"Free" Dining

HATE Free dining! And technically..it is free..BUT the room reverts to 'rack rate' that's the deal if it can be called that?

HATE Free dining! And technically..it is free..BUT the room reverts to 'rack rate' that's the deal if it can be called that?
Yeah, that free dining it really sucks, I hate saving $1,500.00 off the cost of my vacation!

Did you read this thread?

I did..

I don't like what 'FD' has done to dining at WDW. What can I say?!?:confused3
I guess I'm confused as to what has been "done" to WDW?

We've been eating at WDW for years, pre and post the dining plan and free dining and I can't say I've ever had a bad meal experience at WDW. In fact, of all our family, friends and neighbors I've never heard any of them (most of which I have helped plan vacations) ever come back complaining about the food or the DDP at WDW. Only here on the DIS.

I go to Disney perhaps 2-3 times a year..have since year 1.
Getting an ADR is a nightmare now..folks book multiple reservations and though sometimes you luck out by merely showing up..it's a gamble. Sometimes you don't want to haul to another park to take a shot at doing so. I wish they would take a CC for all dining ..that might help. Meanwhile..there is no spontanaity anymore where you can 'see where you happen to be' and go where you feel like eating. Those days are gone..and as much as I love Disney dining..I do think in some cases it has suffered.

Well, the room rate can't "revert" to rack rate...since rack rate IS the actual/normal/standard/base/posted rate. THe Dining Plan Free (again, not 'free dining') is, potentially, a discount of up to $127.96 per night at a Value resort - two adults/two teens/QSDP, where the room may cost as little as $92.20 per night with tax (am I the only one who sees a real bargain here? ;)). A family of five at Port Orleans Riverside makes out nearly as good: five 'Disney adults' - one being short enough to be comfortable in the trundle:) - get the equivalent of a $209.95 nightly discount with The Dining Plan Free. Many nights, their rack rate with tax is $167.43. How is this NOT a good deal????

minnie56 said:
Getting an ADR is a nightmare now..folks book multiple reservations and though sometimes you luck out by merely showing up..it's a gamble. Sometimes you don't want to haul to another park to take a shot at doing so.
Ah. It sounds like you're not familiar with the onsite system.

Guests DON'T need to haul anywhere to take a shot at being able to eat, unless by choice. Simply go to Guest Relations wherever you are, or City Hall in the Magic Kingdom, or the closest sit-down restaurant - and ask for assistance!!!! All the restaurants are linked into the same system, and any CM with access to that system will be able to tell you what's available and make you a reservation!

I go to Disney perhaps 2-3 times a year..have since year 1.
Getting an ADR is a nightmare now..folks book multiple reservations and though sometimes you luck out by merely showing up..it's a gamble. Sometimes you don't want to haul to another park to take a shot at doing so. I wish they would take a CC for all dining ..that might help. Meanwhile..there is no spontanaity anymore where you can 'see where you happen to be' and go where you feel like eating. Those days are gone..and as much as I love Disney dining..I do think in some cases it has suffered.
I find this tread hilarious! I have never had trouble getting an ADR, however I always have one or two restaurants chosen before I call. I do agree with Minnie56 that the DDP squashed our spontaneity, so for our trip this December, we opted for the Quick Service Plan. If we decide to do a TS, we will pay out of pocket and I will call that day and see what is available. As always, I'm sure I'll find and be happy with the restaurants available.

I guess I don't get why this is such a hot topic. We have DDP and I will be using it just like I did in '98. (Not that we had DDP in '98, just that our eating pattern will be the same.) In '98 we wanted at least one TS meal per day and a midday break. I planned each restaurant and had ADRs. We felt like it enhanced our Disney experience.

I don't get why people feel restricted on this plan and if you do feel restricted, why use it? I've done the math, and based on where I want to eat this go 'round, it will save us money. The pre-pay part is a HUGE bonus for me. It eliminates me counting my money everyday to make sure I didn't screw something up while budgeting. (There's some OCD in there.)

I tried the fly-by-the-seat of my pants routine in '01 and didn't feel like it was a good trip for us at all. (I did, however, get walk-in at Le Cellier & 50's Prime Time during Easter Week.) It's all about personal preferences and I can't figure out why those who don't like the DDP are so vehement about it. And I can't see how someone else using it affects them personally. :confused3

Ah. It sounds like you're not familiar with the onsite system.

Guests DON'T need to haul anywhere to take a shot at being able to eat, unless by choice. Simply go to Guest Relations wherever you are, or City Hall in the Magic Kingdom, or the closest sit-down restaurant - and ask for assistance!!!! All the restaurants are linked into the same system, and any CM with access to that system will be able to tell you what's available and make you a reservation!

Of course I am. But I can't hope for a 'walk up' by calling can I?:confused3

Well, the room rate can't "revert" to rack rate...since rack rate IS the actual/normal/standard/base/posted rate. THe Dining Plan Free (again, not 'free dining') is, potentially, a discount of up to $127.96 per night at a Value resort - two adults/two teens/QSDP, where the room may cost as little as $92.20 per night with tax (am I the only one who sees a real bargain here? ;)). A family of five at Port Orleans Riverside makes out nearly as good: five 'Disney adults' - one being short enough to be comfortable in the trundle:) - get the equivalent of a $209.95 nightly discount with The Dining Plan Free. Many nights, their rack rate with tax is $167.43. How is this NOT a good deal????

In some instances yes-of course the price is less in the end. But rooms at rack rate is where Disney starts the pricing and that information is fresh from their mouth not mine!

I guess I don't get why this is such a hot topic. We have DDP and I will be using it just like I did in '98. (Not that we had DDP in '98, just that our eating pattern will be the same.) In '98 we wanted at least one TS meal per day and a midday break. I planned each restaurant and had ADRs. We felt like it enhanced our Disney experience.

I don't get why people feel restricted on this plan and if you do feel restricted, why use it? I've done the math, and based on where I want to eat this go 'round, it will save us money. The pre-pay part is a HUGE bonus for me. It eliminates me counting my money everyday to make sure I didn't screw something up while budgeting. (There's some OCD in there.)

I tried the fly-by-the-seat of my pants routine in '01 and didn't feel like it was a good trip for us at all. (I did, however, get walk-in at Le Cellier & 50's Prime Time during Easter Week.) It's all about personal preferences and I can't figure out why those who don't like the DDP are so vehement about it. And I can't see how someone else using it affects them personally. :confused3

It is not the dining plan that bothers so many people, it is the FREE DINING. Free dining allows people who would normally stick to counter service meals, now get the opportunity to fill up the TS restaurants, because they have it. It forces everyone else to make ADR's to get into restaurants.

I think it helped when the values went to the QSP, but you can still upgrade it to the DDP if you wish to pay the money.

Well, since it will be our first trip ever to Walt Disney World, I am very grateful for the free Disney Dining Plan. It will really help keep our costs down, since our air fare alone will cost us a fortune. We will probably be one of those who will be asking how it works, but maybe with the knowledge I will get from this board, it won't be too difficult to understand. ;)

Another GREAT thread here on the boards is this one...

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2381706

It helps you get some wonderful things for your snack credits. We had a great time trying new things using snack credits. Enjoy

Of course I am. But I can't hope for a 'walk up' by calling can I?:confused3
Well, now I'm completely confused. You said you "don't want to haul to another park to take a shot at" just showing up - but you just want to walk up to a restaurant and get seated? :confused3 Then try it at a NON-park restaurant, something at a resort, especially for lunch. Otherwise, I have no advice; you appear to want the flexibility of choice without being willing to be flexible?

In some instances yes-of course the price is less in the end. But rooms at rack rate is where Disney starts the pricing and that information is fresh from their mouth not mine!
Rooms at rack rate is where ALL hotels start their pricing. It's the industry definition of what rack rate IS. It's disingenuous to try to single out Walt Disney World on this.

Rooms at rack rate is where ALL hotels start their pricing. It's the industry definition of what rack rate IS. It's disingenuous to try to single out Walt Disney World on this.

I am not. I realize that. Pointing out how they come up with 'free' dining..that's all...

Well, now I'm completely confused. You said you "don't want to haul to another park to take a shot at" just showing up - but you just want to walk up to a restaurant and get seated? :confused3 Then try it at a NON-park restaurant, something at a resort, especially for lunch. Otherwise, I have no advice; you appear to want the flexibility of choice without being willing to be flexible?

You are misunderstanding. I hate that I have to plan up to 6 months out to get the places I used to be able to get by merely calling dining same day or yes, seeing where I happen to be mid afternoon and then choosing a restaurant where I am or close to. I can call dining and check and most of the time they will say nothing available...and often that can be because folks have many multiple bookings and until their time has past by 15 minutes-they can't know that! So there comes the 'walk up' idea...

I also think that the free dining making more popular & pricey restaurants up 'for grabs' so to speak has changed how wait staff behave. My DH and I noticed a distinct change in demeanor last month at Raglan Rd when we told them we were not on the dining plan. Seems they are not receiving gratuities as perhaps they should and are obviously relieved when they know they stand a chance of a better tip?

It is not the dining plan that bothers so many people, it is the FREE DINING. Free dining allows people who would normally stick to counter service meals, now get the opportunity to fill up the TS restaurants, because they have it. It forces everyone else to make ADR's to get into restaurants.

I think it helped when the values went to the QSP, but you can still upgrade it to the DDP if you wish to pay the money.

Gotcha. The DDP is a new experience for me but I now I understand where you are coming from.

Are there less opportunities in 2011 for the free dining? I'll be able to make my ADRs in a couple of days but I'm not going during the free dining time frames. I'll be curious to see if it's challenging for me to get what I'm hoping for.

Have people been making ADRs simply hoping that Disney will offer free dining? Is that causing some of the problems?

Since (a) tips aren't part of any dining plan and (b) there's a specific thread FOR all tip discussion - I'd have to (c) respectfully disagree with that assessment and (d) suggest we move THIS part of the conversation to THAT thread before the moderators take action ;)

Look--the OP of this thread asked if anyone else "disliked free dining or were they the only one"? I merely am saying I agree. That you don't care for the reasons I agree, I can't help :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter