• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

? for tent campers using electrical hookup

MomofM&M

Mouseketeer
After lurking and learning from lots on this board, I went on my first tent camping trip with my family. We were at a primitive site with no hookups. We will camping Thanksgiving weekend at a state campground. We will have 30 amp service and since we will be in the mountains, I bought an electric ceramic heater. I read many threads to find an appropriate one. We can't do mattress pads or blankets as I don't trust my 4 yo not to have an accident. She doesn't have them at home, only when we are traveling. So, to my questions.
I have the outdoor extension cord already for our various gardening equipment. However, since we will have 30 amp service I know I will need to get a 15 amp/30 amp adaptor. Do I use it at the electrical hookup and then use my regular outdoor extension cord? Or do I spend the 35 dollars and get the RV 30 amp cord and use the adaptor more distal to the hookup? Which is safer? Is it unsafe since it is 30 amp service and my heater and electronics are for 15 amp? If there is a safer solution to power the heater than what I have in mind, I am open to other options. Thanks in advance!

Are you sure it is 30 amp and only 30 amp? The state parks that I have been to that have electric at the sites have only had 15. Also, the ones that have 30 also have 15 amp as well. You may want to call and double check before you fret about something you may not need to fret about.

If it is only 30, I hope someone else can help, because I am not sure. My choice would be to use one of the adaptors that look like a little extension cord. I think they are called "pigtail" adaptors. I am not sure though as I have no experience with this particular situation. I hope someone comes along that can help.

The adapters on this page are really all you need IF the power pole only has 30 AMP.

Every campground I've been to that had 30 Amp also had a couple of standard household plugs on it.

94.jpg

Thanks, Everyone!
I called and it is just as you both said. There will also be two 110V outlets there in addition to the 30 amp service. Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter