Flying for Adults

inkkognito

<font color=green>I shall call him Mini-Me<br><fon
I was poking around the various DIS boards the other day and was amazed at the heated discussion on the Debate Board over kids & flying (with some people rallying for adults-only flights or sections!). While that might be nice for childless flyers, it's not very realistic. Hubby and I don't have kids, but in our frequent trips to Orlando, we've developed some strategies to make child-packed flights as comfortable as possible:
First, we always try to get to the airport early enough to get an exit row. We are successful about 80 percent of the time. Our odds are increased because kids can't sit in the exit row...therefore, on a flight with a lot of kids, they are sometimes begging for someone to sit there. When you are in an exit row, you know that you will not have someone with a screaming lap kid next to you (it does not, however, prevent a 300 person or someone who forgot to show from sitting there).
Second, if you are annoyed by kids kicking your seat, try to sit in front of the exit row. Of course, you could have an adult back there who keeps jabbing you, but the odds are more in your favor than they would be with a restless youngster.
Third (and this one is tongue in cheek), bring some counter-ammunition. I have a little handheld Yahtzee game that I play with the Mute function on. But if someone around me (kid or adult) was doing something obnoxious and wouldn't stop, I would kick on the sound and play it till they begged for mercy!!
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.castawayclub.com

As a frequent flier, I have a definite opinion on this. First, lap babies should be illegal. Period. Write to your congresspeople and ask them to fully support legislation outlawing this dangerous practice.

Next, I would love to see families with kids under 10 seated in the back of the plane. Two reasons. First, they can get on first and take the time they need to settle in without blocking aisles and disrupting the boarding process for the other pax. The other is that they can be seated together and will be much less disruptive to other pax. Another nice thing is that they are closer to the lavs...a big plus when traveling with younger kids :)

Anne

I "vote" for having ankle-biters delegated to the back. They're always in front of me and take 20 minutes to gather up all their stuff and struggle off the plane when I just want to get off.

On a nicer note, though, another good thing about bringing along a hand-held electronic game is that you can let the little toad borrow it, and hopefully that will distract them enough to sit more still. If not, after you've made friends with them by sharing your game, asking them not to bump you seat should be accepted a little more happily!

Great ideas on taking advantage of the aisle-seat restrictions, though!

Tammy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter