• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Flights

Phil R

Earning My Ears
I am starting to plan our second trip to Orlando in October 2003. On our first visit we went on a Virgin package trip, this time I have booked a villa and now need to look into the flights. I know that flights can only be booked 11 months in advance but can anyone give me any tips on getting the flight we want at the right price?

Thanks

Phil.

I am a complete novice at this but have you looked into getting a fly-drive? You can book them further ahead and you don't have to take the tour operators insurances which is what appears to bump up the price.

Phil,

In my experience it's totally hit and miss, but I would try phoning around at precisely the 11 month window. I don't claim to understand how it all works, but it seems that the travel agents/tour operators, etc, each get allocations of discounted prices which increase in steps. So, for example, each will have an allocation of really cheap seats, then slightly more expensive, then a bit more, and so on. Obviously the cheapest of all are going to go first.

When we booked our flights for December, friends got seats (Virgin) for about £350, but by the time we started phoning around a couple of weeks later, the cheapest we could get was around £415 for the same flight. They got theirs from Flightbookers, but the cheapest they could do for us was coming in at close to £600. We eventually got ours from Expedia. So I do think it's important to phone around because, whilst one agency's cheap allocation may be gone, another may still have some. We've also found that we've had better quotes by phone than we have online.

We have used Flightbookers, Expedia and Virgin Travelstore (who are a travel agency and can book holidays and flights for all operators, not just Virgin).

Hi there Debbie
A quick question .... Do you have the phone number for Virgin Travel store?
Thanks
Nikki :)

Not Debbie, but Virgin Travel Store is:

0870 757 7767

I booked my fly drives thru Virgin Travel Store and got a discount for early booking, not sure if they are still doing that. I am flying with Virgin though.

Im doing the same as you at the moment, were off in May 2003, travel city are coming up with some good prices, feel free to mail or pm me .

Jules

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter