"Frozen" scores the highest Thanksgiving debut of all time

crazy4wdw

Moderator - Restaurant Board
Quoted from The Hollywood Reporter:

8:46 AM PST 12/1/2013 by Pamela McClintock

Box Office: 'Catching Fire,' 'Frozen' Serve Up Record Thanksgiving Feast

Disney's Frozen, opening Wednesday, scored the top Thanksgiving debut of all time with a five-day gross of $93 million, eclipsing the $80.1 million five-day launch of Pixar's Toy Story 2 in 1999. It also scored the top opening for a Disney Animation Studios title, besting the $68.7 million grossed by Tangled over Thanksgiving in 2010. For the three-day weekend, Frozen took in $74.5 million.

Loosely based on Hans Christian Andersen's classic fairy tale The Snow Queen, Frozen -- earning a coveted A+ CinemaScore -- tells the story of a fearless princess (Kristen Bell) who sets off on an epic journey to find her sister, whose icy powers have caused an eternal winter. Last weekend, the 3D pic, costing $150 million to make, did big business when it played exclusively at Disney's El Capitan Theatre in Hollywood.

Overseas, Frozen earned $16.7 million as it began rolling out in a handful of markets for a worldwide debut of $109.7 million.

Led in large part by Frozen and Catching Fire, domestic box office revenue for the five-day holiday clocked in at roughly $294 million, up nearly 3 percent from last year's record $291 million.

Wait-- is this just because of the 3D costing more than a regular film? Maybe the movie isn't really good, and people are just seeing it because of the 3D gimick. Frozen can never have staying power like insert movie here.

What did you expect-- It's sunday afternoon and I am bored.

Saw Frozen yesterday (not in 3D) and it will become one of my Disney favorites. It is a movie I would be willing to pay full price to see again.

We saw it on opening day. Me, 2 DD's & DIL. We loved it! We did NOT see it in 3D, and will see it again:thumbsup2

We were there opening day also! We had a big group--DS19, DD15, DS2, and then friends of the kids G16, B16, B13 and then myself. Each enjoyed it. DS2 was really into it. I expected the boys to groan about the princesses, but they said it was enough plot to enjoy.

Our theater had both 3D and 2D available. The 2D had people packing in. We saw it in 3D and the theater was pretty empty--4pm showing. I guess folks don't want to pay the extra $2 for 3D.

Out of curiousity, how much did everyone pay? Our tickets were $8.50 ea including the 3D. I had a fandango certificate for up to $14.50 each ticket.

We have now seen it in both formats. Loved both. After the first time (3D) I wanted to email all those I know with kids to tell them to go see it. It is that good. Even those without kids will love.

We saw it opening day, Thanksgiving eve, and again Saturday night. Saturday night we arrived 15 minutes early and there were barely any seats left. I loved it as much the second time! I read one review that said it was the best Disney film since Beauty and the Beast. I agree. The music was really good, too.

Took the two kiddos...and my 4 year old sat through most of it!

I thought it was great and we saw it in 3D which I believe really added to our experience.

I loved the story and loved that it wasn't really all about the romance and becoming a princess thing!

It was a good movie. I don't see the similarities with the Hans Christian Andersen tale though. It really had nothing to do with the original story. I know they say it is loosely based on it, but it's not really based on it at all.

Went to see Frozen last night and loved it. The animation and music were spectacular. Great job Disney! When you go see it, remember to stay after the credits for a surprise funny scene. :rotfl2:

Saw it last night, we all loved it. My 5 year old DD said it was her new favorite and my 23 month old DD sat through about 90% of it. It was SO cute!

I think the last time I paid $6 to see a movie was 20 years ago! We paid $13.50 to see the 3D version while visiting our daughter in Wilmington, DE. And we thought that was a deal! Why do east coast cities charge more for everything than inland cities?

FWIW, we loved, loved the film. The music, the story, the animation, everything. And the 3D was worth it just for the animation short alone. So cool!

Got a thumbs up from DD11 and I thought it was very well done. We saw it in 3D as that was the only time we could seem to fit in over the busy weekend. This will definitely be one of the holiday favorites we will watch every year.

We loved Frozen in 3D. :goodvibes

we did too and the pre-movie short " Get a Horse" was hysterical and fascinating
with the way it was done I was a little concerned that 3-D would give me a headache but this is not the 3-D I am used to in attractions We saw it at DTD AMC Thanksgiving night think it was about $25 for 2 adult tickets

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter