Flying ECV batteries?

Buckimion

Purple Heart Park Commando
For the cost of a rental, I just purchased a (good?) secondhand ECV to travel with. Now I'm trying to figure out if I need a new battery to fly with.

It has a sealed lead acid battery in good shape and from what I read on the FAA's page, that seems to be all that is required.

However, I've read on several web pages that the battery must be marked 'FAA Approved' and some have also claimed only gel cells are allowed.

Does anyone have a better handle on what will get me though and what won't? (Flying on Delta to LAX in 2 weeks. :Pinkbounc ) I expect to have it checked as baggage and will try to assemble it somewhere in LAX. :sad2: How do I pack the battery charger? Any other tips to make this go smoothly?

Buckimion said:
For the cost of a rental, I just purchased a (good?) secondhand ECV to travel with. Now I'm trying to figure out if I need a new battery to fly with.

It has a sealed lead acid battery in good shape and from what I read on the FAA's page, that seems to be all that is required.

However, I've read on several web pages that the battery must be marked 'FAA Approved' and some have also claimed only gel cells are allowed.

Does anyone have a better handle on what will get me though and what won't? (Flying on Delta to LAX in 2 weeks. :Pinkbounc ) I expect to have it checked as baggage and will try to assemble it somewhere in LAX. :sad2: How do I pack the battery charger? Any other tips to make this go smoothly?

Call the airline and tell them you are traveling with an electric wheelchair (they usually do not know what a scooter is) and to put a note on you reservastion that you will be gate checking it. This is what my mom did for mine.

If the are lead acid batteries then they MUST be taken out and placed in a special box the airline provides. If they are GEL cells then they can stay in the ECV and don't need to be taken out.
Most new Gel batteries have a sticker on them that say that they are FAA approved for air travel IF you buy them from a DME.

pugdog said:
Most new Gel batteries have a sticker on them that say that they are FAA approved for air travel IF you buy them from a DME.

What is a DME? (Other than the Magical Express bus?) :scratchin

Buckimion said:
What is a DME? (Other than the Magical Express bus?) :scratchin
A company that is a seller of Durable Medical Equipment (such as crutches, wheelchairs, portable comodes, etc.)

We just purchased new batteries for hubbies ECV at a local place called "The Battery Store". The old ones were 5 years old, moderately used, and had lost their recharging ability.

The new batteries were just over $100 for the pair. They do have the FAA sticker on them. Most DME places wanted over $100 per battery. As much as the medical industry can help folks, they seem to charge more!!

I would check your yellow pages and see if there is a supplier for some new batteries. It will make the airlines run smoother and quite possibly your "new" scooter run better!

Our charger stays with the ECV on the floor plate tucked in between the batteries, strapped on with a bungie cord, then we wrap the electric cord around the seat post and fasten with velcro. It just stays on the ECV for air travel.

Our is a pretty old ECV though. Most of the newer ones have battery covers, etc. I have never seen one in public that looks even similar to ours.

Carol

Batteries Plus has wheelchair and scooter batteries. (If this link doesn't work, just go to www.batteriesplus.com and search for wheelchair batteries).
If you are buying the batteries yourself, it's probably cheaper to buy them from a battery place. If insurance or some other third party is paying for them, they often require you to buy from a DME.

I would remove anything that is removable and put it along with the charger in a bag that you carry on. That way, there is no chance that anything will come loose or unhooked and fall off.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter