For those who drive down

mort1331

DIS Veteran
Just an FYI for those driving down and staying on property. It has just been reported and confirmed that Disney will now be charging for parking overnight at the resorts. If you have book your 2018 trip already it wont affect you. But if you havent they will start charging March 21/2018. This is another factor in the budget of fly or drive. There has been no confirmation if they are taking away free parking at the parks for those staying onsite, for now its still included.
Sorry for the bad news. Its blowing up everywhere.
For those that are DVC, for now you are excluded, along with a few other exemptions.
I hope this thread does not get into a bashing, its for info. There is enough on the other boards and FB about extra charges and never doing Disney again. Lets keep it Canadian here please.

Well that's sad --- we fly down but almost always rent a car for 2 reasons: meals at other resorts & when we want/need to leave the bubble. Will this stop us visiting? No, but it will change how we handle this new development by cutting down on the time we have a rental car.

I agree about this not being the place to attack either Disney (it is a business out to make money even if people don't want to acknowledge this fact!) or others who don't agree with our opinions. Thanks for pointing this out to us so we can make plans to deal with it. Wonder how they will handle the parking at Disney Springs now --- they will have to quickly implement payment there as well or they will notice a lot of people using that as a loophole!!

Well that's sad --- we fly down but almost always rent a car for 2 reasons: meals at other resorts & when we want/need to leave the bubble. Will this stop us visiting? No, but it will change how we handle this new development by cutting down on the time we have a rental car.

I agree about this not being the place to attack either Disney (it is a business out to make money even if people don't want to acknowledge this fact!) or others who don't agree with our opinions. Thanks for pointing this out to us so we can make plans to deal with it. Wonder how they will handle the parking at Disney Springs now --- they will have to quickly implement payment there as well or they will notice a lot of people using that as a loophole!!
I think that there is a pay section already at the lots, some still free. But what about those who leave their car at a park and just take Disney transportation back. Is it worth the hassle? Some might think so.
And I am exempt as a DVC member, but what about when my wife goes with out me, or I rent those points out, are they?
We will keep you posted as we find answers.

I like going to Disney so I don't have to drive... But I feel for everyone who will have to pay for parking :( hopefully they don't start charging for the bus from the airport!

I can see how people might be upset at this. But it's been a growing trend at hotels in popular parts of cities and, like charges for checked luggage, a reliable revenue stream due to a captive clientele. Profitable, if perhaps not exactly ethical. So I suppose I'm more surprised that Disney has resisted the urge to do this until now.

Lets keep it Canadian here please.
Sorry :)

:( We drive so that will impact us directly. For me paying more to stay onsite was worth it and in my top 3 reasons there was free parking and FP+ at 60 days. The non-Disney hotels close to Disney Springs now look a lot more interesting with lower $$/night and FP+ at 60 days...

I wonder how it will work for our trip in December 2018-January 2019 we have booked at POFQ?!?

If you are already book, from what I read, you are grandfathered in. Best to double check./

It's a frustrating additional cost. However, driving down with my family of 5 will still be cheaper (even with gas, hotels and this extra daily parking fee) than flying. I'd like to say it will change my trips, but the truth is, it won't (but I'm still going to grumble about it).

I don’t see anything wrong with grumbling about it. I mean, it is very clearly an attempt to create a new revenue stream.

Epic declarations of “never again” and such (which no one has done yet on this thread)... I can’t get behind that.

I can see the outside Disney hotels putting in a parking charge, they charge alot less for a larger hotel room.
For a resort guest Disney is getting top dollar for their hotel. Disney is getting money from resort guests for passes to the parks, meals at the parks/resort, souviners, guest experiences etc.
Non resort guests are allowed to visit the resorts and park all day for free if they want to. This is a slap in the face to those that are willing to spend the extra money on an onsite stay. To me this last parking fee and other changes is slowly taking the magic out of a disney world trip for me.
Deb.

I can see the outside Disney hotels putting in a parking charge, they charge alot less for a larger hotel room.
For a resort guest Disney is getting top dollar for their hotel. Disney is getting money from resort guests for passes to the parks, meals at the parks/resort, souviners, guest experiences etc.
Non resort guests are allowed to visit the resorts and park all day for free if they want to. This is a slap in the face to those that are willing to spend the extra money on an onsite stay. To me this last parking fee and other changes is slowly taking the magic out of a disney world trip for me.
Deb.
Most of the hotels that aren't on property already charge for parking as well as resort fees --- even the Swan & Dolphin -- we stayed onsite last year for this very reason. 3 weeks of parking and resort fees made any other choice cost just as much as renting a DVC studio !

It’s enough to continue to keep me off property. But I had already long since stopped seeing the value in on property. I also don’t see any problem in saying “Never again”. People are allowed to have their tipping point.
We enjoy the Disney parks a great deal, but we do not enjoy the price tag or the size of an onsite room. Add in parking and it just makes that decision easier for us. After 10 onsite trips I can’t see going back onsite.
It’s absolutely their prerogative to make as much money as they can, but its certainly the consumers perogative to determine if the value is still there.

Most of the hotels that aren't on property already charge for parking as well as resort fees --- even the Swan & Dolphin -- we stayed onsite last year for this very reason. 3 weeks of parking and resort fees made any other choice cost just as much as renting a DVC studio !
I never pay anywhere near to onsite prices to rent a condo at Bonnet Creek or one of the thousands of houses, timeshares or vacation rentals in the area. I think it all depends on what places you are comparing it to. I believe we paid under $1000 for 10 days in a 2 bedroom with full kitchen and two bathrooms at Bonnet Creek. No resort fee, no parking fees. And it’s “in the bubble” being right beside Carribbean Beach.

Last onsite stay we didn't have a vehicle but took Uber to go out of the bubble. Much cheaper than a rental.

I can't see them adding an additional charge for ME - they want to get you into that bubble with no means of escape! lol

Let us know Mort what you find out about DVC renters, if they are charged the parking fee or not. (Kicking myself again for not buying a DVC contract when the prices were low and dollar was at par!!)

Disney Vacation Club Members
Members will not be charged for standard overnight self-parking when staying at a DVC Deluxe Villa, regardless of whether they use vacation points or another form of payment. Members also will not be charged to park when using vacation points to stay at a Walt Disney World Resort hotel.
  • Disney Value Resorts: $13 per night
  • Disney Moderate Resorts: $19 per night
  • Disney Deluxe and Deluxe Villa Resorts: $24 per night
Last onsite stay we didn't have a vehicle but took Uber to go out of the bubble. Much cheaper than a rental.

I can't see them adding an additional charge for ME - they want to get you into that bubble with no means of escape! lol

Let us know Mort what you find out about DVC renters, if they are charged the parking fee or not. (Kicking myself again for not buying a DVC contract when the prices were low and dollar was at par!!)

Sorry to say, but I think anyone renting, if not a member will be paying. And will be paying the highest of the resorts.

I never pay anywhere near to onsite prices to rent a condo at Bonnet Creek or one of the thousands of houses, timeshares or vacation rentals in the area. I think it all depends on what places you are comparing it to. I believe we paid under $1000 for 10 days in a 2 bedroom with full kitchen and two bathrooms at Bonnet Creek. No resort fee, no parking fees. And it’s “in the bubble” being right beside Carribbean Beach.
YUP, you're right about that -- in my hurried response i didn't fully explain that i was talking about HOTELS because that was what the other poster was commenting on *I THINK* they were referring to the Disney Springs hotels. When we were researching last year's mega trip we were looking at hotels that were within a very reasonable distance to the parks and gave us some cooking ability and i was shocked at how much it would cost compared to DVC rentals when some very kind DIS-ers explained the ins & outs (and then actually RENTED us some points!)

Next time around I will take a much closer look at Bonnet Creek -- i had no idea they were that close and i like the idea of being close yet separate (if that makes any sense :P )

Disney Vacation Club Members
Members will not be charged for standard overnight self-parking when staying at a DVC Deluxe Villa, regardless of whether they use vacation points or another form of payment. Members also will not be charged to park when using vacation points to stay at a Walt Disney World Resort hotel.
  • Disney Value Resorts: $13 per night
  • Disney Moderate Resorts: $19 per night
  • Disney Deluxe and Deluxe Villa Resorts: $24 per night

Sorry to say, but I think anyone renting, if not a member will be paying. And will be paying the highest of the resorts.
We are renting DVC points but are already booked so we are exempt from the parking fee this year. The company we rented from put a message on their FB page stating they have talked to WDW and renters will be exempt too. Hopefully this is correct, but WDW does not seem to be consistent with there answers sometimes.

We are renting DVC points but are already booked so we are exempt from the parking fee this year. The company we rented from put a message on their FB page stating they have talked to WDW and renters will be exempt too. Hopefully this is correct, but WDW does not seem to be consistent with there answers sometimes.
Tough one, we wont know until the time comes. Sorry I cant give a firm answer. If you rented from Daves, he is good, so he might know more.

Wonder how they will handle the parking at Disney Springs now --- they will have to quickly implement payment there as well or they will notice a lot of people using that as a loophole!!

Disney Springs already posts "No Overnight Parking" in the garages. I am sure they could use this for enforcement, maybe they do already, some neighboring DS hotels charge for parking. I always thought this was a dangerous policy for those who have a couple too many at Raglan Road and would rather Uber back to their hotel.

We have no choice but to drive as DH doesn’t fly. The parking changes won’t apply to us this year as we’ve already booked but we were looking at next year. Since FW isn’t charging parking we might finally try them out. Staying off site isn’t an option either. DH won’t fly and I won’t stay off site lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter