Fun, cheap, and quick? What are some cool sites to see?

beckysko

Mouseketeer
We're doing one week on property, and then one week off property. I like to do little local sightseeing things, but nothing that is going to take a whole day, cost too much money, or be too involved.

I'm thinking like, a fun ice cream stand....an interesting park to run around in, a cool statue, etc.

We're doing one week on property, and then one week off property. I like to do little local sightseeing things, but nothing that is going to take a whole day, cost too much money, or be too involved.

I'm thinking like, a fun ice cream stand....an interesting park to run around in, a cool statue, etc.
Jeremiah’s Italian Ice shops are really popular. They just added a Windermere location:
https://jeremiahsice.com/

The Orlando Eye complex has a lot to see and do with quite a few restaurants too.

There’s community theater productions at the Shakespeare Theater - we attended the production of West Side Story and it was excellent!

VooDoo Donuts recently opened in Universal’s CityWalk and their specialty donuts are a big draw if you don’t mind paying for parking to browse shops, eat, and maybe watch a movie.

The Showcase of Citrus is fun! You can do a monster truck tour of the groves, pick oranges or other citrus in season, visit their country store, wine tasting.

The Showcase of Citrus is fun! You can do a monster truck tour of the groves, pick oranges or other citrus in season, visit their country store, wine tasting.

So funny you mention that - we did go there last year, but it was August so there was no picking going on :( The monster truck wasn't up and running either, so we mostly just had a frozen treat and walked around looking at the chickens :(

So funny you mention that - we did go there last year, but it was August so there was no picking going on :( The monster truck wasn't up and running either, so we mostly just had a frozen treat and walked around looking at the chickens :(

Sorry to hear that! Maybe a redo some other time of the year!

Jeremiah’s Italian Ice shops are really popular. They just added a Windermere location:
https://jeremiahsice.com/

VooDoo Donuts recently opened in Universal’s CityWalk and their specialty donuts are a big draw if you don’t mind paying for parking to browse shops, eat, and maybe watch a movie.

We tried VooDoo Donuts on Mother's day and waited in line 30 minutes for mediocre donuts. I'd rather do to DD or KK.

So you want to stay in Orlando for the week off property? I would suggest heading to the beach for a few days. Clearwater (near Pier 60) has Buskers, movies in the park, and other free things to do. https://www.sunsetsatpier60.com

Clearwater Marine Aquarium is nearby.

I would also suggest the Salvador Dalí Museum which is in St. Pete.
http://thedali.org/

If you only want to stay in Orlando, look at the Orlando CITY calendar.
http://www.cityoforlando.net/calendar/

You might even want to try the Stray Boots Scavenger Hunt / Walking tours. We did their French Quarters New Orleans version with a group of cheerleaders ages 5-15. You only need to do it on one phone unless you want to "compete" with others in your group.
https://www.strayboots.com/usa/Orlando/

Last edited:

I was going to suggest Showcase of Citrus as well. It’s a nice free place for a picnic, but you’ve already been.

The Crayola Experience could be fun if your kids like art.

The Orlando aquarium while not the cheapest would be fun and quick and your kids are just the right age. It’s a very small aquarium, so good for younger kids who maybe can’t walk as far and don’t have the long attention spans a larger aquarium would require. You can see it in 30 minutes to an hour depending how quickly you move through. It is very much geared toward young children. There are cartoon fish swimming around inside the tanks with the real fish who tell the kids educational information about the animals. There is also a little passport book, and the kids can collect stamps in it as they go to different exhibits.

Also try checking out this site: https://www.roadsideamerica.com/map/fl

We use it on trips to find the kind of places you are talking about. Places we can just stop for a quick cheap break, not main attraction type places. You may find something that appeals to you listed. You kind of have to sift through it, but we’ve found some gems hidden among “the largest ball of yarn” type places. Most of the places listed are free. However some do charge. Its usually minimal if they do, but good to be aware of that.

Another option that is fun for exploring new areas is geocaching. Not sure if your family has ever tried that, but it can be a great free way to spend a few hours. Just be safe about it. We stick to public areas and nature parks or ones that are sponsored by a reputable organization such as a museum or something. Don’t want to be going off into areas you aren’t familiar with in a strange city.

Also, one of the dinner shows in the area or an airboat tour is fun.

Lake Eola has a really nice farmer’s market on Sundays. You can stroll along the lake, feed swans (there’s a ton of them), or you can take a swan boat out on the lake.

The Morse Museum in Winter Park has the largest collection of Tiffany glass. Downtown Winter Park is also really lovely. There’s a boat tour that takes you down beautiful canals and past massive estates.

There’s a few botanical gardens/parks around: Leu Gardens, Mead Gardens, and Dickson Azalea Park.

Last edited:
Hereis one to try

Blue Heron River Tours at Hontoon Landing ...... It is a Hours + Slow boat Tour

through the St Johns River Mangrove Swamps

www. blueheronrivertours.com at Hontoon Landing , 2317 River Ridge Road , Deland (North of Orlando ) Fl 32720

Phone 386 873 4843

There are 2 trips ( + ) a day ....... each boat takes over 50 passengers

As it is a 35 mile drive ....... The early AFTERNOON Tour is the best.one to take.

Here is another one.

An Airboat tour through the Swamps

AirBoat Rides at Midway www.airboatridesatmidway.com

This Airboat tour is at Christmas on Hwy 50 going towards Titisville

Airboat Rides at Midway 28501 E.Colonial Drive, Christmas , Fl 32709 Phone 407 568 6790

As you are there spend some time at the Playground & The Replica Army Fort " Fort Christmas "

My kids enjoyed Wonderworks! I think our tickets got us 2 days for the price of one. It was nice, as we went in August, and we needed a couple days out of the sun (it's not a full day thing; rather maybe a few hours at most). We ate lunch there, and I recall it being very reasonable to do so. My youngest loved the indoor rope course!

This was back when they were maybe 10 years old or so I think. It's fun for younger kids.

There is also a giant orange in Kissimmee. It's basically a gift shop, but the kids thought it was cool.

My kids enjoyed Wonderworks! I think our tickets got us 2 days for the price of one. It was nice, as we went in August, and we needed a couple days out of the sun (it's not a full day thing; rather maybe a few hours at most). We ate lunch there, and I recall it being very reasonable to do so. My youngest loved the indoor rope course!

This was back when they were maybe 10 years old or so I think. It's fun for younger kids.

There is also a giant orange in Kissimmee. It's basically a gift shop, but the kids thought it was cool.

Oops I posted before writing something....I was thinking of the big orange, it looks cool. That kind of thing is totally what I'm looking for, just a fun photo op casual stop in kind of place :)

How about a trip to Ikea? If you don't have one where you live, they are a fun place to visit, and very cheap eats.

We did tubing on one of our down days..we actually got to see a manatee.we stopped at Walmart and got some cheap 3 dollar floats...the cost as 6 bucks to get into the state park..it was about an hour and 10 mins from our rental. There was one closer but class see due to bacteria levels. We had a great time. We took a picnic lunch. We also did Daytona and coconut beach.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter