• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Flying with a head cold...

MichiganMommy

Mouseketeer
Help! We are flying on Saturday and DS4 has a bad head cold. I'm praying that it will clear up by then, but it'll be my luck that DS7 will catch it and be congested then. Any suggestions for flying with a head cold? I know I can give them a decongestant, but that doesn't seem to work on my kids as well as it does for me. I have a call into the Dr.'s office right now, so we'll see what they say.

I would be careful if it turns into a sinus infection.
I went on vacation once with a cold that turned into a sinus infection and the flight back was torture. The pressure changes were VERY painful on the sinuses.

I agree with disnygrl00 about flying with a sinus infection! That was the MOST painful flight I've ever had. Since then I've had good luck taking a couple of Benedryl tablets. It's an antihistimine rather than a decongestant but I've found it dries everything out really well and seems to help. I've had good luck with the Benedryl for my kids too. You might also try some of the Vicks Vaporub salve or the inhalers. My oldest daughter swears by those. Hope this helps some!

Kelly in Memphis

I agree with disnygrl00 about flying with a sinus infection! That was the MOST painful flight I've ever had. Since then I've had good luck taking a couple of Benedryl tablets. It's an antihistimine rather than a decongestant but I've found it dries everything out really well and seems to help. I've had good luck with the Benedryl for my kids too. You might also try some of the Vicks Vaporub salve or the inhalers. My oldest daughter swears by those. Hope this helps some!

Kelly in Memphis

I know medicines work differently on each person. Have you tried Dimetapp? That worked great on my kids (and me, too).

I too agree about sinus infections and planes!!! Normally I have no problems, other than some ear popping. But in Dec. I flew with a raging sinus infection, and it was a miserable experience. It can be done if you have to do it, but it will not be pleasant (especially for a child).
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.castawayclub.com

Turning into a sinus infection is your greatest fear? My supervisor ruptured her eardrums flying with a cold! Talk about pain!

A decongestant and antihistamine is effective but I'd visit the doctor to make sure he'll OK it. He may even give you something far better than an over-the-counter remedy. In the end, it is not only more affordable but effective.

Turning into a sinus infection is your greatest fear? My supervisor ruptured her eardrums flying with a cold! Talk about pain!

A decongestant and antihistamine is effective but I'd visit the doctor to make sure he'll OK it. He may even give you something far better than an over-the-counter remedy. In the end, it is not only more affordable but effective.

I don't think it needs to even be a sinus infection per se to be uncomfortable. I flew with tonsillitus (probably due to sinus drainage) and I surely thought I would die on the descent. And I'm very tolerant of pain. I had been taking every imaginable OTC meds and nothing, not even pain relievers relieved the throbbing severe pain in my ear. Even after we touched down, I felt like I couldn't hear in that ear for several days. Just having experienced that would deter me from putting my children through that. I would try to get the youngest in to the Pediatrician's office just to make sure he isn't already experiencing the first stages of an ear infection. Perhaps the Doc can prescribe something specific.

Good luck.

Thanks everyone for your responses. Tree of Life - ruptured eardrums were EXACTLY what I was worried about. I called the doc earlier in the week and they just told me to give him a decongestant (spelling?). I decided to take him to see the doctor yesterday "just in case". The doctor was really nice, said his ears didn't look good, not full-blown infection yet, but not healthy either. She gave me antibiotics to stave off an ear infection and told me to give him some benedryl before the flight. I'm a scuba diver, and had trouble equalizing the pressure in my ears once and that was incredibly painful. I can't imagine how much worse flying would be. Hopefully everything will go smoothly tomorrow.

When it comes to flying while ill, it is always best to see the one who went through medical school rather than select colorful whatchamacallits off the shelf.
I only use antibiotics when tehy are absolutely necessary. many times I take my kids to the doctor and if he does not thing they are necessary, I do not even insist. Those suckers are outsmarting us and getting stronger and stronger.

I scuba dive as well and was a swimmer in college. And yes, the pain of not being able to equalize is maddening.

Good luck and have a safe trip, you did the right thing!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter