Food allergies, bathrooms?

ticktock

<font color=darkorchid>I'm more of a Georgian girl
Has anyone with allergies done one of these trips and how did Disney deal with your food issues? If I have even a miniscule amount of soy I'm useless for a week. Disney is one of the few places where I feel somewhat safe eating the food, and even there I've had problems.

Also, I've heard that in many places in Europe public restrooms aren't as available as in the US (though I had problems finding RRs in NYC too, so?). I have an urgent bladder and if i do somehow get a bit of soy or gluten i will NEED immediate use of a restroom. Are there always facilities close by? Does the tour bus have a RR and is it usually close by or does it go and park, etc? Honestly this is the only reason I would book a tour. Never considered myself a tour type person but with my health issues now I'm thinking Disney may be my only way to safely and comfortably see Europe. Thanks.

I have a gluten sensitivity(not an allergy per se). The guides sked at our first meal if anyone had food allergies so I told them about it. From then on they made sure at each meal the kitchen met my needs. They were very good about it.

I had no problem finding a restroom either with the group or when on our own.Think McDonald's etc and you won't have a problem. With the group, again the guides made sure there were periodic breaks.

I have IBS and on both trips the guides were very kind about finding me a restroom when I needed one. However, depending on where you are on the tour, there isn't always something close by. "Close by" for you and me has a whole different meaning than for normal people. ;)

For the tour buses, the one on Viva Italia was small (many winding roads) and didn't have a restroom. The buses on Imperial Cities were larger (lots of highways) and did.

For soy, I just had a friend stay the weekend whose throat closes when she eats soy. I'm always surprised at how many products have that in the ingredients. Eating out for you must be a constant challenge!

Dotti

On our recent Viva Italia tour, the Disney guides were extremely conscientious about our kids' food allergies and our fellow travelers were equally supportive! At the roadside stop between Orvietto and Artimino, I overheard several different families discussing and choosing snacks which would not affect our daughter who is so allergic to peanuts, that just the smell (peanut dust) in the air will send her into anyphalactic shock. I only wish the airlines had been as supportive, but that is another story.

As to bathroom breaks, I was apprehensive also. That "Gotta Go" song is definitely a favorite in our house! But, you know, I didn't have any problems while on the trip. The guides did a great job of setting up ample pit stops.
Cindy

I have IBS and on both trips the guides were very kind about finding me a restroom when I needed one. However, depending on where you are on the tour, there isn't always something close by. "Close by" for you and me has a whole different meaning than for normal people. ;)

For the tour buses, the one on Viva Italia was small (many winding roads) and didn't have a restroom. The buses on Imperial Cities were larger (lots of highways) and did.

For soy, I just had a friend stay the weekend whose throat closes when she eats soy. I'm always surprised at how many products have that in the ingredients. Eating out for you must be a constant challenge!

Dotti

It's nice to hear from someone who understands;) . I'm very nervous about the restroom issue.

BTW I was told for years that I had IBS. Finally I had a doc recommend I try a gluten free diet even though I'd tested negative for celiacs. It changed my life! I then noticed I had a reaction to gluten free things with soy in them, the soy actually bothers me more than gluten. Now I'm almost symptom free when I used to be stuck in bed or the bathroom:sick: for weeks on end. Have you ever tried an ellemination diet? It is so worth it to me, I would much rather not eat out then be sick all the time.

Thanks for all the replies.

We recently did the Viva Italia tour. My daughter has a very small bladder and frequently had to use the restroom while we were out. The guides did a great job of helping us find a restroom when she needed one. In Italy, there were some places that asked for a fee when going so it would be a good idea to carry some change with you when you go as well. The bathrooms did not always have toilet paper so you may want to carry that with you. In addidtion, some of the toilets did not have seats.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter