GAC questions....

krismom

<font color=blue>New Rule:<br><marquee><font color
:wave2: Hi everyone!
I will be going to Disneyworld this summer with my son who has chronic asthma. I have obtained a doctor's note to utilize his nebulizer in the parks as well as state that he needs his jogging stroller as a mobility device. My son is 4 and doesn't outwardly appear to have any disabilities. My question is... if I have the note with me, do I need to bring him to get the pass? I wanted to leave the kids at the hotel while I activated our passes and got the GAC on the first night we arrive... so we can get started right away the first day! Thanks for any information you may have....
Kris

It only takes a few minutes to get a GAC. I have a disabled 7 year old and we always bring her withus. That way they can verify the child's existance. I was able to change an existing GAC for our trip...but that was because I already had the GAC with the dates on it.
She too doesn't look disabled and goes in a stroller. I would take him. Better safe then sorry.

Hi, when I got one for my son I happen to have him with me but I also brought a report with me. Since the GAC was for him I wanted him to "help" me get it. Good luck.

I believe you have to have the person for whom you are getting the GAC with you. You do not need a doctor's note. No one will give you a problem with using the inhaler in the parks. My daughter carries one with her all the time.

I heard the Disney is getting stricter on handing out the passes becasue too many people abused them, ie. renting wheelchairs when not really needed, misrepresenting a disABILITY when there wasn't one, etc. I would say that to be safe, you could take your son with the note and talk to them. We go to Guest Services at one of the parks in the afternoon before we plan to visit a park to avoid having to stand in the line which always seems to be there in the morning.

Hi--

As a general policy, the person needing the Guest Assistance Card must be present when obtaining the card. However, this is a general policy and not a hard and fast rule.

I am assuming you will be asking for a Guest Assistance Card to allow your son to utilize his stroller as a wheelchair so he can wait comfortably in the stroller while waiting in line. In that case, I am pretty confident that a Guest Relations Cast Member would be willing to give you that Guest Assistance Card without having your son present.

The possibilities for abuse with the "Stroller as Wheelchair" Guest Assistance stamp is so minimal it should not be a problem to obtain the card.

As was mentioned in other posts, the doctor's note is not necessary, though you are welcome to bring it along if you like.

Have a magical vacation :)

The problem with abuse that Disney is being stricter on is at DisneyLand, not WDW.
At DisneyLand, most of the lines are not wheelchair accessible, so there was an incentive to getting a wheelchair because wheelchair users did not wait in the regular line. So many people were getting Special Assistance Pases (the name for the GAC at Disneyland, that the "special" lines were sometimes 45 minutes long (form what I have read). Also, all the SAPs were the same and basically gave anyone with a GAC access to the "special" lines.

At WDW, the majority of lines are wheelchair accessible, so wheelchair users wait in the same lines with everyone else for the most part. GACs at WDW are individualized to the person with a disability. So, for example, someone who needs to use a stroller as a wheelchair will have a GAC that says that. Someone who needs a place to wait out of the sun will have GAC that says that, etc.

What they are doing at DisneyLand is changing from a system where everyone (no matter what the need) gets the same card to the system in use at WDW, where each person has to explain a little about their needs so the CM can give the card that gives appropriate assistance.

Originally posted by tigger2on
...... I was able to change an existing GAC for our trip...but that was because I already had the GAC with the dates on it......

I hope you don't mind me asking - but do you mean that you were able to exchange an old GAC from a previous visit for a new one on your next visit??

We kept our GAC from last year and I am wondering if I should bring it with us this year and show it to guest relations so that can issue the same type of one for this trip??

Thanks

It does help (at least I think so) to bring your old GAC. That way the CMs can see what sorts of assistance you got on yyour last trip. That doesn't necessarily mean you will get a GAC with the same stamps (sometimes conditions change), but it gives the CM a starting point.

On my last two visits to WDW, I just mentioned to the CM in Guest Relations what my previous GAC allowed me to do. I don't bother to bring the old ones. I think I did bring it back after my first GAC, but I've never felt I needed it.

If you obtained a GAC card last year, can you use the same GAC card this year? Does the card change from year to year? I believe last year the GAC card was blue.

Thanks!

If you obtained a GAC card last year, can you use the same GAC card this year? Does the card change from year to year? I believe last year the GAC card was blue.
No, you can't.
When you get the GAC, the CM usually makes it valid for the length of your currect stay (like, if you will be at WDW from March 17 thru the 24th, it will expire on March 24th). Some people who have AP or visit WDW very frequently have reported that they had GACs with a longer date, but other than that, you need to get a new GAC for each trip.

Originally posted by missymj

Thanks!

I stop by Guest Relations at the first park we visit on our vacation to get a GAC for that trip. It only takes a few minutes. I've never had a CM give me a hard time about getting a GAC.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter