Fly in the day before or the day of the cruise?

carole88

New Yorker at Heart
Please help! We can't decide whether to fly in the day before our cruise or the day of the cruise. If we come in the day before what is the best way to handle hotel and transportation? I have read many postings and to be honest am very confused. There are four of us cruising in October. Thanks.

Originally posted by carole88
Please help! We can't decide whether to fly in the day before our cruise or the day of the cruise. If we come in the day before what is the best way to handle hotel and transportation? I have read many postings and to be honest am very confused. There are four of us cruising in October. Thanks.

We had first planned to fly in the morning of our cruise, but after reading the threads on these boards, we changed our flight for the day before. We are staying at the Radisson near the port. We are having a small DISmeet at the Radisson, as there are 7 families staying at the Radisson the night before our cruise.

We thought this was better than getting up at 4am to catch our 7am flight, then being up all day. Being so close to the port the morning of the cruise now, we can take our time and relax in the morning, and enjoy the first day of the cruise even more.

Andy

In March, we flew in the day before, didn't want to have to worry about bad weather in Minnesota. I stayed at my folks house outside WDW, but went back to the airport and caught the Disney bus to Port Canaveral. We got to the airport in time to catch the first bus and were at the terminal before 11:00. #12 or 13 in line. I guess if you can fly early. If you want to take Disney transportation, you can stay at the Hyatt at the airport and leave from there. Have a great time.

I'm with Andy on this one!!!!!

The day before puts you in a much better frame of mind for the whole cruise experience!!!

Better to arrive at port rested and refreshed than "dog" tired from rising at 4am.

Shoot for the day before, many rooms in and around offer great deals. Check out these boards, surf the net, ask around. Wonderful suites, etc. are to be had at really phenomenal prices!!!! It just adds to your whole vacation!!!!

Terry, Pat & Ian

2003 5/17 Eastern
2002 Western Innaugural
2000 WDW Shades of Green
1982 Off Site Honeymoon

We used to always fly in the day of the cruise and were fortunate to never have any problems with flights. Then once when we were sailing in January, we decided to go a day early in case of bad weather. It made such a big difference for us that we plan to do that regardless of the time of year. The day we boarded the ship were so much more refreshed and started our vacation from the minute we stepped onboard instead of spending the first day recouperating from the travel.

If you choose to fly in the day before, there are many options and what you do might depend on whether you fly in just the night before or can fly in early in the day. On our next cruise we are just flying in the night before so we are going to stay at an airport hotel and have the towncar pick us up the next morning to take us to the port.

For a previous cruise, when we got a morning flight the day before, we rented an Avis rental at the airport and drove to Cape Canaveral and planned to stay at the Radisson. We had the car to drive around that day and then returned it to the Avis desk at the Radisson the next morning. There is not a drop-off charge and both the Radisson and Avis run shuttles to the port.

Hi carole88.

We can't decide whether to fly in the day before our cruise or the day of the cruise.

Well, at least you've eliminated the day AFTER the ship departs...

If we come in the day before what is the best way to handle hotel and transportation?

Use both. I don't think camping is allowed at the port.

It is better to arrive the day before you cruise if this is an option available to you and your family. Otherwise you awaken home at about 4AM on "cruise day" and your next sleep is approximately 19 hours later. Everyone is stressed out and the next morning you'll be preparing for Key West. Sensory overload. Get most of your travelling completed the day before and relax in a comfy Orlando or Port Canaveral or Cocoa Beach hotel. Enjoy an evening swim, eat a relaxed dinner, give/receive a foot massage after the kids fall asleep and just sit with any refreshing drink-of-your-choice and rest secure in the knowledge that the morrow (no, not Mr. Tom Morrow) will be the start of a terrific cruise...

When I was younger, LOL, we flew from Boston to Vancouver for a cruise to Alaska. We flew the same day. Left Boston at 6 am, the cruise left at 1 am. I was up for like 48 hours by the time I went to bed (my fault - too excited to sleep the night before we flew). But back then the airlines were more reliable.

I am also cruising in October, I booked my flight 2 1/2 weeks ago, Bos to Orlando direct flight 7:30 am. That flight was cancelled 4 days ago. Now I am to fly out at 11:30 am. Get my drift??? With the way the airlines are now, fly the day before you need to be anywhere. My flights home were also changed. Still waiting to be Officially notified by the airlines.

Does the Radisson pick you up from MCO? If so, we would only have to purchase return transportation from the pier. Our only concern is that we do not arrive until almost midnight on the night before our trip. I know hotels are cheaper, but if we save on the transfers, would the cost be about even?
Thanks

Originally posted by Incharge
Does the Radisson pick you up from MCO? If so, we would only have to purchase return transportation from the pier. Our only concern is that we do not arrive until almost midnight on the night before our trip. I know hotels are cheaper, but if we save on the transfers, would the cost be about even?
Thanks

You will need to get your own transportation from MCO to the Radisson and back to MCO. The Radisson does have free shuttles from the hotel to the port though.

If I was arriving that late at night, I would get a hotel closer to the airport, or even, the Hyatt at the airport.

Andy

Back in March I booked the 3 of us on the 7am leaving Providence direct to Orlando for the day before our Nov 8th cruise. Just the other day I learned that our direct flight got changed to a stop in Atlanta and not getting into Orlando until 1pm. Im very glad we are flying in the day before.
If this ship leaves the dock Nov 8th, we WILL be on it!

If this ship leaves the dock Nov 8th, we WILL be on it!

Think positive now, not "IF" but "WHEN" the ship leaves dock we "WILL" be on it!!!

A couple of years ago we fly in the morning of but never again will we do that. The airlines changes the flight times and we did not get the notice of change. We missed the flight by seconds, I had a break down right in the middle of the terminal. The airlines did get us on another airlines but the flight was leaving later in the morning. I called DCL and told them what happened, they held the last bus to the port for us. To many things can go wrong leave the night before.
Get a limo to the Radisson and relax.

We will be driving down 2 days before the cruise and staying at the Radisson. See you aboard the ship if not before.:wave:

We have always flown down the day before the cruise but for our cruise next week we had to fly down the day of!! We had mostly stayed at the Radisson and once stayed at the Hyatt at MCO.

I anticipate us all being a bit tired, but my teens assured me that they will be raring to go no matter what. When I told them we had to leave our house at 4:00 am to meet our friends and get to the airport they said fine....we will just stay up till 4:00 and then sleep on the plane.

Due to school situations this year we could not leave a day early.

MJ

Originally posted by Moosysmom
We got to the airport in time to catch the first bus and were at the terminal before 11:00. #12 or 13 in line.

What time did that first bus leave?

When I originally booked our cruise, I had us flying in the day of the cruise. We were to arrive at MCO at 10:15- plenty of time to get DCL bus. In the past two weeks, my flight has been changed three different times. The last flight had us arriving late in the afternoon. Thankfully I was able to cancel those tickets and rebook with a different airline the day before. We are going to rent a car from avis for $35 for the day to be picked up at MCO and returned to the Radisson. We actually ended saving money this way!!:D

With all the changes with the airlines these days, the thought of having to stress about arrival times at MCO I definately recommend flying in a day earlier.

Thanks Verandah Man. I already have a confirmed room at the Days Inn that will pick us up at the airport and take us back to the airport Sat. morning. We will just get the bus from the airport to the pier. I was checking for other options since I have until September. You are right that since they do not provide transportation to the hotel it is not cost effective. I wonder why they don't have a shuttle (that you pay for) to bring people to their hotel. But with Carnival bringing that new ship to Orlando, I think anyone wanting to book at the Radisson better not wait too late to book.
As far as waiting til the day of the cruise, I will never do that again either. My partner and I went on a cruise at the last minute out of Miami. It was such a great price, that we sucked it up right away. Well, it was hard getting good priced last minute airline tickets. We opted to go on different airlines. I arrived on time. Well, let me tell you, he freaked out, because his flight was delayed almost 2 hours. I was also a basket case because I did not know why he was so late at first. Definitely try to go out the night before, because the stress is not worth it.

Thanks to everyone who responded. Based on everybody's advice we will fly down the day before. Now we just have to decide on a hotel and transportation.

Thanks again! These boards are a great source of information!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter