• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

For those Texans who drive to WDW

our decision has been made, we'll be stopping at the hilton in lafayette on our way to florida, and at the marriott town place suites in mobile on our way home. i'll have to buy some points for each stay, but it will only cost me $62.50 each night to do so.

Where are you leaving from in Texas? We live in NW Louisiana, so Lafayette is only about 3 hours from us. That leaves 11 hours from there.

we're on the wdw side of dallas county. and i need to say that "after further review" we will be staying on the wdw side of baton rouge at marriott's towneplace suites, and staying at crestview, fl hampton inn. and only have to buy enough points for the stay in baton rouge, since i have enough hilton points for free night at crestview. of course, this is all subject to what td 4, soon to be dean decides to do. may have to take the northern route, which dd wants to do so we can stay at macon, for some reason.:confused3

I just completed the drive to DW from Austin and then back.
I guess my standards for scenery are different from some others.
I found the Florida Panhandle to be quite scenic and enjoyable. The lack of development was quite refreshing.
I found the Destin area to be a nightmare. Overcrowded, overdeveloped and over hyped.
On our trip back we drove along the gulf coast/ gulf coast area starting around Inverness and getting back on I-10 just before Pensacola. It was really great to be out in the country but things went bad just after Tyndal AFB.
We really enjoyed Ceder Key and the lower Suwanne area. I am not really a fan of rampant unchecked BAD development. I have to suffer from way to much of it here in centrall Texas.
The Central Texas Hill Country is just fading away because of it. I-35 from Round Rock to San Antonio is one gas station, starter community and outlett mall right after the other.
I guess what I am saying is if you like to look at trees, green pastures, horse ranches and the country side, don't be afraid to drive I-10 through western Florida during the day.
If you hate wall to wall concrete, bumper to bumper traffic and towering giant hotels blocking your view of nature then avoid highway 98 between Panama City and Pensacola
One suggestion is if you are in Perry Florida try to stay at the Days Inn.
Theo

we're on the wdw side of dallas county. and i need to say that "after further review" we will be staying on the wdw side of baton rouge at marriott's towneplace suites, and staying at crestview, fl hampton inn. and only have to buy enough points for the stay in baton rouge, since i have enough hilton points for free night at crestview. of course, this is all subject to what td 4, soon to be dean decides to do. may have to take the northern route, which dd wants to do so we can stay at macon, for some reason.:confused3

I know we are about 6 hours from Biloxi here in Shreverport (and 4 hours from BR). We just drove to Arlington (went to Six Flags) two weeks ago and it took us 3 hours to get to the parking lot at Six Flags. So that would be about 9 hours to Biloxi with still about 8 hours to go. You'll still have about 10 hours from BR to WDW. If you could get all the way to Biloxi, you'd have a shorter drive the next day.

hey jan,

i sent the 6 flags coup to you, the only thing about going further is the reward category goes up for rooms and i wanted to keep it category 1 since i am buying points to use. and this time we aren't leaving til school is out for the day, 6 to 7 hours first day is probably just about right.

I am in Temple, Texas and I am thinking about driving to WDW next year......Thank you for all these eta's and such, the information is so helpful.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter