haven't received any notice 🤔

Did they say how this will be enforced? We're from NJ but flying from Pennsylvania and haven't received any notice 🤔
Not that I saw other than this blurb from the article I posted last night:

"He did not say specifically how the self-quarantine would be enforced, but he said “it is actually a criminal offense if you violate the quarantine order.” Florida law says it is a second-degree misdemeanor to violate a quarantine order that could result in a 60-day jail sentence.

DeSantis said people could be “held accountable if they buck the law.” "

It wouldn't be difficult to see where someone lives or flew from just by drivers licenses and flights. I don't know how they would screen or enforce it. If you're flying from Philly that's another hard hit area so I would keep an eye on it.

Not that I saw other than this blurb from the article I posted last night:

"He did not say specifically how the self-quarantine would be enforced, but he said “it is actually a criminal offense if you violate the quarantine order.” Florida law says it is a second-degree misdemeanor to violate a quarantine order that could result in a 60-day jail sentence.

DeSantis said people could be “held accountable if they buck the law.” "

It wouldn't be difficult to see where someone lives or flew from just by drivers licenses and flights. I don't know how they would screen or enforce it. If you're flying from Philly that's another hard hit area so I would keep an eye on it.
I mean if they didn't ban flights from California or Washington State, I can't see them banning Philly just yet, but I guess who knows. Theres so many holes in this policy... My brother in law and best friend are traveling with us and they live in Pennsylvania but work & spend most of their time in NJ 🤷🏾‍♀️ they are just as likely to catch the disease as I.

I guess we'll see what happens. We still have a few months before our scheduled trip if it happens

So although we are from Canada but fly from
Buffalo we would have to self quarantine? Maybe we should just fly from Ontario

And today:

Did they have dates. We travel April 28. Thanks. I feel like we won’t be going but I’m hopeful. We can’t fly from Toronto either I guess we could drive to Detroit and then fly

So is it just those traveling from NYC? The verbiage in the Governor's mandate says "tri-state area", which is usually only NYC/CT/NJ, but the mandate just says "New York, CT, NJ" and never specifies New York City. I have flights booked from Buffalo, which is upstate/western NY and 6-7 hours away from NYC, and Southwest sent me an email last night alerting me of the mandate and that I would need to quarantine for 14 days upon arrival.

IMO this isn't going to last to long, Florida is about to see a spike in cases, and they are trying to put a band-aid on to make it look like they are doing something. Something that will not really work.

I can't see them banning Philly just yet, but I guess who knows.
I don't know if they would, but in PA the epicenter is around the Philly area.
My brother in law and best friend are traveling with us and they live in Pennsylvania but work & spend most of their time in NJ 🤷🏾‍♀️ they are just as likely to catch the disease as I.
I live in PA 2 hours from NYC and many, many people commute from here to NYC and NJ to work and some of those people have tested positive. They are bringing it back to our area, it's been proven, so yes even though it's spreading, it's the way it's spreading and how fast that they're trying to control. In the case of the FL governor putting out the 14 day quarantine to my own city trying to stop the transportation vans and buses into the city.
So although we are from Canada but fly from
Buffalo we would have to self quarantine?
I don't know. I don't know how they would check, but I would assume it's some sort of "flag" on either where the person is flying in from and possibly the person's home address.
Did they have dates
I don't know that either, sorry.
I have flights booked from Buffalo, which is upstate/western NY and 6-7 hours away from NYC, and Southwest sent me an email last night alerting me of the mandate and that I would need to quarantine for 14 days upon arrival.
Interesting...
How are they going to enforce this, just so many loopholes
Not sure. Maybe just the announcement of the governor's plan is enough to make people rethink their plans of going to FL.
IMO this isn't going to last to long, Florida is about to see a spike in cases, and they are trying to put a band-aid on to make it look like they are doing something. Something that will not really work.
I agree that Florida is going to see a spike.
It's not about trying to put a bandaid on it, it's about trying to stop people from traveling from highly infected areas to other areas. Lots of NYC people already left and some took the virus with them. It's still about trying to flatten the curve and control the spread a little more so to not overwhelm the healhcare systems in other areas, like Florida.
In my city, family members who live here are telling their families in NY and NJ to come here and get away from the virus. The problem is now they are bringing cases here, there's no quarantine for those coming in and they are going out to stores and spreading it, they're spreading it to their family members that they're staying with who work in some businesses still open, and so it spreads quickly. People leaving epicenters for other areas is a very real threat. My city has one hospital, and it will be quickly overwhelmed if this continues and our cases rise dramatically.

agree that Florida is going to see a spike.
It's not about trying to put a bandaid on it, it's about trying to stop people from traveling from highly infected areas to other areas. Lots of NYC people already left and some took the virus with them. It's still about trying to flatten the curve and control the spread a little more so to not overwhelm the healhcare systems in other areas, like Florida.
In my city, family members who live here are telling their families in NY and NJ to come here and get away from the virus. The problem is now they are bringing cases here, there's no quarantine for those coming in and they are going out to stores and spreading it, they're spreading it to their family members that they're staying with who work in some businesses still open, and so it spreads quickly. People leaving epicenters for other areas is a very real threat. My city has one hospital, and it will be quickly overwhelmed if this continues and our cases rise dramatically

I agree people shouldn’t be Traveling at all, but put a National ban on all travel that isn’t essential. Don’t say oh this state is the problem, and if we ban them we won’t have an issue. All those spring breakers 2 weeks ago were part of the problem, any one traveling for fun and not staying home is part of the problem.

I agree people shouldn’t be Traveling at all, but put a National ban on all travel that isn’t essential. Don’t say oh this state is the problem, and if we ban them we won’t have an issue. All those spring breakers 2 weeks ago were part of the problem, any one traveling for fun and not staying home is part of the problem.
Absolutely. I think they should put a domestic travel ban in effect. The problem is each of the states are in control of their own state and setting their own rules and protocol. The fact is there are some states with major virus problems, like NY, NJ and CT but others will soon follow if people in authority don't do something because people are not taking their personal responsibility seriously. Especially when money is involved.

I honestly think other states don't understand the magnitude of what's happening in our areas. I'm looking at all these people wanting to travel to Florida when Disney opens and the only thing I can figure is that they just haven't experienced it like we are starting to. And that's the point... we're only just starting to here. So many of my family are off work, having to use up vacation time, filing for unemployment, just trying to get by. Vacations anywhere are the last thing on our minds. I canceled our trip in May to Disney because even if it opens by then, our vacation time is gone and who knows if we will have the money to pay for a vacation anyway. I'm not saying people in other states are stupid, they honestly haven't started to experience it.

One of my daughter's friends came home last week from spring break in Florida and asked her yesterday if she wants to hang out. Are you kidding me? This is the mentality of some people. Of course my daughter didn't go.

So is it just those traveling from NYC? The verbiage in the Governor's mandate says "tri-state area", which is usually only NYC/CT/NJ, but the mandate just says "New York, CT, NJ" and never specifies New York City. I have flights booked from Buffalo, which is upstate/western NY and 6-7 hours away from NYC, and Southwest sent me an email last night alerting me of the mandate and that I would need to quarantine for 14 days upon arrival.
me too!

Absolutely. I think they should put a domestic travel ban in effect. The problem is each of the states are in control of their own state and setting their own rules and protocol. The fact is there are some states with major virus problems, like NY, NJ and CT but others will soon follow if people in authority don't do something because people are not taking their personal responsibility seriously. Especially when money is involved.

I honestly think other states don't understand the magnitude of what's happening in our areas. I'm looking at all these people wanting to travel to Florida when Disney opens and the only thing I can figure is that they just haven't experienced it like we are starting to. And that's the point... we're only just starting to here. So many of my family are off work, having to use up vacation time, filing for unemployment, just trying to get by. Vacations anywhere are the last thing on our minds. I canceled our trip in May to Disney because even if it opens by then, our vacation time is gone and who knows if we will have the money to pay for a vacation anyway. I'm not saying people in other states are stupid, they honestly haven't started to experience it.

One of my daughter's friends came home last week from spring break in Florida and asked her yesterday if she wants to hang out. Are you kidding me? This is the mentality of some people. Of course my daughter didn't go.

I wont lie, i fall some where in the middle. I don't think this level of isolation where i am is sustainable long term. Maybe 45 more days before we start seeing other problems from the affects of people being out of work, such as crime, people are going to get desperate. Again only my opinion. I do think people in lots of areas are not seeing what we are seeing yet. However these people who are not seeing it will soon, this thing spreads quick, and will affect large numbers of people, all over, and soon. They don't know whats coming, which is why they should be staying inside NOW!

I hope i am in a situation in May to travel again because g-d will i need it. We canceled our spring break trip to New Orleans and i am hoping we can go some place for memorial day, even if it some what local! But who knows what the next few weeks will bring.

People and this spring break thing are insane! I don't get it at all!

I reached out to channel 2 news here in Buffalo because they mentioned the FL governor mandate on the news here this morning. They confirmed to me that the mandate applies to all airports in the state of New York, not just the city, so Buffalo is included in that as well.

I just saw it’s been updated to 3 week quarantine and that flights arriving at MCO from these areas will be diverted to the international terminals and people will be checked there.

ETA: I had it wrong, He is updating order to include people who have traveled there in the past 3 weeks. Sorry!

Last edited:
I just saw it’s been updated to 3 week quarantine and that flights arriving at MCO from these areas will be diverted to the international terminals and people will be checked there.
Do you know if there's an end date on the mandate, or is this being done indefinitely for the time being? I saw for flights arriving through June 1st somewhere, but haven't found that again since.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter