• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

For those Texans who drive to WDW

drakethib

DIS Veteran
Where do you stop for the night? or do you drive through?

We are thinking of stopping at the beach somewhere for the evening but not sure where.

Thanks

Hi,

If you want to go to the beach on the way and not spend too much I would suggest Pensacola, Fl. It is just across the line from Alabama. The hotels there are not too expensive. The beach is not far from I-10 at that point.

However, if you want a beautiful beach and don't mind paying, I suggest Orange Beach, Al. or Destin, Fl. If you are a DVC member, there is a resort in Destin that you may be able to use nightly DVC points at. It is a Club Intrawest resort with reasonable points. I haven't stayed there so I don't know how good it is.

We live in NW Louisiana. So our drive is almost the same as your's from Beaumont. You might have a little less.

This year we are leaving on Sat AM (early and driving to Tallahassee to spend the night). That will take about 10 hours. Then we drive on the rest of the way. We're going to Marco Island for a few nights first before heading back to WDW. We usually leave home right after school and work, drive to Mobile, spend the night there and get to WDW around 7 hours after we leave Mobile.

Pensacola would take you about 6 hours from Beaumont. You could also try Destin or Ft Walton Beach - nicer beaches and a bit further down the road. Both places will take a bit longer to get to the beach from I-10.

If you are planning this for the peak summer months I would avoid Destin unless you enjoy high prices for lodging and bumper to bumper traffic and 2 hour waits to eat.

It would not be worth the hassle to drive over from I-10 just to spend the night to me especially from Memorial Day to early August.

I would prefer to get closer to Disney and have a shorter drive and earlier arrival the next day.

We have stayed in Sandestin before on our way back from our Christmas trip and it was okay. The kids did enjoy looking for shells. The previous posters are correct though - I have been told by other friends that Destin/Sandestin traffic is ridiculous during the peak times and you do have to stray quite a bit off I-10 to get to the beach.

We typically leave Houston on a Friday around noon and make it to Pensacola around 8. There is a Hampton Inn right off of I-10 behind a mall - I believe it is called Hampton Inn - University Mall and typically runs about $135 per night (this incl. tax). We are pretty picky about hotels and this is very clean, and includes a more than adequate breakfast bar in the morning (admittedly, we are quick on breakfasts during WDW vacations though). The remaining trip to WDW is about 6 hours, but since Pensacola is still CST, you lose an hour.

On our last day at WDW, we typically leave around 3pm and arrive in Pensacola around 8pm (pick up the hour on the way back).

If I were leaving from Beaumont, however, I would probably stretch it to Tallahassee to make the second leg to WDW that much shorter.

I live in Humble and have driven straight through several times (about 14 hours). When we set-up a stop I prefer the Tallahassee area as it is more likely to be where I am running low on energy to keep driving Mobile and Pensacola are to early in the drive for me.

Beaches at Gulf-Shores, Orange Al and Destin Fla are gorgeous but they can be time consumers as off the staright path and heavy traffic on weekends and holidays as noted by others.

FWIW the stretch of I10 from just West of Mobile to East of Pensacola is beautiful with Bay views and causeways in both cities otherwise IMHO Coastal Tx, La, Ms and Fla all kind-of feature the same 2 lanes of concrete running through the pine forest theme. MS has a nice tourist visitor Center as does FLa at their respective Western borders.

You gotta love the Dis. :thumbsup2

I never thought I would recieve this much feedback on this thread.

Can someone provide average travel times say how long from Mobile, AL to Orlando and such.

We are not planning to go back to WDW for a while (well that is the plan anyway :) ) but this will be our first time driving.

The airlines are becoming more and more of a hassle with all of the BS and just not worth it.Cramped seats, yucky meals and snacks, etc.

We really wont be saving that much money when you factor in Hotels and such. Right now I am being conservative saying to takes us 7 hours to get to WDW (travel to Airport, check in1.5 hours early, flight time, travel to WDW from MCO) and I think we can make the trip in about 13 hours on the road. Plus both of my girls (my wife and daughter) really like the beach so an overnight stop would be great.

I have a DVD player in the vehicle and Sirius satellite radio for me.

Thoughts?

Last trip was January this year -- flew from Lake Charles -- airplane flight was pain in the butt.

Will drive next time -- the Destin and Ft Walton places are good recommendations, water is clear there.

Pull up google maps to get directions and distances.

Streets and Trips says the trip from Beaumont to Orlando is 13 hours, 878 miles.

If you stop for Cajun food in Louisiana -- add 4 hours to your trip..:)

Mule

Last trip was January this year -- flew from Lake Charles -- airplane flight was pain in the butt.

Will drive next time -- the Destin and Ft Walton places are good recommendations, water is clear there.

Pull up google maps to get directions and distances.

Streets and Trips says the trip from Beaumont to Orlando is 13 hours, 878 miles.

If you stop for Cajun food in Louisiana -- add 4 hours to your trip..:)

Mule

I am originally from Thibodaux, La (which also happens to be my last name:) )

I know all too well about the food. ;)

Prejeans, Ralph and Kacoo's, Pats, even Cajun Charlies in your next of the woods. Yummy.

Mobile to Orlando is about 7 hours. If you plan to arrive at Disney be sure to factor in the time change, loss of one hour.

Mobile to Orlando is about 7 hours. If you plan to arrive at Disney be sure to factor in the time change, loss of one hour.

Really? Just 7 hours? I never actually clocked it, because we stop to eat, etc. It seems so much farther...it really feels like a very, very long drive.

Really? Just 7 hours? I never actually clocked it, because we stop to eat, etc. It seems so much farther...it really feels like a very, very long drive.

That would be nonstop at 70mph, as its about 490 miles. It is a long drive and worse its a very boring drive, which makes it feel longer.

A variation on Sammie's answer...From doorstop to doorstop for me is exactly 1000 miles. Gulfport is about 400 miles and Pensacola is about 530 miles. We drove once and only once six years ago. I somehow managed to drive from Gulfport to Pensacola with one of my worst migraines ever. I felt each and every one of those miles and let me tell you that was one long drive. After that, we have always flown.

Houston is about the same as Shreveport for mileage (we've done both) and it took us about 14 hours one way. Mobile is about half way for us. So it takes another 7 hours from Mobile (we drive across the bridge to Daphne to miss the traffic the next morning). Isn't it about 90 miles from Houston to Beaumont? That would be 1.5 hours off the 14 hour trip.

We've even done the entire way in one drive home (we left WDW about 8AM and arrived home about 10PM). Of course it was Christmas day and no traffic on the road.

The panhandle of FL is pretty boring. But the anticipation of turning south on I-75 gets you that distance. This time we're going to turn off I-10 at Tallahassee and take the state highway (27, maybe?) to Ocala, just to get a little variety.

Houston is about the same as Shreveport for mileage (we've done both) and it took us about 14 hours one way. Mobile is about half way for us. So it takes another 7 hours from Mobile (we drive across the bridge to Daphne to miss the traffic the next morning). Isn't it about 90 miles from Houston to Beaumont? That would be 1.5 hours off the 14 hour trip.

We've even done the entire way in one drive home (we left WDW about 8AM and arrived home about 10PM). Of course it was Christmas day and no traffic on the road.

The panhandle of FL is pretty boring. But the anticipation of turning south on I-75 gets you that distance. This time we're going to turn off I-10 at Tallahassee and take the state highway (27, maybe?) to Ocala, just to get a little variety.

We like the drive from Tallahassee to Ocala on 27 or the FL/GA pkwy very much. It is mostly four laned divided, it is a nice diversion after hours of Interstate and when you come out at Ocala and pick up the Interstate again you feel you are almost there. :thumbsup2

We will be leaving this Friday and will be driving to WDW from Houston (East side of town).

We have driven three times before, once we stopped in Pensacola and the others have been in Tallahasse, as well as this time.

We got a nights stay at the Quality Inn (exit 199) in Tallahasse for internet rate of around $62 with tax for the night (2 adults, 1 child). This will be the second time we have stayed at this hotel.

Google earth shows the distance from my house to the hotel at 695 miles and 10 1/2 hours. The total miles is right at 1000 to WDW from our house.

I will try to keep track of the time it takes this time.

Jim.

We're staying Tallahassee at a Quality Inn for free on Sat night. We have accrued enough points on Choice Hotels that we earned a free night.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter